Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I tried "Launch Mode" for the first time today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes...
even my passengers all agree its very noticeable.
The first month i got my car, i did a take off in all the modes and then used ludi+ launch. (well this was when we had to preheat the battery)

And im telling you, you can scream fine up to ludi+ , but when i do Ludi+ launch, there is no scream... its a frantic grab at the invisible coat hanger and then the force pushing the arms back on them.

o_O

And i have the pissed off girlfriend and fear induced friends to prove it.
IDK, that wasn't my experience. Was kinda underwhelmed with the launch if truth be told, maybe it's because I'm use to a GTR which is pretty violent? P100DL is definitely faster 0-30 and 0-60, however, after 30 mph, the turbos are spooked up and it's like someone smacks u in the face.

But back to the original question, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between ludicrous and ludicrous+ on launch mode.

IDK, that wasn't my experience. Was kinda underwhelmed with the launch if truth be told, maybe it's because I'm use to a GTR which is pretty violent? P100DL is definitely faster 0-30 and 0-60, however, after 30 mph, the turbos are spooked up and it's like someone smacks u in the face.

But back to the original question, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between ludicrous and ludicrous+ on launch mode.

Launch Mode= no difference... if in max power and it’s “ready.” Drag times actually already stated this too. That no noticeable difference using launch mode.
My times are just what I go off of

Last edited:
What you say about cup 2s is correct - a summer tyre as they don't reach temp in cold or damp
But MPSS is succeeded by MPS4S, NPS4 (no second S) are a different, inferior product line TOTALLY unsuitable for a Tesla.

What you say about cup 2s is correct - a summer tyre as they don't reach temp in cold or damp
But MPSS is succeeded by MPS4S, NPS4 (no second S) are a different, inferior product line TOTALLY unsuitable for a Tesla.

Yes and no, I think he was referring to the Pilot Sport 4, which the 4S is like it’s bigger brother. I think he said the Sport 4 cause he was referencing 19inch wheels. Since they don’t make many ties above 19 inches in the PS4. The PS4S did replace the PSS but the PS4 and PS4S are much better in the wet than the PSS. The PS4 is more for comfort whereas the PS4S is stiffer and made from same materials as the PSS but is more comparable to the PS4 as far as all weather performance goes. The PSS is not as good in the wet as the PS4 or PS4S. Cup 2 is superior to all as far as track performance. To sum it up; The Pilot Sport 3 was succeeded by Pilot Sport 4. The 4S replaced the PSS but is more like the Pilot 4 even though it’s made with the same compounds as the PSS. PS4 will perform very equally to the PS4S in both wet an dry surfaces. It’s is just meant for smaller wheels and comfort

• Informative
Reactions: Rogue Synapse
Are people putting Sport Cup 2s in this car? I would imagine the Pilot Sport 4S would suffice. The higher grip of the SC2s wouldn't offset the longer wear on the 4Ss for me. Unless you're tracking the car?

Probably not many but I can guess who probably has... Elon at Nuremberg lol. It’s meant for Porsche’s (918 etc), Ferrari’s, and basically any GT Models.
I could see the Plaid being one that could if they take the time to heavily improve handling and overheating.

i dont think SC2's are available in 21's to tesla's specifications.

I agree... But they don’t need to be to Tesla’s specs for owners to use them. Discount tire won’t install them for you but anyone with Sport Cups isn’t going near discount tire lol. Almost anyone with 22’s is not following Tesla’s load requirements. Many owners don’t follow Tesla’s tire size but still stay within the load requirements. I guarantee that there are Cup 2’s that fall into Tesla’s load rating in 20’s. Unplugged Performance usually sells a 20 inch rim with the S-Apex Kit or recommends it. 21 inch tires are hard to find to meet the required ratings cuz they are not a common size rim

Yea of course it is. It’s impossible for basically any ice car to compete with the 0-10, 0-20 and 0-30mph times of electric cars like Tesla or the Taycan. Porsche’s 918 probably isn’t as fast either from those areas and it’s a hybrid. Having no transmission , no shifting makes it impossible for an ICE car. But that extra gear Porsche put in the Taycan and seems to have made the world of difference at higher speeds. Something Tesla for once should copy instead of everyone copying them.
The GTR still is impressive being as old as it is with the performance it’s capable of. It was a game changer for sure. Will be interested to see the improvements they make with the newer ones coming

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I recently bought a 2016 Model S P90DL. I've tried launch control just the once and it deffo made a difference, but I didn't wait for the battery to properly warm up and I left the suspension at standard height. Anyway, i was wondering what the 0-60 time is just stomping the 'gas' without using Launch. You know, if that 911 turbo pulls up alongside, do i need to do Launch?!
In my Roadster i never noticed a big difference between Std and Performance modes, although there is no Launch.

