Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I tried "Launch Mode" for the first time today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate to be a asshole but ur definitely a nerd right?? Tessie? Haven’t tried launch yet?? Cell phone in holster?? Drive out to desert. Lol

I've had Tessie for 11 months. Never have I tried Launch Mode. I've done a lot of acceleration runs without it, but today was different. I printed out the instructions then drove to a lonely desert road. What follows is what I posted earlier on a local car enthusiast website:

Tesla's "Ludicrous Speed Mode" is crazy enough but Launch Mode is something else. First, make sure any loose items are secured; remove the phone from its holder and put it in your holster. Make sure the battery is warmed up. Tap "Ludicrous" acceleration mode, enable "Max Battery Power." Then set suspension to the lowest position. Look around for kids, pets, other cars and the police.

Depress the brake all the way with your left foot. Press the accelerator to the floor, then release it. "Launch Mode Enabled" appears on the instrument panel. You can feel the car tense up and the front end comes up a bit. Press the accelerator all the way down. Then release the brake.

Instantly, the blood in my head slammed into the rear of my skull and my head hit the headrest. For about 5 seconds I felt dizzy. That's about 1.1 G's initial acceleration. I backed off before I hit triple digits. I sure hope I didn't exceed the speed limit.
1f642.png

I gotta find someone to film this from the right seat.

Does launch mode really make that big of a difference between just being at a full stop and mashing the accelertor?

I don’t have ludi just insane + so maybe that’s why I didn’t notice much of a difference. I did manage to pull a 3.1 0-60 two days ago. I wonder if it would be better.

No it really doesn’t make a difference. I have done over a 1k times 0-60mph runs and my best times came without launch mode. As long as it’s in max battery and ready it won’t make much of a difference. Sometimes getting proper traction is the biggest issue with or without launch mode if you’re at 95% SOC or higher. It may give a little more punch but debatable as my times do not show improvements with or without. If at a track you never want to use launch mode cause it can be too difficult to time with the light. I suggest not using launch mode only because I still believe Tesla keeps logs of it and will start to degrade the amount of kw it gets.
That might also be why I don’t see any differences from using it. But I am using a dragy and surprisingly they are more accurate than a vbox. No matter what, if you’re at max power and slam the pedal down you will almost get too 2g’s and above and consistently can hit 1.5g’s. Sounds crazy cause that’s really not supposed to be possible but I have had a several Tesla’s now, and a few would get close too 2g’s consistently. My P85D+ actually shows above 2g’s so the dragy May be accurate af in times but not with the acceleration in terms of g’s. I think I actually have a time where it showed it at 3g’s, physically not possible. I do notice launch mode on certain models like the P85D and P90DL can start to decelerate quicker probably due to the fact that it pushing the maximum amount of amps all at once.
83035EED-62D2-4E87-B68C-DB9DB167CE2D.png
8A5E87E5-7741-410F-9067-D221C432DE28.png

338D77DC-86A6-425C-BA63-B9088CA2683F.jpeg

0A21A6CB-3C85-4741-A6ED-931904696D9E.png
4C01E416-172F-4385-9A9C-B92B525BCF21.png
3EB6B530-0AB5-4D6D-9D01-A2CF147F50D4.png
F9C44D3D-50F1-4A51-9B7D-8649FE851EEE.png
83035EED-62D2-4E87-B68C-DB9DB167CE2D.png
8A5E87E5-7741-410F-9067-D221C432DE28.png
338D77DC-86A6-425C-BA63-B9088CA2683F.jpeg

3DCA6806-CA69-4555-89D1-37C33D1EA421.png

Last edited:
Meh.....I tried to get a friend to help me time the 0-60 with ludicrous+. In the app "Stats", there is a header where you are supposedly able to make an accurate 0-60 second measurement. The process (if you are not familiar with it) involves:

1. Un-mute the sound on iPhone
2. Tap on "Start"
3. Step on the accelerator when you are ready (timer starts after car starts moving and you hear "Started")
4. Tap on "Stop" after reaching the top speed

Good luck with getting someone in the passenger seat to accomplish this! My friend was game to try this three times. It's virtually impossible to look at the app on the phone while being slammed into the seat at over 1.1 G's of force and then trying to click on "Stop" after reaching the top speed. After having tried this three times, my friend declined to try the fourth complaining that he was severely dizzy and starting to get a headache. I ended up taking him home where he recuperated by lying down in his bed for quite a while. I initially thought he was making up a story because he needed to be somewhere else, but I talked to him afterwards and he was being truthful with me. Other people have also reported feeling dizzy and/or nauseous after having been subjected to several ludricrous+ launches as well. YQMMV

(Your Quarter Mileage May Vary)

Get a dragy... Even better download PowerTools and if you have 2 phones use PowerTools to measure the kw/hp and a draggy to record the times. I recommend downloading PowerTools as it is free and gives you accurate kw/hp results. It can time 0-60mph but not accurate. I’ve done 2.5 0-62mph in a V3 P90DL. No way it was accurate, fastest it ever did was 2.5 with -1.7 slope. Or 2.6 with a +2.4% slope. So it’s definitely possible for it to have done 2.5 0-60mph 1ft though. Big difference of about 2 tenths a second between 1ft rollout and without.

