Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think they're replacing our MCU1 in our 2015 S with a MCU2! [Update: Not MCU2]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our MCU on our 2015 Model S with AP died on 3/12. Scheduled through the app and initially had a mobile appointment like many others and it was changed to a Service Center Appointment for tomorrow 3/26. They cancelled it today and moved it to next week. I texted why and they said the parts have not arrived yet. They did send a new estimate that is much higher than the original one. Looking at the price, I think we're getting a MCU2 !! Waiting to get confirmation that is the case via text. This is the estimated invoice, is that part number an MCU2?

Here is the invoice:

Attachments

• image001.png
    image001.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 586
Reactions: mahagala
Our MCU on our 2015 Model S with AP died on 3/12. Scheduled through the app and initially had a mobile appointment like many others and it was changed to a Service Center Appointment for tomorrow 3/26. They cancelled it today and moved it to next week. I texted why and they said the parts have not arrived yet. They did send a new estimate that is much higher than the original one. Looking at the price, I think we're getting a MCU2 !! Waiting to get confirmation that is the case via text. This is the estimated invoice, is that part number an MCU2?

I'm guessing (like others) that this is a brand new MCU1.5 replacement.

For my MCU2 with IC2 Infotainment upgrade, they ordered and installed this part number:

"MCU Upgrade(1582613-00-A)"

and then they also had these two for the HW3 upgrade (yes the bolts needed for it are an extra part numbers...weird)

"MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5- NA (9874561-00-A)"
"NUT,HEX-FLNG,M5X.8,STL,ZNC,NYLOCK(1012845-00-A)"

The full details of which I documented here: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...to-mcu2-for-2500.145473/page-156#post-4570366

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Ok. Makes sense. Based on the price I'm assuming it is a brand new MCU 1.5 and not remanufactured?

The part number. 1004777-00-X the letter will increase as they revise but is still mcu 1.5. MCU 2 part number is listed in post 9 I think they're replacing our MCU1 in our 2015 S with a MCU2!

And this is Really really expensive mcu replacement! It does seem new as it does not say reman, reman are currently about $1300 afaik.

I spent $1600 for an instrument cluster recently. At that time, there was no MCU2 available. Guess I'll just plan on another $5k upgrade in the future. Cheaper than a new Model S. Or maybe I'll have Pete Gruber do it because the cost for an out of warranty powertrain is going to really $uck.

My 2016 MS 90d is currently at the service center awaiting parts, according to my app. I texted Tesla asking what parts and they replied they ordered an MCU. I asked if it was an MCU2 and they said correct. I have not received any quote so I'm assuming I'm getting an MCU2 to replace my MCU1 under warranty. Will update this post after the completion date of March 31st.

Wow, that would be a pleasant surprise... anymore these days it's not too uncommon to get a refurbished unit or something. Keep us posted Cape Coddess.
Nope, I didn't get an MCU2. whoever answered me from Tesla didn't know what they were talking about.

But the new MCU is so much better than my original ever was so I'm going to guess it's a 1.5 as opposed to a one.

Nope, I didn't get an MCU2. whoever answered me from Tesla didn't know what they were talking about.

But the new MCU is so much better than my original ever was so I'm going to guess it's a 1.5 as opposed to a one.

1.5 is no faster than a 1.0. Our upgraded eMMC for both are just as fast, and will remain fast longer since there is much more space to wear down before failure. The eMMC slows down over time as it gets close to death.

You have a 2016? You likely had a 1.5 before. 2016 was when 1.5 was introduced. Also AFAIK all 2016 had the same tegra board (the processor of the mcu) since the switch to the newer style was even before the MCU 1.5. Yea, sorry it's confusing, Tesla has a way of changing parts around..

• Informative
Reactions: Cape Coddess