Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I traded my Tesla for a Lexus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LMAO....
Oh really, you have that much faith in Tesla Warrenty...

*Sigh*
Please Help! Drive unit seal not covered under warranty as part of drive unit??

And here is another one
Frame Failure called "Normal Wear and Tear" by Tesla Service

^this guy im sure was under drive train... what exactly is tesla's definition of drive train....

Read those threads, there are a few members under that who got straight up denied.... they call it WEAR and TEAR...

Even the battery, until your car is really dead, they will say your battery needs recalibration... really... recalibration on a Lithium ion battery which has a BMS.... :confused:

For the longest time they were calling our yellow MCU Cosmetic on top until they realized A LOT of owners started to take them to Arbitration, in which they lost every case.

This is why i got the ESA, and made sure it was though TESLA and not 3rd party.
Even then im waiting to see if they will troll me with wear and tear and make me regret getting that expensive ESA.

Yeah as funny as this sounds I’m coming from few BMWs so I’ll be straight.

head unit isn’t drivetrain. And a 2013 Tesla is what? The first model released? I wouldn’t sweat it. Everyone I know that owns a Tesla is fine, can’t say the same about every other car brand

Everyone I know that owns a Tesla is fine

3 people i know with MX wish they never got the car as it has so many issues, especially with the doors, which is why i got a MS instead and also i don't like SUV's. :D

I do know tho, i have 3 friends with the Model 3, and they absolutely love that car.
Which makes me think more that my next tesla will probably be a M3P or a MYP.

I think anecdotal evidence is about as useful as hemmehroids about problems and reliability. You can read my prior post in this thread, which is why I don’t read many of those “look what happened to me” threads. It’s not that I don’t believe them, it’s that I don’t find them useful to me.

As I wrote before....my first Lexus was a beautiful 2007 IS350 in silver. After about six months of ownership I returned it as a Lemon, pursuant to NJ’s Lemon Law. Lexus tried every dirty trick in the book to stop the return, including telling me I was not shifting the car from reverse to drive properly, which was causing my car to stall out. Lmao

The replacement IS350 was unreal. Other than brakes, tires and oil changes, no issues in 200k miles of ownership. My wife is on her 2nd RX right now and loves it. I think it is an AMAZING SUV but when I drive it, I feel like Fred Flintstone compared to my model S.

Do I think Tesla could learn from Toyota/Lexus for quality and reliability? 100% yes. But could Lexus/Toyota learn a lot from Tesla? 100% yes as well.

What I always dislikd about all of our Lexus cars (we’ve owned 7) is the herky-jerky transmissions. My smoothly accelerating electric drive still puts a smile on my face every time I get in the car. Sorry Barney, Fred is not going back to the stone ages. Yabba dabba do!

I recently switched from a 2010 Lexus LS600hL (big V8 with hybrid motors also) to a 2020 Tesla Model S. The jury is still out on whether the advanced tech of the Tesla will make me happier than the quality and reliability of my Lexus. I still have a mint-condition 2006 Lexus SC430 (retractable hardtop convertible with V8) that I intend to keep pretty much forever (date night car)... So I guess I have the best of both worlds!

If you actually gave a crap about climate change you wouldn't attempt to shame people for buying non-EVs, you'd go to parenting forums and shame people for having kids -- Want to fight climate change? Have fewer children and https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/emissions-reduction-choices-1.4204206-- a much better use of your energy I'd say.

Or maybe we should be encouraging serial killers? Or promoting suicides? Ridiculous. Less emissions per person is the goal. Don’t ask someone else to not have kids so that others can keep on driving and polluting.

I recently switched from a 2010 Lexus LS600hL (big V8 with hybrid motors also) to a 2020 Tesla Model S. The jury is still out on whether the advanced tech of the Tesla will make me happier than the quality and reliability of my Lexus. I still have a mint-condition 2006 Lexus SC430 (retractable hardtop convertible with V8) that I intend to keep pretty much forever (date night car)... So I guess I have the best of both worlds!

Same here.

The slightly sad thing is that my 2007 SC430 is about 5 db quieter at 75 mph inside than my P85DL. Even more amazing is how quiet it is with the top down at freeway speed. No other convertible I've driven comes anywhere near the low noise level.

