Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I took my friend for a ride and his Neighbor asked "why on earth did he buy a Tesla"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a cold financial analysis there is no way I could justify buying a Tesla.

I was attracted to Tesla due to the following factors (in order of importance):
1. I have a tech background and I've been really intrigued with all the tech that Tesla brings.
2. Its combination of performance, handling and safety.
3. Its range for an EV is large enough and one that I'm comfortable with.

With all that said, it still had to make financial sense to me. I was in the market for a new car in the range of $60K-$90K. In that range, the other options I considered were a few of the popular ICE-based German brands. When I did the NPV analysis inspired by this blog, the S75D came out with the lowest NPV for both a 5 and 8 year period (the two likely scenarios for how long I'll keep the car). That sealed the deal for me.

Reactions: Eclectic
Funny, everytime I see somebody with a different new car I think "why didn't they buy a Tesla?"
This!
My colleague just bought an Audi S5 for about the price of my S75D (here in Australia, our prices are weird).
He took me for a drive and I had to struggle to praise the car.
I bit my tongue as I was about to say "this time accelerate as fast as you can" when I realized he had been.

All it takes is a ride and most people "get it".

My Step father is a lifelong trucker. He hated the idea of a electric car till I took him for a ride up the Mountain at a casual but occasional burst of speed. Now, he can't wait for the semi and hopefully can afford the pickup truck if it ever comes out. Our recent conversations involve him telling me what camping spots he's going to and asking if I have the adaptors to charge there so he'll know in the future what to buy for his truck and camper.

I can repeat this story in other variations except for 1 person. I'd qualify him as a troll, since he hates EVERYTHING. But I gave him a quick ride in my MS75D and even he couldn't stop a slip of "wow!" under his breath. He still hated the car and found several things wrong. So basically, i'm thinking most people have to go out of their way to hate the Tesla or don't understand why you would ever want one.

My main thing I wanted in a new car was Advanced Driving Assist Features and I felt Tesla was the best available (for sell in Sept. 2017) and with OTA Updates and their focus I went with them. The other cars I was considering was Mercedes E/S and the Cadillac with Super Cruise and AUDI. The price range of these cars with the options that included their limited best Driving Assist Features were not that much different then my MS75D.

After getting the car with the performance which mainly comes from all electric and the high tech console / IC I am extremely happy with my decision. And even though I am not a Global Warming alarmist I do like the idea of going green and depending less and less on fossil fuels. And nice to move to much cleaner air in the cities. And my kids (who are more left leaning) are strong behind me :).

Regarding Coal plants making the electricity. I like the idea that they can be further away from where the congestion is but mainly you have the option of adding solar and wind to offset the coal and also have the option to build all new houses (or upgrading) with solar roofs but you only have 1 option to reduce the ICE Cars need for Gas and that would be to convert it to electric after it is built which is not likely. I have no doubt that once people start to embrace electric cars the S Curve will spike. There is just so many reasons to go electric. Now just wish we had more cost affective options like SUV's and Vans and Trucks. I am 68 and will never buy another non-electric car again (even for my wife who currently has a 2016 Mercedes GLC and sees the advantages of my new MS) but I have family members that would like an SUV or Truck and would like to go electric but have very limited choices. Example: My son has a Toyota Mini Van (paid about 30k) and the only choice is a Tesla MX today which is too expensive. But over the next couple years we should have more options even from other MFG's.

‘Nuf said...
Age has nothing to do with it you young dolts. I am 83, have always been a "car guy", have owned Porsche, Aston Martin, Austin Healey, have had a Model S for 4 years (best car I have ever had), and just got my notice yesterday that I can order a Model 3. I can hardly wait to get it; it's like xmas and I am eight again. Dump your ageist attitude!

I found over the years of owing Teslas that the best answer to the question is "for the performance". I've tried the green angle, the financial angle, maintenance angle, and it goes in one ear and out the other. When I say "performance" it intrigues people and keeps the discussion from escalating to environmental issues, etc.

Of course there are other ways to be "green" but this is one way I choose to do so.
I know that about half the electric energy in Illinois is supplied by coal so an electric car is not as clean as it could be however the grid will continue to receive more and more of its supply from renewable sources and a normal car will never get cleaner....the Tesla will.

Do you want to go GREEN right now - you may be able to sign up with arcadiapower.com where they have different programs to purchase renewable power. In Raleigh NC they will give me half wind power for no charge or I can get full wind power for $0.015 per kWh. They also have a plan where you can lease solar panels for 10 years.

My daughter was hassling me about the production of electricity for our car. My calculations of paying for some wind, and getting the income from the leased panels going all renewable for 10 years will cost me about $12 per year.

Reactions: Rotarypower
We bought our S90D in ’15 because it was an electric car we could take on road trips. It cost more than twice what we had ever paid for a car before, but we justified it as an investment in the future — encouraging a company making positive changes to how our world works. And it was a way to divest from the fossil fuel industry. It was only after we had it that we realized what an amazing car it is.

Our first road trip was over 8,000 miles. Total fuel cost: $0. And we didn’t stop for an oil change. Other than wear and tear, our only transportation costs were toll roads on the East Coast and a carwash.

Last November we traded in the S90D for an S100D to get the autonomous-driving capability and keep our free use of superchargers. The extra range didn’t hurt.

If we were looking at it all from only a cost basis, we’d be driving a Kia Rio.

(And BTW: It won’t be too many more years before I, too, am an 80 year-old lady.)

Top 10 for me:
1. More room - had a 2 cuft. trunk
2. Range - plenty for now
3. Super charger network
4. Cool factor
5. All electric - didn't even fully comprehend this until first passenger asked
At ordering and test drive
6. Affordable - it's my money, etc.
7. TACC, AS and future FSD
8. FAST, FAST, FAST!!!
9. It really looks good!!
10. see #4 - retractable door handles, frunk, glass roof, OTA software/firmware updates, safety, low maint. and much more