Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I thought the battery packs were sealed from water intrusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably ran over debris and punctured the battery housing. It's happened before. And there's a lot of debris in a hurricane damaged city. There are videos of Teslas driving through knee deep water. Elon said the Model S will float due to being so water tight.

Also, a "ton" of EVs would be less than half of one EV. The article you're reading is blatantly anti-EV.

There's a difference between driving though a certain amount of water, and longer term submersion in water. It may be the water pressure from the deep submersion pushed it's way through. This is my home State. The ocean surge in some areas was at the roof level of homes. A car isn't as watertight as a submarine.
Yes, both gas and electric cars catch fire. The battery fires are significantly harder to put out, so that's a valid concern.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Um. Saw the headline for that article on my iPhone's news app one day. Displayed: "Fox News".

I really hate to say this.. but Fox News's news division has been steadily losing decent journalists for some time now. I mean, there's still some good people over there, just not as many as there used to be. It's not that, shall we say, news organizations to the left of Fox can't do idiot things, but when Fox rolls up, it's like watching the clown car at the circus: Practically anything pops out. They're getting closer to supermarket tabloid status, along with the rest of the Murdoch clan's holdings.

Seems pretty clear they're talking about flooded EV cars including Teslas that are catching fire:

So many ignorant or stupid comments on there about EVs. This is why I quit social media, too much FUD and misinformation that I just wanted to get away from it all.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Could this also be an issue for Powerwalls that are exposed to water. Say a House and or property is partially flooded or debris damages the Powerwalls

Could this also be an issue for Powerwalls that are exposed to water. Say a House and or property is partially flooded or debris damages the Powerwalls

So even though the Solar roof and panels were damaged they still provided power. Even though the House was under water the owners went back when it was all clear and were just living off their solar and powerwalls. I don't know if I would plug into outlets in a House that was under water even if it had backup power.

Last edited: