Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I thought the direct buying experience was supposed to be better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look I get this is first world problems, but this is kinda annoying. I was looking forward to playing with my new toy this weekend.

They had the Model X on the lot, ready to be prepped for delivery in existing inventory. a 2019 six seater with center console. I put the deposit down, had financing all lined up. Even did the pre-quote on my trade in before I went in. They told me to go to Carmax to see if we'd get more, so I did and got the Carmax trade in ($60 more, woo hoo) and was ready to just get the purchase order/bill of sale (aka the MVPA) doc to give to my bank to release my funding. Insurance change ready to be flipped so I could pick up my new toy.

nothing, all day. First call 'we emailed it to you'. nothing in email, asked for it to work email even though I'd gotten all other emails from tesla (deposit, fill out these things, etc). No email.

I get an email that they accepted the carmax valuation, and I respond with where's the MVPA if you want my money I need that, banks all close to consumer lending around 5pm...and they say "but we are still waiting on the trade information to come back before this can be generated" What I have no idea...every other car buying experience was hand them the keys to what i'm getting rid of and while I get new car lined up it's done.

I tell them I need it to release the financing or I can't do delivery that they wouldn't let me get scheduled for Sunday at 10, but get no further response. So 5pm passes and no MVPA, and I check my online order and the trade in is still suck at the 'we'll contact you within 24 hours' (hint: that's passed too)

The longest I've spent buying a car was 3 hours start to finish when they had what I wanted in stock. Now we're looking at least 5 days. I've wanted one of these forever, and was really excited, now I'm just annoyed. They really need to work on the buying experience, as I'm not that pleased with it. This shouldn't be that hard.

Thank you for reading me whine about not being able to spend $89k today. :)

There is no need to apologize for venting. Their customer experience is very challenged right now from trying to give them your money to service. It's just an is. They will hopefully take their customers voice seriously and begin to address our concerns or they will continue to damage their brand. Their intention has always been to provide a better experience than the traditional dealer model, but the demand has strained pretty much all aspects of the company (seemingly).

i don't know why NADA sues or tries to legislate them out of selling cars. They should just pay people to talk about their terrible experiences and run ads based on that. I finally gave up and called them again, this time was told that my trade-in paperwork wasn't in. Too bad it says it was on their website, so for the third time I gave them my loan information... I don't know why they need that since I'm self financing. Far as I know my credit union is only giving me the check for the amount I owe after trade in, since they're paying the other loan off. They never called me back after that, but my due date just moved to Monday without them saying anything so...I guess? if I don't get the stupid MVPA first thing monday AM, still can't make 10 AM. Sheesh.

Unfortunately your experience is very common.

There have been several threads just like your recently.

Tesla makes the best cars on the planet. They have no clue how to actually sell them.
Can you imagine how many cars they’d be able to deliver each quarter if they learned how to!

Tesla NEEDS to start hiring people with car sales experience! Not someone who worked at Apple store.

To be fair to Tesla, once I got in contact with the Delivery Manager, things changed and progressed very quickly all day sunday.

Then, 24m before delivery my CU went 'oh, uh, we only loan 89% never mind we've been telling you that whole number since last week' I'm still really confused on how that happened. I was upfront the entire time about the deal, weird.

Found another CU, applied, and got funded by 4pm. Hoping to take delivery now on Wednesday if all works out.

@trekkie - Sadly - the Tesla model (as it stands) is impacted by the worst part - the people working there.

Purchasing the X was the slowest and longest process of any other vehicle that we've ever purchased at my workplace (and in my family). Most vehicles at a dealership are done and we're out in a few hours (we've purchased vehicles in other states in less time than it took for this X). With Tesla, unnecessary back and forth, the separation between departments and groups, and the fact that we have to do more of the work getting them to communicate is annoying.

Once you get your X, have fun (and great username!)

My Sales Advisor cost me $1.500 for his ineptitude. The kid included the the PA state rebate for EVs $1,500 in my "savings analysis", My M3 Dual Motor Extended Range Came out to $54K. When I went to file for the rebate it was rejected because the car was over $50K. When I asked him about this he had clear knowledge of the limit. Then he told me it was the FSD option that put it over and I should have purchased it later. HE DIDN'T TELL ME THIS BEFORE THE SALE!

He said he was sorry.

My Sales Advisor cost me $1.500 for his ineptitude. The kid included the the PA state rebate for EVs $1,500 in my "savings analysis", My M3 Dual Motor Extended Range Came out to $54K. When I went to file for the rebate it was rejected because the car was over $50K. When I asked him about this he had clear knowledge of the limit. Then he told me it was the FSD option that put it over and I should have purchased it later. HE DIDN'T TELL ME THIS BEFORE THE SALE!

He said he was sorry.
You didn’t know about the limit?

Reactions: K3Man