I haven't tried Launch Mode yet, but I did discover a maneuver that creates a notably more intense acceleration than a from-stop pedal stomp. It requires a little bit of open road, but not much more than a dead-stop attempt.

I get up to about 40 MPH and then go full regen braking down to about 30 MPH (foot entirely off accelerator). At that point, I go full accelerator and the sensation is heightened. I'm not sure if it's due in part to the rearward acceleration (due to braking) combined with the transition to forward acceleration making a greater overall magnitude of acceleration...and/or some sort of transient/capacitive energy stored at the motor level due to regen.

It would be interesting to have others try this technique, plus I need to try Launch Mode for comparison.

A while back launch mode did NOT make a difference to P85DL. But with recent software changes I would. It be surprised if they limited high discharge power to launch mode.

I also recall some youtube video testing a model x at different suspension heights and finding power restricted at higher suspension levels. It would make sense to do that for model s too as higher suspension levels reportedly stress the axle half shafts.

So for best performance:
  1. 100 SOC
  2. Full mbp to heated temp
  3. A/C and all other lights accessories off
  4. All excess weight out
  5. Low suspension
  6. Launch mode

A while back launch mode did NOT make a difference to P85DL. But with recent software changes I would. It be surprised if they limited high discharge power to launch mode.

I also recall some youtube video testing a model x at different suspension heights and finding power restricted at higher suspension levels. It would make sense to do that for model s too as higher suspension levels reportedly stress the axle half shafts.

So for best performance:
  1. 100 SOC
  4. All excess weight out
  5. Low suspension
  6. Launch mode
Pity that heavy roof glass can't be popped off.

So for best performance:
  1. 100 SOC
  4. All excess weight out
  5. Low suspension
  6. Launch mode

We finally agree for once lol. However I do know that ludicrous did add more kw to the P85D years ago is just never translated to faster times. Tesla obviously knew that it was damaging the battery that’s why they removed them from any lease return or trade in that once had ludicrous. It’s very similar to the fact that the V3 P90DL battery 1088792-00-A is faster than most P100DL’s 0-60mph and does not get close to as much kw so there is clearly more to times than kw/hp. This was the same situation with the P85DL which doesn’t get that much more kw than a P85D as the P100DL does compared to the P90DL V3. The difference between those two kw output is significant yet it won’t outright beat it in 0-60mph times like it should. I know that the V3 battery has the same chemistry as the P100DL which makes it significantly faster than any other P90DL but it should translate with the P100DL being far superior than a V3 P90DL since the difference is over 50kw between the two. I also think using launch mode excessively will cause Tesla to start limiting its performance so I don’t recommend using it too much as I have experienced it first hand. I also think it causes loss of performance overtime from just stressing the battery especially when it is in max battery since it’s having to continue to heat the battery that hot, which other owners will argue that heat is good for the battery but its not. That’s only in comparison to being really cold or really hot. It’s better for the battery to be hot than really cold but neither are good and will cause loss of performance overtime.
You are correct about everything except that launch mode really doesn’t make a difference at all. It’s easier to keep your traction using it but if you know how to push the pedal correctly you can keep your traction without the needing to use launch mode. My fastest times have come without launch mode surprisingly. If you push the pedal down towards the bottom you have a better chance of keeping traction than if you push the pedal down towards the top. No idea why this has an effect it’s just something I learned doing over a 1k timed runs using a dragy with 5 different Tesla’s I’ve owned. Obviously you can tell when you sputter so it’s not like the dragy will help you keep traction. Just a great tool to try different things. I also noticed I usually have better times when I turn regen braking low although you might have to use your brakes excessively if you don’t have room to coast at the end.
I use to think launch mode would give you more acceleration from 0-30mph and would cause you to hit your g’s too fast making the time worse over the long haul but that is not the case either. It definitely will create more g’s but my 0-30moh times are inconclusive using launch mode. Sometimes it’s slower sometimes it’s faster. The charge makes the biggest difference for any electric car even the taycan which tried to claim it would be able to consistently do the same performance whether at 100% Soc or 70% which was proven wrong by drag times. The YouTube kid who races at the track actually tows his car there to keep from losing his charge. He is also loaded from a extremely wealthy family and has several Tesla’s when he goes to the track. Just so he can use ones with as much charge. The decline will start around 85%. Once you are lower than that you will not be able too run as fast as times. Anything over 90% can give you your best time and it usually takes a few runs to reach optimal performance and times. Which doesn’t makes sense except for the tires warming up and perhaps getting better traction cuz you must be at max battery which heats the battery to run your fastest times. It will add at lest 10kw if not more depending how much time you have remaining before max battery is ready.
Your exactly correct about the ride height. The damage created by not setting it too low has been an issue from the beginning especially with the plus suspension. So it will limit the performance if not set too low even if you lowered your car it will still not produce as much kw if it’s not set too low. Exactly for the reason you stated.
Drag times also tested with and without launch mode and there was no conclusive results that it lead to faster times. For any distance

