TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

I took a tour of the factory today and did a quick drone shoot as well!

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by PorscheDealer, Sep 19, 2017.

1. PorscheDealer

PorscheDealer Member

I decided to take another tour of the factory today since the last time I did the tour was back in December 2012 (just before picking up my 2013 P85)...boy o boy has a lot changed!!! First of all you no longer go on a walking tour of the factory as you did back in 2012...it is just too large today so they use a tram system to shuttle you around. I HIGHLY recommend that everyone take a tour of the factory as it was truly a fascinating "ballet of robots and humans"! I ordered 2 Model 3's back in April 2016 on the 1st day that the ordering opened but after some careful consideration, I decided to buy another Model S instead and cancelled my Model 3 orders. And here is why:

Federal Tax Credits are expected to run out once Tesla hits 200k units which many expect to be at or near January 2018

Since I no longer owned a Model S (I sold my 2013 P85 in February 2017) I no longer got preferential treatment in terms of delivery time frame and thus was very likely to NOT receive the full Federal and/or State tax credits!

Air suspension is not available in the 3 and is now STD on the S (a must in my opinion in terms of comfort and "look" when lowered)

Now a quick 4.2 seconds 0-60 on the base 75kw S version ($69,500)

All Aluminum space frame on the S...cheaper steel used on the 3

Std all glass roof on the S

No self presenting door handles on the 3 (manual open/close - yuck)

Only the light Birch wood available on the Model 3 - no other choices

LED lights and LED fog lights are std on the S

Bigger and more comfortable seats in the S

20% larger on the S in terms of passenger comfort and storage

0.9% financing APR available on the S (nothing special available on the 3)

$1000 rebate available on the S along with LIFETIME supercharging (N/A on the 3)

Heated Seats, Power Mirrors and Adjustable Headrests all standard on the S

Cannot get the cool 21" wheels on the Model 3...max 19"

2 Multi Media Screens on the S instead of just 1 on the Model 3

Elon Musk was very clear when he told the public that the Model 3 is NOT simply a smaller S...it is actually a much cheaper version with cheaper materials used. The Model S will remain the flagship sedan for Tesla

Everyone will see the Model 3 as the poor man's Model S !

Here is a link to my unedited raw drone footage:

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
  2. PorscheDealer

PorscheDealer Member

I decided to take another tour of the factory today since the last time I did the tour was back in December 2012 (just before picking up my 2013 P85)...boy o boy has a lot changed!!! First of all you no longer go on a walking tour of the factory as you did back in 2012...it is just too large today so they use a tram system to shuttle you around. I HIGHLY recommend that everyone take a tour of the factory as it was truly a fascinating "ballet of robots and humans"! I ordered 2 Model 3's back in April 2016 on the 1st day that the ordering opened but after some careful consideration, I decided to buy another Model S instead and cancelled my Model 3 orders. And here is why:

Federal Tax Credits are expected to run out once Tesla hits 200k units which many expect to be at or near January 2018

Since I no longer owned a Model S (I sold my 2013 P85 in February 2017) I no longer got preferential treatment in terms of delivery time frame and thus was very likely to NOT receive the full Federal and/or State tax credits!

Air suspension is not available in the 3 and is now STD on the S (a must in my opinion in terms of comfort and "look" when lowered)

Now a quick 4.2 seconds 0-60 on the base 75kw S version ($69,500)

All Aluminum space frame on the S...cheaper steel used on the 3

Std all glass roof on the S

No self presenting door handles on the 3 (manual open/close - yuck)

Only the light Birch wood available on the Model 3 - no other choices

LED lights and LED fog lights are std on the S

Bigger and more comfortable seats in the S

20% larger on the S in terms of passenger comfort and storage

0.9% financing APR available on the S (nothing special available on the 3)

$1000 rebate available on the S along with LIFETIME supercharging (N/A on the 3)

Heated Seats, Power Mirrors and Adjustable Headrests all standard on the S

Cannot get the cool 21" wheels on the Model 3...max 19"

2 Multi Media Screens on the S instead of just 1 on the Model 3

Elon Musk was very clear when he told the public that the Model 3 is NOT simply a smaller S...it is actually a much cheaper version with cheaper materials used. The Model S will remain the flagship sedan for Tesla

Everyone will see the Model 3 as the poor man's Model S !

