Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I traded my Tesla for a Lexus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't watch the video, but the LS is a really nice car. There's no doubt that the general luxury, quietness, and build quality is way above what Tesla delivers - especially compared to your early Model S.

I'm not a huge fan of where Lexus has gone with styling lately, but I've always thought they lead the pack in luxury and quality. Tesla really doesn't deliver much luxury for the price.

Does the LS have semi-autonomous driving?

Enjoy the noise, exhaust fumes, gas stations, high center of gravity, and lack of acceleration

I would argue that the cabin of the LS500 is actually quieter than the Model S....especially early ones. The motor of the S may be quieter than the V8 in the LS, but road and wind noise are much higher in the S.

And realistically, we should be able to admit that EVs aren't the end-all best decision for every lifestyle. Frankly, if you drive a lot - especially farther than your home charging can get you round-trip - the Supercharging network can be a huge pain (unpredictable charging, lines, etc).

I take my wife's car on longer trips, because it's just simply far more convenient to pull into any gas station, and be on my way for another 400 miles in about 4 minutes. I've been in far too many situations with my P90D where I'm rolling in "on fumes" because a supercharger was running slow and I hit unexpected traffic.

Also, I believe @InternetDude had a 2013 Model S 85....which did 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. The LS does it in 4.6 seconds......so, no real loss there.

Last edited:
Good for you. I'm drooling at that interior and build quality. I'm still early in the having fun with Tesla stage but I will follow a similar route in about a year or so.

Enjoy the Lexus, it really looks awesome inside and out!

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
So yeah I got rid of my Model S and traded it on a Lexus LS500.

Having owned a lot of cars, for a daily driver the EV wins:

Every morning it has a full tank. Zero refueling time. Elves sneak in your garage and fuel it while you sleep.
Instant pedal response. All speeds, all altitudes, all weather. Never a downshift, never out of the powerband, never needs to build boost.
You can preheat the interior in a closed garage without the paramedics.
You can brew your own fuel.
No smog control checks.
No maintenance.
Some regions have perks for EVs. My area allows an EV to cut 30 minutes off a 30 mile commute by HOV access, and toll roads are cheap or free in the EV. Toll roads here can cost you $200+ a month.

Motorsports are different topic, but Lexus LS's are commuter cars. They are nice, but eh... Too much hassle.

Lexus used to be the go to car for those that wanted a Mercedes road car, but were lured to the LS due to price and value.
They used to be smooth, quiet, good looking, nicely appointed and a tremendous value. It really dug into the sales volume of Mercedes S class.

But the latest models LS have themselves found their volume eaten by the upstart Tesla Model S.
The latest Lexus are outrageously ugly from the front due to China targeted Predator style outlandish grill.
They no longer ride smoothly, but have much firmer ride and still unremarkable handling. Their engines provide no thrill, and overall the cars are quite boring to drive. Their prices have gone way up and technology has not kept pace with the competition. Kind of a fancy Toyota, and no longer offering much over their German competitors.Electronics are slow and provide no joy.

Most of the Women Lexus buyers far prefer the feminine styling of the RX to the outlandish new LS.

Tesla Model S is outselling the new LS without the benefit of dealerships.

That LS desirability boat has sailed. Latest offerings by Hyundai are far better value, have better technology, stronger engines and better interiors than these outdated LS.