20150201_163404_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Toyota got their reliability reputation by intentionally derating their vehicles. They tuned the engines for low RPM running, did not get much horsepower out of them and the milquetoast handling encouraged drivers to not load up the suspensions.

Their soft suspensions soaked up road vibrations, so few rattled. The transmissions also shifted smoothly and at low rpm's.

They were not enthusiasts cars, but for slow and easy going.

Currently they are hopping up some of their smaller cars, and as would be expected, they do not give any better reliability than the others they compete with.

Lots of people like the luxury barge approach to quiet cruising. They gild the heck out of their interiors and have lots of chrome and bling front grills. This appeals to many, and they sell relatively well to those buyers, but they are no longer the bargain they used to be and have similar reliability to other Japanese brands.

The most successful Lexus currently is the elegant RX SUV. Mostly coveted by middle aged ladies that want something impressive to take their friends out to lunch and dinners. Reasonably priced for a higher end offering, it looks great, rides smooth, gets reasonable fuel economy and holds 4 comfortably. Gives the desired high seating position and great all around visibility. Electronics are not great, but optionally offers the comforting birds eye display view. Does not have the German Stigma, and is totally accepted among the ladies that lunch group.

Compairing Lexus to Tesla is apples to oranges. One is an EV and the other a gasser.

Same here.

The slightly sad thing is that my 2007 SC430 is about 5 db quieter at 75 mph inside than my P85DL. Even more amazing is how quiet it is with the top down at freeway speed. No other convertible I've driven comes anywhere near the low noise level.

View attachment 524357

Nice looking 2007! Yeah, the SC430s are pretty special, in my mind, and while a totally different "vibe" from my 2020 S LR, a very nice ride on a warm summer evening!

2006_lexus_on_delivery_day_0b8937f937ec2d78e1f4348284592b4552683729.jpg

This lockdown sure doesn't help but I have high hopes that real competitors will start showing up soon (1-2 years).

If Audi and BMW start pushing out smaller and more accessible sedans (not everyone needs large SUVs like the e-tron), things will start moving much quicker. People (well, those outside of the Cult of Elon) will realize that range and acceleration don't mean everything and even if on paper Tesla wins those, there are other things to consider too.

As I kept saying, having driven a Model S for a few months, I miss the real smooth ride of a high quality car and a nice well built interior. Yes, it's quick, yes, it accelerates instantly... two "features" I use more and more rarely.

This lockdown sure doesn't help but I have high hopes that real competitors will start showing up soon (1-2 years).

If Audi and BMW start pushing out smaller and more accessible sedans (not everyone needs large SUVs like the e-tron), things will start moving much quicker. People (well, those outside of the Cult of Elon) will realize that range and acceleration don't mean everything and even if on paper Tesla wins those, there are other things to consider too.

As I kept saying, having driven a Model S for a few months, I miss the real smooth ride of a high quality car and a nice well built interior. Yes, it's quick, yes, it accelerates instantly... two "features" I use more and more rarely.

My MS rides smoother than my wife's MB. The things that will drive customers away will be the interior appointments and the customer service that may or may not be there when you need them the most. Heck, there are already a sizable number of members here that will make the jump.

Reactions: SilverGS
IMO most of the big automakers are still trying to protect their ICE cars by putting out luke-warm attempts at EV's. Bolt is a good EV but too dorky to appeal to the masses. Kia/Hyundai EV's are too high priced compared to their ICE counterparts and only sold in compliance states. The e-Tron should blow away the SQ5 but appears to be dialed back to preserve that cash cow. And then there are a bunch of plug-in's coming out, as they straddle the two worlds.

Taycan might actually be the exception - so far it seems to out-perform the equivalent Panamera in everything but range, for not much premium in price. Their $90K base model might give the MS a run once they offer it.