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Bill Price
Yea of course it is. It’s impossible for basically any ice car to compete with the 0-10, 0-20 and 0-30mph times of electric cars like Tesla or the Taycan. Porsche’s 918 probably isn’t as fast either from those areas and it’s a hybrid. Having no transmission , no shifting makes it impossible for an ICE car. But that extra gear Porsche put in the Taycan and seems to have made the world of difference at higher speeds. Something Tesla for once should copy instead of everyone copying them.
The GTR still is impressive being as old as it is with the performance it’s capable of. It was a game changer for sure. Will be interested to see the improvements they make with the newer ones coming
Yeah that’s not true, a Nissan GTR with the alpha omega package from AMS does 0-60 in 1.53 seconds. Quarter mile in 7.7 seconds at 190 miles an hour.

Yeah that’s not true, a Nissan GTR with the alpha omega package from AMS does 0-60 in 1.53 seconds. Quarter mile in 7.7 seconds at 190 miles an hour.

Yea what does a production GTR do? Exactly... nowhere near that. There are endless GTR’s with over 2k+ HP and there are pickup trucks that can do better 0-60mph times with 2500 hp but it shouldn’t be compared to any production car cause just like the rest of these cars that are actually faster in shorter distances they are basically drag cars with parachutes half the time that struggle to just go straight. I compare these cars expect to basically be a funny car. You’re comparing a GTR’s that can be modded out of their mind. Check the numbers on the brand new one that’s coming out and get back to me. You know the one Nissan makes themselves without having some company strip it down a make it a completely different car. There are cars that aren’t street legal that can do 275mph in 1/4 mile cuz they are drag funny cars. You can’t compare some GTR with a cars that are production cars that’s why no one really cares cuz these are a dime a dozen.That’s why you don’t see that GTR on any records cuz it doesn’t count when it’s not a production car since it’s guaranteed 1 of 1. You really think that GTR could hold up against a 918 if it was heavily modded with both gas (might as well add jet fuel while you’re at it) and electric engines, cuz no company wants to ruin the value of a multi million dollar car just so it can do a straight line but no longer can handle on a track . That car also probably did those times once at a drag strip than the next time lost control and crashed and got totaled and never was seen again lol. I could find all types of cars that are on this level from American muscle cars too trucks, and cars that look like complete *sugar* on the exterior but are pushing 1500, 2000, 2500 hp. It probably had rear tires that go on a drag strip car. The kind that are twice the size of the rim and must be heated by doing burnouts so the car won’t lose control and hit the sidewalls. Anyone that knows anything about cars knows that electric cars are superior off the line no debate it’s a fact proven and sealed. That’s why most cars that are fast today have electric motors combined with an engine. The electric motors give it the takeoff while the engine gives it its top speed. Plus they are actually drivable not just able to go in a straight line and struggle to do that without losing control.
So your comparison is an awful one. Let me see a GTR production cars best numbers than talk to me cuz it won’t stand a chance for the simple fact that it doesn’t have the torque and it has to change gears ...Next!
I’m sure if you want to look hard enough you can find a modded electric car that will beat it 0-30mph which what I was referring too not a 1/4 mile or even 0-60mph there are already production cars faster 0-60mph in fact I will just for fun and see if I can find any type of modded electric car which to be honest probably won’t exist for a few more years cuz the batteries that have superior performance are expensive af and made by Tesla and now Porsche only. So I doubt they have created anything like all the drag cars that are doing wheelies when they take off. This is an awful comparison to something I never even claimed but go figure. I stated 0-30mph is a huge advantage for electric cars as we know Mclarens and other cars can beat Tesla’s 0-60mph and o my have 700hp. I guarantee this car probably has close to 2k or more.
Wow look I found a modded electric that isn’t even that impressive as far as the batteries and it’s rt behind a lot of the fastest cars on dragy except a few that would destroy the GTR you referring too. That was also made by a company known for creating insane cars for awhile and this average joe took and electric Tesla motor, dual 85 motors with TWO CHEVY VOLT battery packs haha lol. This thing would destroy your GTR if it had a real battery lmao, and hits these numbers continuously with no fear of losing control

315EFAD0-AC09-49C5-8262-57F72CF6D750.png
C63143B6-3808-4BCD-9B50-4EA2611F2BF0.png

