Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I thought I new every control and setting on my M3 - just found a new wiper control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I know the subject is a little clikc-bait-y, but it is true. Prior to getting the car I watched every youtube video. Then with the car I have driven over 1000 miles with literally no where to go. And I thought I knew every control, but today I discovered something new

The button on the windhsield wiper stalk has TWO setting.

A FULL press does what I have always known - activates the wipers and sprays wiper flued

The part I did NOT know.... you can push the button partially - push in, but not all the way. There is detent on the "Soft press" and... you get wipers but NO washer fluid.

OK, maybe not the most exciting functionality, but again, the exciting part is discovering this after having no idea it existed.

I also checked the owners manual, and it does not really describe this. It says:

To perform a single wipe with the windshield
wipers, press and immediately release the
button on the end of the left-hand steering
column lever.
and

Fully press and hold the button on the end of
the left-hand steering column lever to spray
washer fluid onto the windshield. While
spraying the windshield, the wipers turn on.​

So if you are REALLY paying attention you might pick up on "Fully press" and deduce there is a non-fully press?

I wish they would add a bit more function to the wiper control button. Maybe double-tap the button to set it to wipe at low speed, triple-tap for medium speed, etc.

Anything to reduce my reliance on the touch screen keeps me safe.

Reactions: bcpm3p
I wish they would add a bit more function to the wiper control button. Maybe double-tap the button to set it to wipe at low speed, triple-tap for medium speed, etc.

Anything to reduce my reliance on the touch screen keeps me safe.
At least you were not an early Model 3 owner since the software was not even available for automatic wipers in early 2018. No choice but to use the touch screen. Same for automatic high beams.
And yes I know there are lots of folks who dislike the current automatic wipers and high beams I think many new owners would be very surprised by how many major features were not available in 2018.
Oh and another one we didn't have- no way to turn on the back seat heaters. Several dozen more but I'll skip those:)

Reactions: AdamMacDon
Like a few others have said, this is actually standard in most cars. I've driven Audi's, Mercs, Dodge, Ford, and most of these brands have a similar functionality. A quick hit of the mist button is supposed to do a dry wipe. Helps if you just want to sweep the wipers once.