Here is a link to my unedited raw drone footage:

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 3
  3. kengchang

kengchang Member

Noooooooooooo! How many time do we have to explain this? $7500 last another quarter after 200K sold then it is 3750 for another 6 months and 1875 for another 6 months

• Like x 12
    • Helpful x 4
    • Informative x 3
  4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

With all that Model 3 negativity, your post surely sounds like an anti-sell. You sure you're not on the payroll?

And it's my understanding that supercharging is not free for the Model S unless you purchase via invite.

• Funny x 4
  5. joefee

joefee 2M+ page views on TMC Threads

We are lucky to be an ice free 2 Tesla family MS & M3. But if I only could have one, it would have to be the MS!

• Informative x 1
  6. codex57

codex57 Member

The tax credit seems to be the meat of your argument, but it's completely wrong. After that, your best argument is, what, the free supercharging? 1% difference in financing? Maybe air suspension, but maybe not as it possibly could come at the tail end of the max tax credit. Going up against a car that gets the same range as the S for half the price?

You really may as well just delete this whole thread. Or just delete all the words and leave the video.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  7. FlyingKiwi

FlyingKiwi Member

Yeah, was wondering why he posted this in the model 3 section myself, what pricked his insecurity that he had to come in here and try to lord it over us? *shrug*

and since i'm here..

I believe the doors are still electrically popped if the 12V power is good, Telsa just got rid of the horribly unreliable self presenting mechanism and still achieved the aerodynamically streamlined door handle they wanted. I call that a benefit, not a loss. I may however laugh at the OP if his door handles fail out of warranty at what I hear is a $1000/unit replacement cost :)

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

Where are the new 3 S X stored before been shipped by truck or train?

9. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Did you see a lot of 3's being built?

10. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

Postings like this really show me that I absolutely am not a car guy (anymore)...I couldn`t care less about any of OPs arguments.
    All I want is a quality car that gives me no trouble and has a size that`s comfortable to drive in my area.
    If I actually get a Tesla it will be a LR Model 3 without Pup and the smallest wheels WITH the aero covers left attached :rolleyes:

• Like x 3
    • Love x 3
  11. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Actually, two quarters: The full quarter it happens in (which is why Elon has said they plan on maximizing it by doing it at the start of a quarter, like Q1 2018), and the next one. So it’s likely to be six more months. Then the 3750 for 6 months, then 1875 for 6 months..

As I read this list, I didn’t see any news at all......;)

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

The more people who are happy to buy a Model S, the better.
    And awesome drone photography -- thanks!

• Like x 4
  13. 206er

206er Member

oh brother... seeing as we simply cannot afford an S and our only other options are basically a Honda Accord or Civic (wife will not look elsewhere in the market place), I can imagine us quite content with a Model 3.

• Like x 1
  14. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Interesting fact: The trams they use were also left over from the NUMMI factory, just repainted.

I had reserved my M3 on day#1 on the same account as my P85+. Sold the P85+ in March of this year, yet my account with just the M3 reservation still has the same preferential delivery dates.

Do you already own another Model S now? I thought you had to be a current owner in order to get a factory tour.

Right! And it's also 200k U.S. deliveries.

15. Sportstick

Sportstick Member

If the OP thinks bigger wheels are "cool", door handles are "yuck", and is concerned that much about how other people see him, possibly as "poor", we have dramatically different perspectives. Let's see how he feels once he's out of his teens.

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  16. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

I want the few precious minutes I wasted on this thread back.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  17. azred

azred Member

I got the same impression about his/her age. For any of you fathers and mothers, that post might be another reminder that kids should earn that set of fancy wheels.:D

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  18. DrivingRockies

Why post in both forums?

19. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

The whole thing smells like FUD to me. Why else have the click bait title that is unrelated to the meat of the post, the lack of knowledge on how the tax credit works, the speculative items listed, the items listed just to sow panic and confusion, and others ...

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. DrivingRockies

Don't worry. It's in the S section as well.

• Funny x 2