Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I tried "Launch Mode" for the first time today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had Tessie for 11 months. Never have I tried Launch Mode. I've done a lot of acceleration runs without it, but today was different. I printed out the instructions then drove to a lonely desert road. What follows is what I posted earlier on a local car enthusiast website:

Tesla's "Ludicrous Speed Mode" is crazy enough but Launch Mode is something else. First, make sure any loose items are secured; remove the phone from its holder and put it in your holster. Make sure the battery is warmed up. Tap "Ludicrous" acceleration mode, enable "Max Battery Power." Then set suspension to the lowest position. Look around for kids, pets, other cars and the police.

Depress the brake all the way with your left foot. Press the accelerator to the floor, then release it. "Launch Mode Enabled" appears on the instrument panel. You can feel the car tense up and the front end comes up a bit. Press the accelerator all the way down. Then release the brake.

Instantly, the blood in my head slammed into the rear of my skull and my head hit the headrest. For about 5 seconds I felt dizzy. That's about 1.1 G's initial acceleration. I backed off before I hit triple digits. I sure hope I didn't exceed the speed limit.
1f642.png

I gotta find someone to film this from the right seat.

I wish you didn't need to do the whole pedal dance when using Launch Mode. I wasn't able to use it at the drag strip because it takes too long to do. Look, you've already gone out of your way to enable it (it turns off when you turn off the car) so just let me mash the brake all the way, then the accelerator all the way, then release the brake to go. Done.

I've had Tessie for 11 months. Never have I tried Launch Mode. I've done a lot of acceleration runs without it, but today was different. I printed out the instructions then drove to a lonely desert road. What follows is what I posted earlier on a local car enthusiast website:

Tesla's "Ludicrous Speed Mode" is crazy enough but Launch Mode is something else. First, make sure any loose items are secured; remove the phone from its holder and put it in your holster. Make sure the battery is warmed up. Tap "Ludicrous" acceleration mode, enable "Max Battery Power." Then set suspension to the lowest position. Look around for kids, pets, other cars and the police.

Depress the brake all the way with your left foot. Press the accelerator to the floor, then release it. "Launch Mode Enabled" appears on the instrument panel. You can feel the car tense up and the front end comes up a bit. Press the accelerator all the way down. Then release the brake.

Instantly, the blood in my head slammed into the rear of my skull and my head hit the headrest. For about 5 seconds I felt dizzy. That's about 1.1 G's initial acceleration. I backed off before I hit triple digits. I sure hope I didn't exceed the speed limit.
1f642.png

I gotta find someone to film this from the right seat.
Living vicariously through your stories! :):)

Does launch mode really make that big of a difference between just being at a full stop and mashing the accelertor?

I don’t have ludi just insane + so maybe that’s why I didn’t notice much of a difference. I did manage to pull a 3.1 0-60 two days ago. I wonder if it would be better.
I've done a lot of mash-the-go-pedal acceleration runs. The difference is that the motors are torqued in anticipation and I assume the car is set for proper weight shifrt for racing. It saves a few hundredths of a second in a timed run. You will definitely notice the difference. Stomping the accelerator will feel considerably slower, because it is. Launch mode is sudden. I mean, really sudden. Instantaneous. Which is why I got dizzy in the original story. The G force just sent all the blood in my skull backwards.

Reactions: captjoemcd