TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

I thought I had a standard keyfob

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fasteddie7, Jan 22, 2017.

1. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

My wife and I went to a Tesla social event today where we got to talking about keyfob sleeves. Some folks showed their red and blue sleeves, while others showed their fobs, when I realized mine didn't look anything like theirs, I pulled it out and everyone was surprised to not have seen that type before. I didn't know any other owners so I was shocked to see that I have a cover already on mine while never knowing it. Anyone with a ap2 car have something similar or even cooler? IMG_20170122_162608.jpg IMG_20170122_162608.jpg IMG_20170122_162547.jpg

2. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

That's the sleeve I got when I purchased last August. I think it's been around awhile before that.

• Like x 1
  3. Bonlaw

Bonlaw Member

My latest S had that fob holder. After a while the elastic stretched and fob came out. Went back to regular silicone fob cover

• Like x 1
  4. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

I call that the fobkini. I think it's been the standard issue for a year or so, but sometimes the delivery people run out of them

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. GSP

GSP Member

fasreddie7,

Thanks for the pictures of the new Tesla fob holders. I had heard about them but had not seen one before.

I have the silicone fob pockets from abstract ocean. They are great, and look much more protective than the new factory fob holders in the pictures.

GSP

• Like x 2
  6. bswn1

bswn1 Member

These are the new Bluetooth LE keys, they came out a few months ago. You can read about it on Teslarati.

• Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. whitex

whitex Active Member

If you take the rubber off, it's the same keyfob as everyone else. My 2017 car came with those, but once the rubber cover is removed it looks identical to the 2015 or 2013 fobs. It is the best of the 3 Tesla covers I ever got (first was a stretchy polyester pouch, then leather holder) but we still removed it and just using a silicone holder that covers the entire remote - mostly because we already had one purchased before we got the car. I saved those though, maybe if the silicone ones need replacement, I can just use these.

• Helpful x 1
  8. croman

croman Active Member

I removed mine and put on an abstract ocean blue one (to match my car). As others have said, it protects better and I like having the grip on the entire fob.

• Like x 1
  9. Eardoc

Eardoc Member

This is exactly what i was given with my new S delivered Jan 4th, 2017.

• Like x 1
  10. RacerX

RacerX 3x F1 World Champion #44

Columbus/CLE/Cincinnati/Mason, OH. /Detroit USA
    Same.

• Like x 1
  11. outerlimits

outerlimits Member

My 2013 CPO which I picked up in December came with those key fob sleeves. I just figured Tesla put them on to hide the wear on the used fobs. A few days after pick up I took the sleeves off and noticed scuffs and wear, all of which were well obscured by the sleeves. So back on they went! I think they look pretty good and provide a nice tactile experience.

• Like x 1
  12. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

I have the same sleeve, took delivery on 11/30/16.

• Like x 1
  13. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

Are you sure about this? My understanding is only the Model X currently uses Bluetooth LE keys, Model S has always and still uses RFID technology.

• Like x 1
  14. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

Well, my brand new Model S key does not appear as a Bluetooth device on any of my Bluetooth discovery devices. Based on the source of my information I stand by my belief that only the Model X key is currently utilizing Bluetooth LE technology.

Also, the Model X key is physically larger than the Model S key.

@FredLambert can you share any additional information on your source as to whether it is both Model S & X keys?

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

If your CPO fob is scuffed you can probably have it "rebuilt" at no charge at your next annual service appointment, or possibly even by just stopping by a service center. (If you're going to just stop by, I'd call first to ask about it.)

• Informative x 1
  16. JPP

JPP Active Member

There is a 'refurb' kit at Tesla with all of the outer shell cover components. Most useful if your small plastic loop breaks at the end of the fob, such that you cannot attach your 'naked' key to a keychain etc.I got my service manager to send me a kit a couple of years ago when I needed it--not too hard to install.

• Informative x 2
  17. outerlimits

outerlimits Member

I am not too bothered by the wear. Although, one does have circles showing through on each press area (trunk, hood, roof). I'm surprised they gave it to me in that condition. But with the sleeve on, they look perfect. But these are good tips for when I go in for my annual service.

18. whitex

whitex Active Member

If you see wear circles around the buttons, the skin may eventually wear through and fall out completely (button will still work, but it will be uncovered). It happened to me once with the 2013 MS. 2015 fob has more wear on it now but it's held up great, so they may have improved the design. SC can replace the outer fob skin in minutes.

19. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

Be happy you got a key fob holder. I picked up CPO last week and they were out of them and had the keys tied to a plastic zip tie. Imagine spending 72k on a car and being handed keys on a zip tie?! They told me that they would fed ex me leather holders when they get more in stock. I definitely let Tesla know about this on the survey. In the meantime, I ordered these for my wife and I and we really like them:

Topfit Silicone Car Keychain for the Tesla Model S (Black Pink 2 of Set) Amazon.com: Topfit Silicone Car Keychain for the Tesla Model S (Black Pink 2 of Set): Automotive

• Like x 1