Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I tried "Launch Mode" for the first time today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Zounds. “Does it really make a difference?” - definitely. The difference is even obvious in my plebeian P85D with lowly insane+ launch mode. Mashing the pedal down in insane makes you strain your neck to keep your head upright during the acceleration. But doing a launch shifts the skin on your face back. It’s much more violent.
2208DBEC-10DA-4A57-AD58-952E2F38BD5F.gif

Thanks for this. Does anybody know the 0 to 60 or 0 to 100 numbers for launch vs ludicrous? Since it requires so much work and time and isn't always at the ready these shouldn't be the advertised times. I had a MS P90DL for two years and never used it, now a MX P100DL+ for two years now and still have never used launch mode.

Does launch mode really make that big of a difference between just being at a full stop and mashing the accelertor?

I don’t have ludi just insane + so maybe that’s why I didn’t notice much of a difference. I did manage to pull a 3.1 0-60 two days ago. I wonder if it would be better.

Absolutely! I think the manual states that Insane+ & Launch Mode is roughly +30% more torque than just Insane mode. That's not even Ludicrous mode which was 60% IIRC.
I know in my P85D, even my wife (who is not into speed, launch, cars, etc) said it was a completely different experience than a normal accelerator stomp.

I’ve had my brand new Performance S for less than a year and I baby it. I have only tried Launch Mode in that car once because I hate to trash my expensive 21" tires and stress my driveline. I had my car back at Tesla for a totally unrelated cosmetic issue for about 3 weeks when it had less than a couple hundred miles on it. While at Tesla they neglected to put the car in service mode. When I got my car back I looked at the power consumption graph and saw that they did about a half dozen launches. Joyrides in a customers Performance car is not right.

• Helpful
Reactions: kimvellore
Instantly, the blood in my head slammed into the rear of my skull and my head hit the headrest. For about 5 seconds I felt dizzy. That's about 1.1 G's initial acceleration. I backed off before I hit triple digits. I sure hope I didn't exceed the speed limit.
1f642.png

I gotta find someone to film this from the right seat.

Meh.....I tried to get a friend to help me time the 0-60 with ludicrous+. In the app "Stats", there is a header where you are supposedly able to make an accurate 0-60 second measurement. The process (if you are not familiar with it) involves:

1. Un-mute the sound on iPhone
2. Tap on "Start"
3. Step on the accelerator when you are ready (timer starts after car starts moving and you hear "Started")
4. Tap on "Stop" after reaching the top speed

Good luck with getting someone in the passenger seat to accomplish this! My friend was game to try this three times. It's virtually impossible to look at the app on the phone while being slammed into the seat at over 1.1 G's of force and then trying to click on "Stop" after reaching the top speed. After having tried this three times, my friend declined to try the fourth complaining that he was severely dizzy and starting to get a headache. I ended up taking him home where he recuperated by lying down in his bed for quite a while. I initially thought he was making up a story because he needed to be somewhere else, but I talked to him afterwards and he was being truthful with me. Other people have also reported feeling dizzy and/or nauseous after having been subjected to several ludricrous+ launches as well. YQMMV

(Your Quarter Mileage May Vary)

Depress the brake all the way with your left foot. Press the accelerator to the floor, then release it. "Launch Mode Enabled" appears on the instrument panel. You can feel the car tense up and the front end comes up a bit. Press the accelerator all the way down. Then release the brake.

Instantly, the blood in my head slammed into the rear of my skull and my

Michael, great story. I think I have tried this in our MXP90DL a few years ago. For as much as that cost I thought I would be doing it all the time... grin.

I think however I remember doing it a bit differently than you posted. I think I remember doing exactly each step like you say. What I think I remember that's different is when I held the break pedal down then pressed accelerator pedal and released and the car got all torqued up, I was able to take both feet off the pedals. The brake hold kept MX from moving forward so I only needed to slam the go pedal down and watch everything in my car slide off and scatter all over the floors. And yes, love the Tesla Head Rush. I can only do a few of those before having to give up for awhile. So try and see if you can do that again and take you foot off the brake. I think you will get faster launch speeds by not having your foot on the brake by mico seconds... after all it only costs tires, Right?

Gary

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I've had Tessie for 11 months. Never have I tried Launch Mode. I've done a lot of acceleration runs without it, but today was different. I printed out the instructions then drove to a lonely desert road. What follows is what I posted earlier on a local car enthusiast website:

Tesla's "Ludicrous Speed Mode" is crazy enough but Launch Mode is something else. First, make sure any loose items are secured; remove the phone from its holder and put it in your holster. Make sure the battery is warmed up. Tap "Ludicrous" acceleration mode, enable "Max Battery Power." Then set suspension to the lowest position. Look around for kids, pets, other cars and the police.

Depress the brake all the way with your left foot. Press the accelerator to the floor, then release it. "Launch Mode Enabled" appears on the instrument panel. You can feel the car tense up and the front end comes up a bit. Press the accelerator all the way down. Then release the brake.

Instantly, the blood in my head slammed into the rear of my skull and my head hit the headrest. For about 5 seconds I felt dizzy. That's about 1.1 G's initial acceleration. I backed off before I hit triple digits. I sure hope I didn't exceed the speed limit.
1f642.png

I have a 2015 S85D, which is the fastest car I’ve ever driven. Your Launch mode sounds exhilarating! I recently bought a Dragy, but still need to find a good spot to test. Enjoy.

I've had Tessie for 11 months. Never have I tried Launch Mode. I've done a lot of acceleration runs without it, but today was different. I printed out the instructions then drove to a lonely desert road. What follows is what I posted earlier on a local car enthusiast website:

Tesla's "Ludicrous Speed Mode" is crazy enough but Launch Mode is something else. First, make sure any loose items are secured; remove the phone from its holder and put it in your holster. Make sure the battery is warmed up. Tap "Ludicrous" acceleration mode, enable "Max Battery Power." Then set suspension to the lowest position. Look around for kids, pets, other cars and the police.

1f642.png

I say this in a nice way- You are all a little crazy - can you picture yourself in New York City trying this? Not even on our super slow expressway - you might go 25 feet before you hit something or someone. HaHa!!

I enjoyed sharing "Launch Mode" and did so on a slightly uphill, very lonely, very straight entrance ramp with 700 lb of Pax (my 160 lb included) in my P100 Model X
We videoed the Speedo and it looks like we did 0-60 in 3.9 sec, then continued to 100 mph (I swear by accident!) and slowed to 80 mph as we entered the expressway ONLY Using regenerative braking!
One extra second with the up hill and extra Pax is phenomenal and we all laughed our butts off!
WHAT REALLY IMPRESSED ME IS THE TOTAL DISTANCE: 370 meters or 0.23 miles to go from 0 to 100mph and back to 80 all on the entrance ramp without hydraulic braking!

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 11.20.17 AM.png