Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I thought we get 31 miles per hour with NEMA14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would expect at 31 mph charge would work out to 50 km/hr. I never have bothered to watch too closely but with a 300km trip coming up I'll be sure to pay a lot more attention.

39A @ 232V is 9.05 kW. That's about 28 miles per hour of charge with 10 kW being 31 miles per hour, or 45 km/hr. Your car has 13 km to full standard-mode charge (I think), and is reporting 20 minutes remaining (or 1/3 of an hour). That comes out to 39 km/hr (close to the 38 it reports). Is some of the power going to other systems ?

FlasherZ's post acted as a good reminder that I wanted to double-check this after the 4.1 update.

Rated: 26mi/hr, 237V, 40/40A while at 63mi SOC
ChargingRated.jpg

Ideal: 32mi/hr, 236V, 40/40A while at 73mi SOC
ChargingIdeal.jpg

I'm using a NEMA 14-50R.

Last edited:
FlasherZ's post acted as a good reminder that I wanted to double-check this after the 4.1 update.

Rated: 26mi/hr, 237V, 40/40A while at 63mi SOC
Ideal: 32mi/hr, 236V, 40/40A while at 73mi SOC

I'm using a NEMA 14-50R.

That's what I see too, but that may not line up with the charging time. Subtract your current rated miles from 240, then divide by number of hours remaining. For example, 2 hours 30 minutes is 2.5. When I do the division, I always end up with the full 30-31 miles per hour of charging, although the display shows 22-26. And because the charge finishes on time (at least from the few times I've watched it), that has to be correct.

Can you give me a photo of the large screen while it's charging?

That's what I see too, but that may not line up with the charging time. Subtract your current rated miles from 240, then divide by number of hours remaining. For example, 2 hours 30 minutes is 2.5. When I do the division, I always end up with the full 30-31 miles per hour of charging, although the display shows 22-26. And because the charge finishes on time (at least from the few times I've watched it), that has to be correct.

Can you give me a photo of the large screen while it's charging?
I didn't get home until after most of the charging was done. Nonetheless, in case it's useful here's the 17".
ChargingRatedNearTheEnd.jpg

Random observation: I didn't notice 'til now that this UI is showing the wrong wheels for my vehicle. The rendering is also missing the spoiler.

Last edited:
I didn't get home until after most of the charging was done. Nonetheless, in case it's useful here's the 17".
View attachment 14495

Random observation: I didn't notice 'til now that this UI is showing the wrong wheels for my vehicle. The rendering is also missing the spoiler.

You're too close to a full charge, but that's reflecting 28 mi/hr if you consider 7 miles are left to charge in 15 minutes (7/0.25). 39A at 240V is 9.36 kW. 31 * .936 is 29 mi/hr of charge.

You're too close to a full charge, but that's reflecting 28 mi/hr if you consider 7 miles are left to charge in 15 minutes (7/0.25). 39A at 240V is 9.36 kW. 31 * .936 is 29 mi/hr of charge.
I think the charge target is 238.5 (90% of 265), and the math lands a little closer in that case.

But yah, it's pretty close to full so may not be useful for your purposes.

This is what I am getting:

Still seems like I am not getting 31m/hr - even with "ideal" voltage and current.

240-191 = 49/1.75 hr = 28m/hr

Attachments

• charging.jpg
    charging.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Still seems like I am not getting 31m/hr - even with "ideal" voltage and current.
From your screenshots, "+2 mi" means you just started. IMO, you need at least "+20 mi" or "+30 mi" before the "mi/hr" estimation is past the "ramp up" stage.

I routinely see "20 mi/hr" (Rated) within the first few minutes of plugging it. After more time (10m?), it elevates to "26 mi/hr" (Rated).

Thanks - I have checked later on but still never seen over 23mi/hr. I will keep watching it - only had the car a week.
Also - sorry about the double image in my first post - thought I deleted this first one.

You all ignoring me? :smile:
Here's what I've said & believe: it depends on what version of software you're running and what setting you have selected. I believe it's doing the wrong thing in 4.x. In 3.x it depends on rated/projected; when set to rated it displays the proper value.

Here's what I've said & believe: it depends on what version of software you're running and what setting you have selected. I believe it's doing the wrong thing in 4.x. In 3.x it depends on rated/projected; when set to rated it displays the proper value.

Good point - behavior is likely dependent on SW version. In my case, I am on 4.1, and the charging rate adjusts between Rated and Ideal, pending on the settings.

I agree with this too.

I said earlier in the thread that I thought they baselined it in the wrong mode. It should have been baselined in Rated mode, then the multiplier added to increase it in Ideal mode. Instead, I suspect they baselined it in Ideal mode and then applied the ratio which would give the wrong numbers for both of them. It should be 31 rmph or 37 imph of charge, roughly.

FlasherZ, I remember that you responded to me when I first posted about this after receiving my car, believing something about the baseline is incorrect. I am on v4.1 (1.19.31), and I have seen 30 MPH charge rate, pulling 239V and 39-40A using rated mode.

In other words, same as aviators99.

If the drop is voltage is under 10%, you really don't have to worry about heat. At that current, you'd have a serious voltage drop if something were generating heat. A 10V drop is only a 250 milliohm resistance at 40A. #6 copper has about 500 milliohm resistance per 1,000 ft, so 250 mohm would point to a total (round-trip) circuit size of 500 ft, or 250 feet (one-way) from the panel.

The only other contributing factor could be a heavily-loaded transformer, or near-capacity on service wiring. To troubleshoot further, you'd want to measure voltage at the breaker panel main while the car is charging. If your voltage drops to 230V across the buss when the car is charging, it would point to more of a service / transformer load issue than circuit length.

Either way, 10v is nothing to sneeze at. It's within the 6% typically considered to be "normal".

While I am also a pedantic SOB, I'm primarily responding to this post because it was referenced in a recent thread, and it contains much good info that folks in the future may want to review, and the above text (emphasis mine), might be a bit confusing.

Given that the 10V voltage drop in the example IS WITHIN acceptable limits, it IS something to sneeze at... that is, I believe FlasherZ was saying don't worry about it even thought that's not what the phrase above tends to mean.

That having been said, thanks FlasherZ for the great info... now back to your regularly scheduled programming.