Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want a new Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Shock-On-T

⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️
Jun 26, 2016
Sydney
Has anyone else noticed that the pace of innovation seems to be slowing at Tesla?
When I bought my Model S in 2016 I got a facelifted AP1 car.
So the car had just had an exterior refresh.
A few short months later AP2 was released (didn't realise at the time I'd dodged a bullet :)).
Then AP2.5.
Then AP3.
But it's now been two years and there really hasn't been much change. Slightly more efficient with Raven, but no visible design or ergonomic changes.
The interior has barely changed for almost 10 years!
I have extended warranty insurance until 2022, so no risk-avoidance reason to update the car. I keep waiting for a compelling reason to change vehicles, but none is forthcoming. If I keep the car until 2022 it will be the longest I've kept any car. I can't stomach going back to ICE, but there are no EVs (Tesla or otherwise) that are a step better than my 4 year old Model S.

TLDR; Tesla, refresh the Model S and take my money!

But isnt the "lack of a compelling reason to update" a good thing in a way? Why do you normally upgrade ANY car?

(1) Its wearing out. Well, it's early days, but BEVs do seem to be wearing out much less than ICE (as they should).
(2) To get new technology/features. But you've been getting that anyway without buying a new car with OTA updates etc.
(3) Status and/or bragging rights. Hmm, no comment :)

So in a way, you have been upgrading your car, just in small increments instead of one big change. However, cosmetically I agree that the S/X are getting a bit old looking interiors (though the exterior is holding up pretty well imho).

There is also a tendency for the pace of innovation to taper off anyway as a technology matures. Look at smartphones, where the annual refreshes used to be amazing and are now, at best, incremental and/or underwhelming. I think there is still lots of room in the Tesla space for big innovations, and we are nowhere near the flattening curve we see with smartphones, but some of the tech leaps are hard (FSD, battery improvements) and do take years of work.

I'd certainly see sense in a minor upgrade of the S.

- Bigger charge port door so it can fit a CCS connector.
- Landscape screen like 3/Y
- Maybe a HUD to replace instrument cluster (speed/nav only) (and make it an option on 3/Y)
- Colour changing LED interior lights (seems to be a premium thing albeit I think it's tacky)

• Disagree
Reactions: cartwright
Yes, I feel the same, have a 2017 AP 2.5 and it really does everything I need.

The one thing that would certainly entice me to update would be if they redesigned the inner door skins to incorporate a drink bottle holder and storage pocket. I have been expecting this for years now, all other models have this, even the model X door skins would almost fit.

Every previous car I have owned has had these in various forms and they are really missed.

Such a simple change that would greatly improve the interior amenity of a great car.

Has anyone else noticed that the pace of innovation seems to be slowing at Tesla?
A few short months later AP2 was released (didn't realise at the time I'd dodged a bullet :)).
Then AP2.5.
Then AP3.
But it's now been two years and there really hasn't been much change. Slightly more efficient with Raven, but no visible design or ergonomic changes.
I have extended warranty insurance until 2022, so no risk-avoidance reason to update the car. I keep waiting for a compelling reason to change vehicles, but none is forthcoming. If I keep the car until 2022 it will be the longest I've kept any car. I can't stomach going back to ICE, but there are no EVs (Tesla or otherwise) that are a step better than my 4 year old Model S.

I'm totally on-board with wanting a solid refresh, but I will point out that I had a 2015 P85DL, and now I'm driving a late-2019 Model S Dual Motor (the evolution of what we all call a P100D).
There has been significant improvement-
-I am still surprised at how QUIET this one is compared to the P85DL (and the P90D that followed it). Quiet motors and body.
-The AV stuff is much quicker and better
-the things is stupid fast up to 140 or so; maybe well above that I don't know
-markedly more efficient (151Wh/km)
-Autopilot getting pretty good (took a while to overtake the old Mobileye system)
-HVAC better and BWDM

Things that REGRESSED- no sunroof; heavier car; glass less IR-proof.