Also if using launch mode you must set the suspension in low for it to get the maximum amount of amps. So if it’s lowered too much or you are running spacers you will rub and run slower times.

Also what makes a big difference even more so than having light rims are the tires. If running the tires with the foam inserts even if you have extra light rims you would be better off with heavier wider (Rear mainly) rims without the foam inserts. Or ideally light, wide rear rims without the foam. The traction u get from wide rear rims will help when using max power/launch mode

Last edited:
Can you back this up? I'm curious why putting the suspension on low would change the current delivery.

Because if not or in high it damages the air suspension. It’s states it in your owners manual. It doesn’t say directly that it will effect the amount of amps but it does to keep owners from damaging it and needing to fix it under warranty. I took a picture of it just now but cannot upload it for some reason. Just click on your owners manual on your MCU go to acceleration types. Than scroll down to launch mode. Than it will also redirect you to air suspension from there where it says it causes damage. Nvm I got it to load
image.jpg

image.jpg

Especially in ours since you have + suspension

Right, so you're making that part up. Got it.

Nope just figured it out by actually testing it, which is the only way any owner has figured out anything that Tesla does since they never directly tell you. It’s just another way for them to limit the performance capabilities than later justify it by saying they said it should be set to low. I would think you would know how Tesla goes about handling these types of issues by now. They won’t admit to anything until it’s been proven by actual testing than gained enough attention to become newsworthy. Until than they will not say a word and believe they are entitled to do whatever it is to protect the components of the car such as the suspension, batteries, rear drive unit etc. Since it comes out of their pockets to fix under warranty.
Same way I have proven that ludicrous added to a P85D has no performance increases. From not only my own testing but others data as well. The only thing that is consistent between the two is that a P85DL is much slower 0-30mph than just a P85D.

Last edited:
Same way I have proven that ludicrous added to a P85D has no performance increases.

Right. Still, you have no proof that Tesla is limiting the power to the motors based on suspension height. It's just your theory, and your evidence is your subjective opinion. That's not proving anything. When you can point to actual code (like some people can) that supports your assertion, then that's proof. Otherwise, subjective, circumstantial evidence. Also, remember, that correlation is NOT causation. Remember that.

Nope just figured it out by actually testing it,

Right, and there are many more people that have measured a significant increase in performance. It's actually gets down to physics -- more energy (amps) to the motor, the more output it will produce. You both can't be right. I think you have another theory that P85DL has no performance increase, and have confirmation bias in selecting your data to prove it.

I've had Tessie for 11 months. Never have I tried Launch Mode. I've done a lot of acceleration runs without it, but today was different. I printed out the instructions then drove to a lonely desert road. What follows is what I posted earlier on a local car enthusiast website:

Tesla's "Ludicrous Speed Mode" is crazy enough but Launch Mode is something else. First, make sure any loose items are secured; remove the phone from its holder and put it in your holster. Make sure the battery is warmed up. Tap "Ludicrous" acceleration mode, enable "Max Battery Power." Then set suspension to the lowest position. Look around for kids, pets, other cars and the police.

Depress the brake all the way with your left foot. Press the accelerator to the floor, then release it. "Launch Mode Enabled" appears on the instrument panel. You can feel the car tense up and the front end comes up a bit. Press the accelerator all the way down. Then release the brake.

Instantly, the blood in my head slammed into the rear of my skull and my head hit the headrest. For about 5 seconds I felt dizzy. That's about 1.1 G's initial acceleration. I backed off before I hit triple digits. I sure hope I didn't exceed the speed limit.
1f642.png

I gotta find someone to film this from the right seat.

Three things...

1. Congrats!

2. What’s this local enthusiast site?

3. I live by Quartz Hill High and have Dragy, a GoPro, and a Raven Model S Performance. I’ll gladly take a video for you!

• Love
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Three things...

1. Congrats!

2. What’s this local enthusiast site?

3. I live by Quartz Hill High and have Dragy, a GoPro, and a Raven Model S Performance. I’ll gladly take a video for you!
Oooooh! I'm envious! Raven Model S Performance! I wanna get one of those, hopefully later this year. Wonderful!

The local enthusiast site is a car fan thing, not a Tesla-specific thing. A private Facebook group, name is: Antelope Valley Auto Enthusiasts. Apply to join. They put on some fun events. Let's meet up for a burger someplace. Maybe the Yard House at AV Mall? A Tesla Supercharger station is under construction a few hundred feet away.

