TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I understand "Rated Range" but PLEASE explain this to me

Discussion in 'Model S' started by themacs, Jan 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. smac

smac Active Member

#61 smac, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Over the break I had a severe bout of cabin fever, so I tried an experiment.

I charged the car to 100%. Given it's an EU S60, the numbers are way off, so it said 172 miles range.

I drove non stop for 3h30. Cruise set at 70mph on all the divided roads, and stuck to posted limits for the remainder (50 miles of mixed 30/40/50mph limit "surface roads"). Outside temp was 11c (52f), cabin set at 20.5c (70f, but fan speed turned down to 3 not auto), heated seats on, radio on, range on. The only compromise was not breaking the speed limit.

I got to 52%, turned round and drove home (trying to minimize wind and elevation change). Landing back on my charger with 1 mile remaining :)

Result: 189 miles @ c. 300Wh/mi. This is normal, my predicted mileage range is nearly always understated.

Even the ideal figure I beat on my city commute in the summer. Winter is harder.

So like others on here I'd like an average rating, but probably for a different reason. It's subtle, but this understating of mileage plays havoc with the sat nav routing, with it being far too aggressive plotting Supercharger stops. :(

I think in terms of achievability of the stated range which car you have makes a big difference. The easiest to meet is an EU S60 (anything under 340wH/mi will do), whereas what I'm hearing the EU S90D is virtually impossible to hit.

If I'm honest I suspect Tesla have intentionally set the range calcs differently in each car to reinforce some of the range claims, and help encourage/justify the additional price tag.