No, I guess it couldn't possibly, given the outstanding numbers it generates. So does that mean somehow it has better traction than the Tesla?
Don’t be fooled this GTR is not that special. GTR’s are known for being able to be modded with crazy hp and for cheap that’s why they are so popular. But you can find plenty of other modded cars putting up similar and even faster times. It’s just that no one cars cuz they are basically drag cars. If you’re going to try to make a comparison please understand or at least read what I said. I was talking about the initial get off to 30mph and I wasn’t referring too cars the have wheelie bars and parachutes. Those are legit cars they one pony trucks that cannot handle for s***. I even gave GTR there props cuz they have been making them impressive for awhile ( I mean Nissan the guys making them have 2000hp is fun to watch once but nothing special it’s been done and the record probably doesn’t exist anymore anyways

• Disagree
Reactions: AMPd and Bill Price
Yea what does a production GTR do? Exactly... nowhere near that. There are endless GTR’s with over 2k+ HP and there are pickup trucks that can do better 0-60mph times with 2500 hp but it shouldn’t be compared to any production car cause just like the rest of these cars that are actually faster in shorter distances they are basically drag cars with parachutes half the time that struggle to just go straight. I compare these cars expect to basically be a funny car. You’re comparing a GTR’s that can be modded out of their mind. Check the numbers on the brand new one that’s coming out and get back to me. You know the one Nissan makes themselves without having some company strip it down a make it a completely different car. There are cars that aren’t street legal that can do 275mph in 1/4 mile cuz they are drag funny cars. You can’t compare some GTR with a cars that are production cars that’s why no one really cares cuz these are a dime a dozen.That’s why you don’t see that GTR on any records cuz it doesn’t count when it’s not a production car since it’s guaranteed 1 of 1. You really think that GTR could hold up against a 918 if it was heavily modded with both gas (might as well add jet fuel while you’re at it) and electric engines, cuz no company wants to ruin the value of a multi million dollar car just so it can do a straight line but no longer can handle on a track . That car also probably did those times once at a drag strip than the next time lost control and crashed and got totaled and never was seen again lol. I could find all types of cars that are on this level from American muscle cars too trucks, and cars that look like complete *sugar* on the exterior but are pushing 1500, 2000, 2500 hp. It probably had rear tires that go on a drag strip car. The kind that are twice the size of the rim and must be heated by doing burnouts so the car won’t lose control and hit the sidewalls. Anyone that knows anything about cars knows that electric cars are superior off the line no debate it’s a fact proven and sealed. That’s why most cars that are fast today have electric motors combined with an engine. The electric motors give it the takeoff while the engine gives it its top speed. Plus they are actually drivable not just able to go in a straight line and struggle to do that without losing control.
So your comparison is an awful one. Let me see a GTR production cars best numbers than talk to me cuz it won’t stand a chance for the simple fact that it doesn’t have the torque and it has to change gears ...Next!
I’m sure if you want to look hard enough you can find a modded electric car that will beat it 0-30mph which what I was referring too not a 1/4 mile or even 0-60mph there are already production cars faster 0-60mph in fact I will just for fun and see if I can find any type of modded electric car which to be honest probably won’t exist for a few more years cuz the batteries that have superior performance are expensive af and made by Tesla and now Porsche only. So I doubt they have created anything like all the drag cars that are doing wheelies when they take off. This is an awful comparison to something I never even claimed but go figure. I stated 0-30mph is a huge advantage for electric cars as we know Mclarens and other cars can beat Tesla’s 0-60mph and o my have 700hp. I guarantee this car probably has close to 2k or more.
Wow look I found a modded electric that isn’t even that impressive as far as the batteries and it’s rt behind a lot of the fastest cars on dragy except a few that would destroy the GTR you referring too. That was also made by a company known for creating insane cars for awhile and this average joe took and electric Tesla motor, dual 85 motors with TWO CHEVY VOLT battery packs haha lol. This thing would destroy your GTR if it had a real battery lmao, and hits these numbers continuously with no fear of losing control

View attachment 528177 View attachment 528176

Don’t be fooled this GTR is not that special. GTR’s are known for being able to be modded with crazy hp and for cheap that’s why they are so popular. But you can find plenty of other modded cars putting up similar and even faster times. It’s just that no one cars cuz they are basically drag cars. If you’re going to try to make a comparison please understand or at least read what I said. I was talking about the initial get off to 30mph and I wasn’t referring too cars the have wheelie bars and parachutes. Those are legit cars they one pony trucks that cannot handle for s***. I even gave GTR there props cuz they have been making them impressive for awhile ( I mean Nissan the guys making them have 2000hp is fun to watch once but nothing special it’s been done and the record probably doesn’t exist anymore anyways
Didn’t read any of your post past the first sentence because you originally said an ICE car couldn’t compete with Tesla from the get go. Clearly I just posted an ICE car that can. You didn’t say anything about production models

nice try at moving the goal posts tho.