Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want a charging snake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you know that on the P cars in the US, the charging port can actually close electronically? At least in the earlier models I am sure that they could. That would come in handy when the snake is finally released. But on the other hand, if the snake can snake its way into the charging orifice automatically, I suppose it could easily slam the charging port door shut on its way out.

Anyway, how long is this prototype bloody gunna take? Let's have one already!

Edit: Oh I see from this thread that the auto close charging port is becoming more common... New charge port surround for Oz

Last edited:
I see this more as a proof of concept than as something they're seriously planning to implement anytime soon. If they do get it out into production, at say a Supercharger, it may end up being a single test unit, as with the battery swapping station.

I disagree. It hasn't been important to rush the snake out until autonomous driving capabilities and rules improve, but automated Supercharging is inherent to Elon's "summon across the country" goal - and will be really useful at busy supercharger locations as well.

I don't think there's any question that within five years Tesla will have some sort of automated charger in general service - it may or may not resemble the snake they showed us last year.