Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I understand Tesla's point for FSD NDA's to reduce, out of context videos.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

To Tesla's defense, I completely see their point in having owners sign NDA's before releasing testing versions of FSD.

Few people ever post boring videos of things working as they should. Instead, they post the 1 in 1,000 moments that it screwed up and that's what's out there for people to see. Thus leading to the perception that FSD software is this horribly dangerous thing. However, they fail to realize that it did 999 things out of 1,000 correctly.

I consider myself a pretty good driver, but even I makes mistakes, and have to correct those mistakes with hard braking, swerves to the left or right or whatever else may be necessary. I've never kept count, but, very possibly could be that I screw up more than once in a thousand different scenarios. If I posted videos of just those screw ups, DMV would probably be calling me to take my license away.

Naturally, people aren't going to sit and watch hours and hours of video to see how good the software is. Instead, they just focus on the highlights (or Lo-lights).

Tesla's NDA however, was too lenient. Musk complained that people don't listen to him (or the NDA's). But, in my business, I have had to sign plenty. In them, they don't allow me the freedom to "sometimes" not do things. The NDA probably should have just been blunt and to the point, NO POSTING.....PERIOD!. Allowing them the freedom post "some", or "not as many" or "less frequently", etc, etc. leaves them open to do whatever they want, like just post the "some"times that it screws up. As such, Tesla could never enforce anything, other than removing those from the Beta Testing program and removing the ability from their cars.

Of course you'll never be able to stop people from posting the exciting parts of their journey, but would be nice, in fairness, if they loudly explained briefly that this was a "Once in a ??? (number of times)" event. Meaning, it's worked as design nearly all of the time, but this is one time out of ???? (however many) times it made a mistake. Might help (probably not) slow down all the haters dying to see Tesla fail.

I'm one that will certainly criticize things Tesla does. I try to always preface it with the million things I love about the car/company too, hence the reason I've been in multiple Tesla's for 9 years running. I criticize not to be an ass, but in hopes that it might contribute to their improvement to be better. Certainly, every human or company in the universe has areas where they can improve. Nobody is perfect.

But, in the end, actions speak louder than words. Tesla is selling some 500,000 cars a year (I think), so that means that the haters are not getting their way and Tesla just continues to be more and more successful with each passing year. The haters get their bit of material to make themselves feel better with their pathetic lives, thus have to try to bring everyone around them down to their level. But, clearly they're having no measurable impact.

Just food for thought when posting. With the internet, too many internet cowboys out there that could care less about fairness. The world we live in today where so many lengthy "articles" are written based on a two-word Tweet about something. While I couldn't have a Tesla in the 80's or 90's, I certainly miss those pre-internet days when people actually had to "talk to each other".

You realise being a passenger in waymo has a much stronger NDA?

To be clear, the NDA is only for the Trusted Tester Program in SF which is basically the equivalent of Early Access. There is no NDA in Chandler where Waymo has opened it up to everybody. And the NDA in SF will be lifted as soon as Waymo decides to end the Trusted Tester Program and open it up to everybody.

• Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude
There is no NDA specifically for fsd beta.

There was one around early access

Waymo NDA applies to non-paying customers who are actually compensated (paid) with the trip fee covered by the company.

Once customers start to pay an actual trip fee, there's no NDA.

It's a transaction: Customers get compensated with a free trip, and in turn, they sign an NDA. If they don't sign NDA, that means they are paying customers.

Waymo NDA applies to non-paying customers who are actually compensated (paid) with the trip fee covered by the company.

Once customers start to pay an actual trip fee, there's no NDA.

It's a transaction: Customers get compensated with a free trip, and in turn, they sign an NDA. If they don't sign NDA, that means they are paying customers.

Exactly. I would add that CA has rules that you cannot charge money for rides in an autonomous vehicle unless you have a special permit. Waymo recently got that special permit but before that, they were prohibited from charging for rides. So giving free rides is a good way to get customer feedback without breaking the rules.

• Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude
I didn’t have to sign an NDA. Perhaps it’s implied in the agreement.
Can’t have an “implied” NDA. Not in Florida or any other state I’m aware of, at least. An NDA is an agreement to refrain from exercising rights you otherwise have (such as speaking freely). Abdicating or restraining fundamental rights generally can only be done by express and very clear and specific agreement. Results may vary on jurisdiction.