Reactions: derichio02
Right. Still, you have no proof that Tesla is limiting the power to the motors based on suspension height. It's just your theory, and your evidence is your subjective opinion. That's not proving anything. When you can point to actual code (like some people can) that supports your assertion, then that's proof. Otherwise, subjective, circumstantial evidence. Also, remember, that correlation is NOT causation. Remember that.

Right, and there are many more people that have measured a significant increase in performance. It's actually gets down to physics -- more energy (amps) to the motor, the more output it will produce. You both can't be right. I think you have another theory that P85DL has no performance increase, and have confirmation bias in selecting your data to prove it.

I have factual times that show if you would like me to post them. Unless you don’t consider timed results facts. The ludicrous upgrade may have had some minor performance increases years ago to a P85DL but the data shows it no longer does. Which can easily be done thru an update by Tesla. If you want me to post the times I gladly will. It’s not difficult for Tesla to restrict the amount of amps based on the height chosen with the air suspension. You do know it’s possible for certain owners to lower their car by sending code to make the car think it is located somewhere else right? And based off that location they can have the car lowered just like using links or brackets cuz the car believes it is somewhere else.
Why don’t you tell me what ludicrous does to add performance to a P85D and I will post times that will show otherwise. It’s not a theory like saying it feels faster etc. It’s timed results from a dragy. Not just my times but several different times from different owners that will be posted. I actually thought it had some minor benefits but the times show otherwise. The sample size is only up to 1/8 mile but still is not an opinion, it’s based of legitimate timed data that should easily show it has significant performance increases just as you claim that it does, but the reality is that it doesn’t. Or is that not sufficient for you? And amps and or increase in kw/hp to the motor do not automatically translate to better times. You should know this since a V3 P90DL can have faster times than a P100DL which clearly produces more kw/hp than a P90DL. Just like a Dodge Charger can have more horsepower than some exotic cars but won’t be as fast either.
A theory is only a theory if you don’t do experiments and or compare data from both subjects to come to a conclusion whether it’s true or false. Just like it took several owners to figure out that Tesla had reduced performance due too x amount of launches. They didn’t use codes to prove it. Remember that.
The data to prove cannot be bias if you’re taking times from both groups and comparing them. You say there are significant measured increases yet you have done none yourself to backup your theory. You are simply going off what others are stating correct?
Well I’m going off both my times and others so it’s not like it just coming from others experiences and there definitely isn’t anything significant except that the P85DL is significantly slower 0-30mph. The problem is when I post them like I already have, the owners who have a P85DL get all upset and than I get put on probation just like I’m sure you will once I do cause you won’t want to believe Tesla took you for $5,000. But I believe other owners and potential owners should know the truth and see how Tesla misleads owners and those looking too buy.
I also seem to think you take what Tesla states as very accurate and truthful. Well is been proven over and over that they will not tell owners basically anything until they take the recourse of doing their own experiments to show what Tesla will usually admit after. For example Tesla has claimed a 2015-2016 P90D can get 270 miles of range (which they still do advertise and it’s only 253) and can do 0-60mph in 2.8 seconds, which now they claim 3 seconds. Or the P100DL was 2.5 sec 0-60mph, now they advertise 2.4 secs. (All these are based off the 1ft rollout rule of course). If I can gladly post pictures of their continuous inconsistencies, something that you should know they were sued for not once but twice in Norway, which one of the lawsuits was related too adding ludicrous, which did not increase performance as advertised and Tesla had to pay back the amount that it costed to add it to every owner.
Not even a 2016.5 P90D V3 is advertised as being capable of 2.8 sec 0-60mph anymore (which they are capable of achieving).
Also do you think it’s coincidence that I have the fastest P90DL and P85D/P85DL? Or that they both have an extended range of 6-7 miles than what they are claimed to get when new? These are all factual videos, pictures etc, of timed results from a dragy or on my MCU screen and dash showing that added range I got by using my own charging methods overtime. From my P90DL going from around 268 to 276 over the course of 5k miles.
You could easily do your own experiments since you have a Tesla instead of going off what could be considered bias theories based on your own accusations. Since you personally have no factual data, whereas I do from doing over 1k plus runs with several different Tesla’s I’ve owned. So I have no issues providing legitimate data not opinions based off others supposed measurements like you claim, mine is my own personal experiments as well as what others have documented on dragy’s timed results as well.
All I ask is that after I prove that my claims are true is that you don’t make excuses especially if you’re not willing to try these same experiments yourself. Since there will not be any bias involved on my end and for you to do the same if you want to try to dismiss my claims or make excuses. I’m here to give actual results so other members can see the truth that Tesla so often misleads owners and potential owners with their false claims of performance capabilities etc.
I’m also the first to share how much I love my Tesla as I have owned more than I can even remember sometimes but I don’t have a problem calling out issues from owning one as well, which is mainly how they go about hiding certain things without being upfront and honest until they get caught doing it.