So depending on your whims, you could drive a 2020 and see what you think. Probably silly to upgrade now, but it IS a step up.
Also- as soon as you upgrade, the refresh and Plaid upgrade will be announced ;)

But isnt the "lack of a compelling reason to update" a good thing in a way? Why do you normally upgrade ANY car?
I agree, it's not exactly a horrible position to be "stuck" with the best car on the road (author's opinion).
As for why I used to upgrade cars, the reasons would be:
- aesthetic, new style, new headlight tech, tail light tech
- comfort, new seating features, more soft touchpoints
- performance improvements, efficiency improvements, NVH improvements
- improved electronics (screens, entertainment, reversing camera)
- improved performance
- change of lifestyle needs (4wd, 7 seats)
- tax reasons! I've just done my 2019/20 return and if I'd know I'd keep the car 7 years would have used prime cost!

But if I'm completely honest the over-arching reason for upgrading is boredom and an endless search for novelty.

I suspect that the Model S will share the CyberTruck horizontal 17" display.

This might be a drawback looking at new EV with multiple screens like:
- the three screens, side view mirrors and digital rear view mirror of the Honda e,
- and even the coming Nissan Ariya with dual screen and Head Up display....​

(1) Its wearing out. Well, it's early days, but BEVs do seem to be wearing out much less than ICE (as they should).
(2) To get new technology/features. But you've been getting that anyway without buying a new car with OTA updates etc.
(3) Status and/or bragging rights. Hmm, no comment :)

So in a way, you have been upgrading your car, just in small increments instead of one big change. However, cosmetically I agree that the S/X are getting a bit old looking interiors (though the exterior is holding up pretty well imho).

There is also a tendency for the pace of innovation to taper off anyway as a technology matures. Look at smartphones, where the annual refreshes used to be amazing and are now, at best, incremental and/or underwhelming. I think there is still lots of room in the Tesla space for big innovations, and we are nowhere near the flattening curve we see with smartphones, but some of the tech leaps are hard (FSD, battery improvements) and do take years of work.
How can the interior be a bit ‘old looking’ when no other manufacturer has yet achieved resla levels of interior simplicity? I mean those legacy makers still have knobs and dials!

Then AP2.5.
Then AP3.

When I changed my 2015 85D (just pre-facelift) to a late 2018 model I noticed a significant difference (improvement) in the handling and ride quality, as well as the vastly superior (and lower) seats. Thats not suggesting the older one was bad, because it wasnt, but the newer model just feels more solid and connected.

Reactions: ICUDoc
How can the interior be a bit ‘old looking’ when no other manufacturer has yet achieved resla levels of interior simplicity? I mean those legacy makers still have knobs and dials!
Haha, I agree with you, but I remember having an apartment years ago with an amazing view of Sydney CBD, at dusk the buildings would be glittering orange with the last of the sun against a dark purple sky.
I think we see where this is going :) As the months and years rolled on that view became less and less enthralling. Same with my objectively beautiful Model S interior. It's a thing of great beauty that I've been staring at for 4 years.
(It occurs to me I've been married a lot longer than that, but that's another matter!)

• Funny
Reactions: paulp
Given how long-lived you'd hope an EV would be, I wonder whether Tesla would eventually offer an interior refresh for older vehicles.

Replacement seats, steering wheel, centre console, possibly the MCU, and any other high-touch panels. Spruce it up, good as new. And perhaps relocate the cup holders forward on older Model S cars at the same time.

AP hardware might also be worthwhile.

I imagine a few grand worth of revenue is worthwhile, and it may allay your "this car is worn and tatty, I want a new one" urge.

Given how long-lived you'd hope an EV would be, I wonder whether Tesla would eventually offer an interior refresh for older vehicles.

Replacement seats, steering wheel, centre console, possibly the MCU, and any other high-touch panels. Spruce it up, good as new. And perhaps relocate the cup holders forward on older Model S cars at the same time.

I imagine a few grand worth of revenue is worthwhile, and it may allay your "this car is worn and tatty, I want a new one" urge.
Somehow I suspect tesla would prefer to sell a new car, which is better for the cause as its another EV in Australia

Crikey! Insure My Tesla (from Marsh Advantage Insurance on Tesla’s website) just quoted me $7400 for 4 years 160,000km
Any conditions or hoops you have to jump through when claiming?
I haven't had to claim yet, but others on the forum have had good results.
Having said that, I just went online to check details and it appears they are no longer issuing new policies due to "the current economic climate".

You can also get your car "pimped" after-market.
New upholstery/cushioning, carpet, headliner etc. Make it unique!