Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think this is a sign - Tesla proposes enormous sign outside Fremont factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Live Streaming Feed of Tesla Large Factory Sign before Fremont Planning Commissioners

Sorry I didn't post this earlier:

Live Streaming | City of Fremont Official Website

Commissioners are requesting why the sign isn't even larger!! LOL!

Mods please remove individual new thread when this meeting is over. Thanks!

Can't wait to see H U G E production version of Model X on this sign!!!

Update:

It was just approved 6-0-1 (abstention because member was travelling and couldn't view the site)

Last edited:
If this is Tesla driving up demand, well, we should worry. This is bone-headed. Tacky. Ugly. Wow, I just can't believe they'd stoop to something like this. Like Merrill just said, low key and subtle is the brand -- quiet and Ninja-like like the car. Not big and obnoxious and blocking views.

Okay, I think some context needs to be considered. What view are they blocking here? A car factory, an endless sea of cars in a parking lot, a very busy highway. I Know I may view the tesla factory as a golden palace that I could stare at for days but I doubt the general public has the same feeling. It is still a factory at the end of the day.

I have a Chrysler plant near me and back in the day they use to have a hugh sign on top of the factory that said "Home of the Neon" in large individual lighted letters. Now I get Chrysler is not Tesla but it made a hugh impression on me when I was younger. Ever time I saw a Neon on the road I would think about the factory. It definitely raised brand awareness and the sense that the cars are being produced not only in the US but also locally. It does create a sense of community pride.

Okay, I think some context needs to be considered. What view are they blocking here? A car factory, an endless sea of cars in a parking lot, a very busy highway. I Know I may view the tesla factory as a golden palace that I could stare at for days but I doubt the general public has the same feeling. It is still a factory at the end of the day.

I have a Chrysler plant near me and back in the day they use to have a hugh sign on top of the factory that said "Home of the Neon" in large individual lighted letters. Now I get Chrysler is not Tesla but it made a hugh impression on me when I was younger. Ever time I saw a Neon on the road I would think about the factory. It definitely raised brand awareness and the sense that the cars are being produced not only in the US but also locally. It does create a sense of community pride.
I need to see the sign, but I have enjoyed how Tesla has done its advertising. I do not think they need an in your face sign and think it would send the wrong message about what electric cars are about and especially Tesla in general. I reserve judgement until I can see the sign itself in context to its surroundings.

New Tesla Factory Sign Contents

According to the Tesla rep's testimony at the meeting I watched:

The Tesla Factory sign will have a huge image of one Tesla Model (perhaps the X will be the first one?) and the Tesla Brand Name / LOGO -- that's all. It will be lighted so visible 24/7, but it is a static sign, not an LED billboard, to minimize freeway driver distraction trying to read what it says.

The reason the are building it is because the existing huge "TESLA" sign on the southern side of the building is getting blocked by the new neigbor's corp. campus building the the south that was just completed, Fischer Instruments. The met with them last Weds. and they had no issues with the sign. They also discussed other issues (unspecified) during the meeting.

Cheers,
Russ

I remember hearing a rumor that the sign was put up at the request of the city of Fremont. Fremont is trying to bring jobs and industry back to the city so they want everyone to know that:

TESLA IS HERE

who drives by. Something about promoting jobs and new industry.

They were so close to becoming a rail yard.

I remember hearing a rumor that the sign was put up at the request of the city of Fremont. Fremont is trying to bring jobs and industry back to the city so they want everyone to know that:

TESLA IS HERE

who drives by. Something about promoting jobs and new industry.

They were so close to becoming a rail yard.

This makes sense, because planning commissioners during the meeting kept asking "I thought it should be larger". "Are you sure you're placing it in a spot with maximum visibility from the freeway?" "It's not as tall as the Pacific Commons sign." etc. :biggrin:

If they complete the sign right away, I predict first we'll see a tease of the Model X, followed by the actual production-intent vehicle once they've revealed it, hopefully at a great factory party on the weekend just like Model S in Oct. 2011.

I drive by Kato Road fairly often to bypass freeway traffic in Fremont especially the Friday afternoon rush, so I'll keep my eye on sign construction progress and report to the thread.