Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I traded my Tesla for a Lexus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Standard Model S definitely lacks the excitement of a Performance Model S... Especially with Ludicrous.

My neighbors 2017 MS 75D is a great car... but definitely not exhilarating like my Ludicrous 2015 MS P85D by a long shot. IMHO "non-performance" MS is still more sportier than a Lexus sedan but the Performance MS stomps Lexus "performance" sedans... and the car magazines agree.

The 2016 and up 75D will still stomp on all Lexus cars including the F versions (not just the cosmetic F sport models).

I used to think this too but after driving an S for only a few months I came to realize that acceleration and power are not everything and don't really make up for all the other areas where Tesla is lacking.

To be honest, I'd now much prefer to have something I use all the time, on every drive: being pampered by a luxurious interior and a quiet ride, as opposed to being able to accelerate really fast (which I still do sometimes to amuse myself, but more and more rarely).

Still, I don't regret getting a Tesla. I wouldn't have been able to come to this conclusion without driving one for a while and would've kept dreaming of getting one.

I used to think this too but after driving an S for only a few months I came to realize that acceleration and power are not everything and don't really make up for all the other areas where Tesla is lacking.

To be honest, I'd now much prefer to have something I use all the time, on every drive: being pampered by a luxurious interior and a quiet ride, as opposed to being able to accelerate really fast (which I still do sometimes to amuse myself, but more and more rarely).

Still, I don't regret getting a Tesla. I wouldn't have been able to come to this conclusion without driving one for a while and would've kept dreaming of getting one.
Let's agree to disagree. I use my car all the time on every single drive and I feel very pampered with the luxury (I couldn't care less about massaging/100 way adjustable/quilted blah blah seats). I also very rarely drive it in an aggressive manner. Its very quiet and I love it!

Each to his own.

Let's agree to disagree. I use my car all the time on every single drive and I feel very pampered with the luxury (I couldn't care less about massaging/100 way adjustable/quilted blah blah seats). I also very rarely drive it in an aggressive manner. Its very quiet and I love it!

Each to his own.

I absolutely agree. My wife prefers to drive her Prius... which I loathe to drive.

Each to his own.

Luxury? Spartan is no one's definition of "luxury".

Luxury? Spartan is no one's definition of "luxury".
That's your definition, not mine.

Tesla's mission has always been the same ever since they first started making cars - to make the best EV, period. They readily admit to not competing with ICE manufacturers on what you perceive as "luxury". Like I said before, I couldn't care less. It may be spartan for you, it's luxury for me, it's that simple. My definition of luxury is to be able to drive the best EV there is. Its that simple.

I'm not going to debate this anymore. :)

Tesla's mission has always been the same ever since they first started making cars - to make the best EV, period. They readily admit to not competing with ICE manufacturers on what you perceive as "luxury". Like I said before, I couldn't care less. It may be spartan for you, it's luxury for me, it's that simple. My definition of luxury is to be able to drive the best EV there is. Its that simple.

You're right, it all comes down to what each of us expects from a car. I see in your signature that yours is a 2016 75D. Mine is the same but in all honesty I miss the interior and comfort of my 2016 Mazda 6 which I was driving before the Tesla...

That's fine. We all have our expectations of "luxury", as it depends on what your basis is. I met a worker on a cruise, he was from the Fillipines. You know how he defined luxury? With tears in his eyes, he explained that works for 9 months on a ship, away from his kids. His hope, his dream, was one day to......buy a car.

That's fine. We all have our expectations of "luxury", as it depends on what your basis is. I met a worker on a cruise, he was from the Fillipines. You know how he defined luxury? With tears in his eyes, he explained that works for 9 months on a ship, away from his kids. His hope, his dream, was one day to......buy a car.
I'm not poor, but my definition of luxury is "an indulgence in something that provides pleasure, satisfaction, or ease". My S provides that in abundance.

Reactions: Alset4S
Model S is not a luxury car, it's more of a premium high tech performance sedan. Luxury cars traditionally put emphasis on NVH and comfort over tech. Analog clocks, ICE's, massaging seats, etc... The simplistic oppulance of something like a Lexus or Rolls is highly desirable IMHO. I grow tired of my complicated car/life sometimes and prefer to shut out the nasties of the world.

Reactions: cucubits
Can someone explain to me the rational of having such incredible master piece instead of a real bumper?

LexusFrontEnd .jpg

Honestly, can you really park your car in the street and not worry about your car been damaged?

I would prefer getting a traditional front and rear bumpers, such as this older Volvo:

volvo_102.ashx

I noticed that in New York, and in particular Manhattan, most of the cars get additional heavy duty bumpers protections:

125870918.png

I found the following bumper for Lexus, but it seems to be too low to offer any real protection

41tXm64B50L._AC_.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: GeoX750
Analog clocks, ICE's, massaging seats, etc... The simplistic oppulance of something like a Lexus or Rolls is highly desirable IMHO. I grow tired of my complicated car/life sometimes and prefer to shut out the nasties of the world.
This is all old world luxury and it's not simplistic at all. I have zero interest in or desire for it. Keep it simple is my motto.

ICE cars have to excel in old world luxury as the ICE platform is a dying breed and needs to keep traditional car buyer's interested. I'm not saying Tesla is perfect but any stretch of the imagination - I'll I'm saying is I'll take a Tesla over any ICE car any day until a legacy car manufacturer makes a better EV (with an equivalent charging infrastructure and range), then I'll switch to that brand if Tesla hasn't improved on their quality control and customer service.

Reactions: AustinP and Alset4S
The "traditional car buyer" will still be families in their 30's and 40's who will need a reliable car and will not wait 2 weeks to fix a screen so they can turn on the AC. I think the single point of control (the screen) will be a distant fad meant to reel in the iphone users who are absolutely dependent on their screen. Yes, the other manufacturers will catch up, buttons intact, and I do think Tesla will suffer. By that time, Musk will sell and take his billions elsewhere, and you'll deal with a traditional automaker going forward.

Can someone explain to me the rational of having such incredible master piece instead of a real bumper?

View attachment 523165

Honestly, can you really park your car in the street and not worry about your car been damaged?

I would prefer getting a traditional front and rear bumpers, such as this older Volvo:

volvo_102.ashx

I noticed that in New York, and in particular Manhattan, most of the cars get additional heavy duty bumpers protections:

125870918.png

I found the following bumper for Lexus, but it seems to be too low to offer any real protection

41tXm64B50L._AC_.jpg
Cost to manufacture?