Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I told service about a tire defect, they said it was fine.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
33C4C83A-2982-467B-9CBD-B393AC89A630.jpeg 908401F7-1351-4580-B9CF-61413CE9A3E4.jpeg Hello everyone first time poster, long time reader.

First and foremost, I love my MX I think it is literally the best car in earth. I didn’t come here to smash on my favorite brand.

I took the car to service with a large list of minor repairs and concerns all due bill stuff in mid March.
One of my concerns was a small dent in the side of my right rear tire.
The technician inspected the tire and said it was fine, this was listed on my service documentation.

Today on my way home my right rear tire began to rapidly loose pressure. I was able to get pulled over safely and without damaging my rim. This was the same tire I had a concern about. To be clear I have never hit anything with any part of my ride. Zoom in on the pictures and take a look at my sidewall, it’s totally flawless.

Roadside tried to get me a loaner tire but none were available in my area (wtf). Next they said I could have it towed to a local tire shop. I don’t want some dime-a-dozen tire shop messing around with my baby. I feel that I presented the tire defect to Tesla and they choose to send me down the road with my kids in an unsafe car.

The nearest service center is 50 miles away and was closed at the time of the incident. I decided to leave my car parked with sentry mode on and a note in the window until tomorrow. It’s about a mile from my house in a safe location. Tomorrow I guess I’ll have it towed to the service center and deal with the tire, but I really don’t want my MX pulled up on a truck.

Are there Tesla Rangers that work in my area (Inland Empire, CA)? If this happened to you would you expect Tesla to replace the tire? Does anyone know if I have any better options? Can I wait for a loaner tire to become available?

Thanks,

FSD2020

That looks like the result of hitting a pot-hole to me. (20" tires are really sensitive to even little pot-holes.)

I'd be curious to see what the back side of the tire looks like.

Do you have pictures of what the small dent looked like before this happened? Was it in the same place?

I don’t have a before picture, I thought I did. I think it was in the same spot, but I can’t say 100% that it was. Pot holes exist of course and we all hit them sometimes, but I can’t think of any incidents that made me concerned for the tire. The only thing that bothers me is that I pointed it out to them specifically. The dent didn’t look like a dimple or have any crease in it, is was very shallow. About 1/2” wide, 1” long and so shallow that the lighting needed to be perfect to see it.

At the end of the day tyres are consumables and sadly sometimes they do fail or your just plain unlucky and a brand new Tyre dies because the sidewall gets a puncture etc etc

I don’t believe anyone would have replace a Tyre like that FOC unless they had just fitted it brand new and you notified them before leaving.

There must be a nail or screw in your tire. This happened to me when I first picked up the car on delivery. I kept getting low tire pressure on one tire. I took the car in for diagnostic multiple times at several service centers. They could not find the problem. Months later, a different service center found the leak. It was a slow leak. I managed to reinflate that tire for months because I did not like the uneven tire pressure on the screen display. Tesla charged me a nominal fee to remove the nail and patch the tire. It was like that on the first day delivery. I complained but it did not change anything. Few months later, I got another nail near the side wall and the entire tire gave out on me. I had the mobile team came to install another spare tire. In the end, I replaced all four tires because the car has 20k miles and wears are showing.

View attachment 406501 View attachment 406502 Hello everyone first time poster, long time reader.

First and foremost, I love my MX I think it is literally the best car in earth. I didn’t come here to smash on my favorite brand.

I took the car to service with a large list of minor repairs and concerns all due bill stuff in mid March.
One of my concerns was a small dent in the side of my right rear tire.
The technician inspected the tire and said it was fine, this was listed on my service documentation.

Today on my way home my right rear tire began to rapidly loose pressure. I was able to get pulled over safely and without damaging my rim. This was the same tire I had a concern about. To be clear I have never hit anything with any part of my ride. Zoom in on the pictures and take a look at my sidewall, it’s totally flawless.

Roadside tried to get me a loaner tire but none were available in my area (wtf). Next they said I could have it towed to a local tire shop. I don’t want some dime-a-dozen tire shop messing around with my baby. I feel that I presented the tire defect to Tesla and they choose to send me down the road with my kids in an unsafe car.

The nearest service center is 50 miles away and was closed at the time of the incident. I decided to leave my car parked with sentry mode on and a note in the window until tomorrow. It’s about a mile from my house in a safe location. Tomorrow I guess I’ll have it towed to the service center and deal with the tire, but I really don’t want my MX pulled up on a truck.

Are there Tesla Rangers that work in my area (Inland Empire, CA)? If this happened to you would you expect Tesla to replace the tire? Does anyone know if I have any better options? Can I wait for a loaner tire to become available?

Thanks,

FSD2020

Contacted roadside this morning and they found me a loaner tire! Last night they only searched for matched type and came up with nothing. Today they tried to find a tire that was the right size and were able to get me one.

Pro tip: If they say that no loaner is available, ask them to check if the provider has any tire available that is the right size.

I may pick up a spare just to keep in the garage as well.