6DE0BD89-1553-4FBF-B1FD-0C0EE2685822.png
5FAE3F15-BF3A-4D1F-8BF2-E9E7F4EAFA5B.png
56A634CD-F6E3-4983-962A-460017D4F85B.jpeg
1238D7DD-D4CF-4623-8629-AEB085CCF316.jpeg
D9CBE696-CBB9-45C6-ABF7-AD31E6F2EBAB.png
971E5854-CAA0-4CA5-9BBB-AFC9BFD2BCF3.jpeg
0B065E4A-56A3-4CFE-9990-B2778AE046E9.jpeg
5FD70762-EE6F-4F82-B48D-C39926030C24.png

7A9980DF-9719-4303-8AE3-B18B824A621B.jpeg

Attachments

• 6062DE2B-CB7F-4B35-BF4A-09F57B1E74B0.png
    6062DE2B-CB7F-4B35-BF4A-09F57B1E74B0.png
    389 KB · Views: 35
I just had some pointless fun. I picked up an app for my iPhone called Race Timer. They claim it's very accurate for 0-60 and quarter-mile times, and presented a video to prove it. OK so I installed, read the instructions, etc.

Car: 2015 Tesla Model S P90DL, named Tessie.

So today I made two speed runs in Tessie. Prep: Full charge, put suspension to low position, selected Ludicrous+ acceleration. Engaged Launch Mode. The timer begins with initial acceleration; no one-foot rollout as you see at drag strips.

First run: Zero to 60 in 1.4 seconds. Quarter mile in 9.7 seconds. Oh come on, seriously? The stats should be closer to 2.8 seconds and 11 seconds. I ought to tweet these numbers to Elon Musk. He'd choke then laugh.

Second run: Zero to 60 in 16.6 seconds. Quarter mile in 16.9 seconds. WTF? LOL That's slower than my long-ago '65 Chevelle with a 283 2-barrel V8 and a two-speed PowerGlide automatic.

To paraphrase Doc Brown: "It means this damn thing doesn't work!"

Looks like I'll have to cough up $150 for a Dragy.

doc-hat.jpg

• Love
Reactions: tyler2323
Has anyone tried 0-60mph in Launch Mode with the 19" Slipstreams vs the 21" Twin Turbines? I had heard from someone that the car is faster with the 19" wheels?

no its actually the other way around..

Its suposed to be faster on 21's and more efficient on the 19's.

Or at the least it could be a placebo effect for those of us on 21's who regret getting them on a pothole infested city.
(The one thing i would change next time i get a Tesla.... GET THE 19's unless i live in a city where the mayor has OCD and fixes the streets.)

Or at the least it could be a placebo effect for those of us on 21's who regret getting them on a pothole infested city.
(The one thing i would change next time i get a Tesla.... GET THE 19's unless i live in a city where the mayor has OCD and fixes the streets.)

All the research I've seen points to the fact that you get better deficiency plus better performance with 19" wheels.

But I agree with you, 19" wheels are the way to go if you live in a typical urban setting with badly maintained streets.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
All the research I've seen points to the fact that you get better deficiency plus better performance with 19" wheels.

But I agree with you, 19" wheels are the way to go if you live in a typical urban setting with badly maintained streets.

LOL "better deficiency" is a great oxymoron... and likely AutoCorrupt example. :D

I run 21" Arachnids on the great roads in Orange County, CA... but swap in 19" Cyclones on our road trips out of state because of potholes for the exact reasons you state.

LOL "better deficiency" is a great oxymoron... and likely AutoCorrupt example. :D

I run 21" Arachnids on the great roads in Orange County, CA... but swap in 19" Cyclones on our road trips out of state because of potholes for the exact reasons you state.

You will definitely run faster times with 21’s. Even more so if using Arachnids (lighter, Forged) over Turbines with a staggered set.
I honestly think the 19’s ride worse too. They almost make like a vibration noise. I only had them on a car I bought in Chicago and drove it back to Vegas. That was the longest trip ever BTW. The 19’s not only made a constant humming noise but they ride awful in my opinion. I thought it was the car cause the tires were basically new since he had other 20’s he purchased. Once I got back and put the 21’s on and it was so much better. That’s the only time I ever had 19’s on. To be honest the 21’s with Tesla’s recommended tires have more than enough sidewall to keep the ride smooth and from getting damaged even in Los Angeles. You just might want to put them at 50psi. If anything the tire will get a bubble before the rims gets damaged. The S is a heavy car obviously but I know plenty of people who run 255 30 21 fronts and 295 25 21 rears even though they don’t pass the load requirements with no issues.