Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I traded in my Model S for a Prius Prime

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a 2020 Prius Prime and feel the same way. I love it in EV mode but not Hybrid mode so much. I was going to sell it but I like having a "cheap" car I can park in the city, leave at the airport, lend to family members, run errands and not worry about it. No range anxiety or expensive upkeep. I think I may keep it and give it to a family member later. The Toyota Prius and Primes are so economical and reliable. I will exchange my expensive cars for Tesla's but am waiting for a few features to be ironed out before jumping in. The future is EV's regardless of brand.

I currently have a 2020 Prius Prime and feel the same way. I love it in EV mode but not Hybrid mode so much. I was going to sell it but I like having a "cheap" car I can park in the city, leave at the airport, lend to family members, run errands and not worry about it. No range anxiety or expensive upkeep. I think I may keep it and give it to a family member later. The Toyota Prius and Primes are so economical and reliable. I will exchange my expensive cars for Tesla's but am waiting for a few features to be ironed out before jumping in. The future is EV's regardless of brand.
Be careful parking in the city. Lost my 🐈
converter that way.

There is a lot to be said in favor of Toyota PHEVs ... and some important negatives that have been mentioned in this thread.

I was mostly very happy with my Prime during the year I owned it while waiting for our Tesla but I'll admit to one, shallow aspect that gnawed at me: I *really* did not like how the car looked from the rear. The experience taught me to avoid any further episodes of buying a car sight unseen. It was too late for the Tesla but I lucked out there.

I am not advocating Prius Prime over any Tesla just that for some people it is a great choice. It was an impulse buy when I bought one for my son. I have three new cars so I have time. I am just not sure what EV to buy. I need one car that can go to ski areas in winter where charging is not an option. The Prime will do this where a Tesla can not. With Tesla I like the 3 the most even though the Y makes more sense and the Tesla S has the ride quality I like in a luxury car. I have been spoiled by air suspensions in my last few cars. I need to do a test drive of the three back to back. I test drove all three Tesla's at different times and the Tesla S was a 2017.

Your whole post is an admirable attempt at green-cred confirmation bias, but if that Prius’s battery can cover 80% of the driving most people do with 10% of the battery, that’s a more environmentally friendly proposition in the majority of situations. Your Tesla is not pollution-free, by a long shot - you just did all your (quite significant) polluting up front.
Reality check - it can’t. Good luck with a low range EV ~90 miles let alone this. Might as well not pretend and just get a full on gas car to cut the complexity and unreliability in half.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
Any more affordable used gen 1 EV could fit the bill for your ‘low end runaround car’ much better, inherently more reliable without oil changes and orders of magnitude less moving parts, also with cheaper running costs. Also, supporting a company like toy which has singlehandedly attempted to delay the global transition to EVs Would be a sticking point for me. Also, this is subjective but my god primes are fugly.

Reality check - it can’t. Good luck with a low range EV ~90 miles let alone this. Might as well not pretend and just get a full on gas car to cut the complexity and unreliability in half.
The ratio of electric to gas miles on my PHEV is 9:1 over the last 10,000 miles. What is this reality check you speak of, and whose reality are we in? Most people in the US drive less than 30 miles most days.

Good luck with a low range EV ~90 miles let alone this. Might as well not pretend and just get a full on gas car to cut the complexity and unreliability in half.
What exactly are we "pretending"? Here is another source to show that the Prius Prime can in fact be cleaner than the MS. Carboncounter.com | Cars evaluated against climate targets

I've attached a screenshot. The green square is the Prius Prime. The purple square is the 2021 MS LR+. Prius Prime will get you a lot further than your Tesla will. 640 mile range, according to Google. And in many cases it will be responsible for a similar amount of greenhouse gas emissions, and sometimes lower.

Reliability? Consumer Reports rates Prius Prime reliability at 5/5. They rate Model S reliability 2/5.

Do not pretend that any EV is superior to any hybrid (or PHEV) in terms of emissions or reliability.

1622674141040.png

And most hybrids have never been plugged in.
Wait, you mean if something isn't used as designed it doesn't work as intended? Next you're going to be telling me that EVs charged from diesel generators actually cause pollution!

Dang, dogg. You really got me there. I'm so glad you're here to set us all straight.

South Park had it right all along - the biggest emissions in this space are caused by toxic smug spewed from fundamentalist EV prophets.

• Disagree
Reactions: AMPd and tkizzy
Wait, you mean if something isn't used as designed it doesn't work as intended? Next you're going to be telling me that EVs charged from diesel generators actually cause pollution!

Dang, dogg. You really got me there. I'm so glad you're here to set us all straight.

South Park had it right all along - the biggest emissions in this space are caused by toxic smug spewed from fundamentalist EV prophets.
Your snark begets snark, and nobody is impressed.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
What exactly are we "pretending"? Here is another source to show that the Prius Prime can in fact be cleaner than the MS. Carboncounter.com | Cars evaluated against climate targets

I've attached a screenshot. The green square is the Prius Prime. The purple square is the 2021 MS LR+. Prius Prime will get you a lot further than your Tesla will. 640 mile range, according to Google. And in many cases it will be responsible for a similar amount of greenhouse gas emissions, and sometimes lower.

Reliability? Consumer Reports rates Prius Prime reliability at 5/5. They rate Model S reliability 2/5.

Do not pretend that any EV is superior to any hybrid (or PHEV) in terms of emissions or reliability.

View attachment 668869
No more akio toyoda BS - fire that clown!

I think the PHEV plug in hybrids are kind of a gateway drug to full EV ownership which will be the future. They serve a purpose and I do not understand the hate. While Toyota has done some poor recent things they did pioneer work with the Prius when there wasn't many choices out there. Remember VW was on the diesel wagon and US companies had little to show but big SUV's and trucks. Most households could use half as much gas with one PHEV in the household for local trips. The goal is to overall minimize gas use and reduce global warming.

Esp
I think the PHEV plug in hybrids are kind of a gateway drug to full EV ownership which will be the future. They serve a purpose and I do not understand the hate. While Toyota has done some poor recent things they did pioneer work with the Prius when there wasn't many choices out there. Remember VW was on the diesel wagon and US companies had little to show but big SUV's and trucks. Most households could use half as much gas with one PHEV in the household for local trips. The goal is to overall minimize gas use and reduce global warming.
Especially for those that aren’t ready to make the leap to full EV for whatever reason. Plus, in some cases, no home charging may be an issue and PHEVs can be cheaper than full EVs, so they may just fit someone’s budget a little better.

Reactions: skiwhmts
Markets decide winners, not hostile arguments on forums. Toyota far and away leader in hybrids… Tesla far and away leader in EVs. Both promote reduction in dependence on fossil fuels. Ergo both good. Each will attract people who prefer the specific benefits of that technology. Both have lightning rod CEOs. You guys wanna argue, go ahead. I think it is a stupid waste of time. You are not going to change each other’s preferences.

what I do not understand is that people got to come on and argue about hybrids on a Tesla forum. Tesla has never made one and never will. Add irrelevant argument to stupid argument.