I'll agree on acceleration. I have a relatively slow Tesla. 0-60 4.2 secs. Way faster and quicker than I have any need for.
I'll disagree on range. At least for those who road trip or travel frequently. My 75D when new was rated at 259 miles of range. That equates to about 175-200 miles of actual range depending on variables. Related to range of course is charging. Charging at home using even a 30 amp continuous circuit easily recharges overnight. While road tripping I've never had an issue of not having a supercharger within range on my route, though it has been close a few times. Charging time could be better.
Tesla had addressed range and charging time in newer vehicles and the all ready good charging network has continued to expand. My point being anything less is going to be a hard sell.

I'll agree on acceleration. I have a relatively slow Tesla. 0-60 4.2 secs. Way faster and quicker than I have any need for.
I'll disagree on range. At least for those who road trip or travel frequently. My 75D when new was rated at 259 miles of range. That equates to about 175-200 miles of actual range depending on variables. Related to range of course is charging. Charging at home using even a 30 amp continuous circuit easily recharges overnight. While road tripping I've never had an issue of not having a supercharger within range on my route, though it has been close a few times. Charging time could be better.
Tesla had addressed range and charging time in newer vehicles and the all ready good charging network has continued to expand. My point being anything less is going to be a hard sell.
Agreed 100%. Some folks say that acceleration and range are not important - I think folks like that are in denial or only drive in city traffic. I'm sure the legacy manufacturers will come up with viable EV's but unless they have a good fast charging infrastructure as prevalent as Tesla's, it will be an uphill battle for them. Range has always been king and that will not change any time soon.

Reactions: Alset4S
Agreed 100%. Some folks say that acceleration and range are not important - I think folks like that are in denial or only drive in city traffic. I'm sure the legacy manufacturers will come up with viable EV's but unless they have a good fast charging infrastructure as prevalent as Tesla's, it will be an uphill battle for them. Range has always been king and that will not change any time soon.
The next car I buy will be an EV. Which one? Don't know. But I do know it will have to provide 275-300 miles of real miles and be recharged in 30 minutes or less using a pretty much a coast to coast network.

Reactions: SilverGS
The next car I buy will be an EV. Which one? Don't know. But I do know it will have to provide 275-300 miles of real miles and be recharged in 30 minutes or less using a pretty much a coast to coast network.
Same here - very likely a Performance Raven Model S as I can't see a competing EV from the legacy manufacturers in less than 4 years in terms of battery tech, range and supercharging network to match a Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits and SO16
Buying an EV was much like what my Dad said to me when I bought my first Lexus 14 years ago. He said something to this effect...

"Now, you're in trouble, because you'll get use to the luxury, the customer service, the reliablity, you'll never be able to go backwards and your future cars will keep getting more and more expensvie"

This is exactly how I felt when I test drove the Model S. I did it from a store in Yorkdale Mall and the Tesla employee had me go out on the 401 (our busiest highway in Toronto). The second I felt the smooth electric drive, with no changing of gears, I took a big GULP because I knew I was in trouble. Still, to this day, it is the one thing about an EV that is untouchable IMO. This is just a personal thing of course, but to me, it is everything.

I love the instant torque and acceleration. I love the tech. I love the lack of emissions. I love the quiet, but nothing comes close to the lack of a conventional transmission. That fact alone means I can NEVER see myself in a gasser again. My Model S is far from perfect and Tesla as a company is even further, but I have put 100k km on my car and I have NEVER owned anything that gives me this much pleasure.

I did it from a store in Yorkdale Mall and the Tesla employee had me go out on the 401 (our busiest highway in Toronto). The second I felt the smooth electric drive, with no changing of gears, I took a big GULP because I knew I was in trouble. Still, to this day, it is the one thing about an EV that is untouchable IMO. This is just a personal thing of course, but to me, it is everything.

I love the instant torque and acceleration. I love the tech. I love the lack of emissions. I love the quiet, but nothing comes close to the lack of a conventional transmission. That fact alone means I can NEVER see myself in a gasser again. My Model S is far from perfect and Tesla as a company is even further, but I have put 100k km on my car and I have NEVER owned anything that gives me this much pleasure.
That's the exact same feeling I had when I drove my first Model S in 2016. I make excuses to take the car out for a drive just to feel that smooth electric drive and put a smile on my face. It doesn't matter how I'm feeling, as soon as I drive the car, all my stress and other daily life issues, just melt away to a big grin.