TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I Want an X....

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Cnasty, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

Long story short....
    I had an S.
    Traded it in so my wife could have the Model 3 when it arrived.
    It has arrived and its an amazing car for her.
    I bought a truck because 2 kids, house, weekly Lowe's visits etc etc.
    Hate it.
    I miss driving a Tesla daily.

Truck has 2k miles on it and I want an X to replace it.

Anyone have any ideas or options of what I can do? I know, far fetched first world problems but I feel many of my fellow Tesla owners will get it and somewhat understand my mistake and offer guidance :)

Any ideas?

• Informative x 1
  2. Insight75

Insight75 Member

Sell the truck and buy the X. Buy a used one. That's what I did. Saved a ton.

• Like x 2
  3. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

How do i sell the truck having only owned it for 2 weeks? I guess thats my dilemma.

4. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I'm kinda in your boat. We love our S, but we're thinking that the Model 3 plus an X is a far better fit for us than an S and a 3. We just seem to need an SUV-type vehicle and a sedan. The former for long family trips with the dog and the latter for commuting.

I think when our S gets a little older, and the pain this year's expenditures on solar. Model 3, and other stuff have faded, we'll get rid of the S and pick up a used X.

• Like x 1
  5. Insight75

Insight75 Member

2 weeks or 2 years....its all the same. you are going to take a hit money wise but if you really want it, it can be done.

• Like x 1
  6. sub

sub Active Member

You give someone the truck plus a stack of cash to take it off your hands.

I keep my old 1994 landcruiser for what you mentioned, it's semi collectible and gets the job done. Will never buy a new to me gas car again.

7. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

This is exactly it. I think this will be a great combo and hoping to get there some day.

I know I will take a bath at this point but I am guessing the urge and actual need isnt big enough to lose money on a deal and will suck it up for a year or 2. I am just curious if anyone has ever done this in such a fast turnaround time and got out of a vehicle.

8. Raphymartinez

Raphymartinez Member

Been in the car business for over 14 years. A truck you just bought is going to hurt to trade or sell so quickly (a lot). To those that say 2 months or two years makes no difference...it does. At least you got house out of it over 2 years. It will depreciate the most over the first 2 to 3 tears so if you can, get the most use out of it over that time and them sell it. Unless your financial situation is one where a few thiithou dollars won't make a difference to you. In which case, get what you really want.

9. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

First off.... need a referral code? just kidding.

Now.... let's see, I'll come up with a method: We need to stage an accident to gracefully commit insurance fraud without injuring yourself too much when you stage a brick wall collision.... better yet, I want you to find Bob Lutz and wreck into him in your truck while he is using supercruise.... then, we will sue the bejesus out of him and GM (I say "we" because I require a 10% cut of the settlement).... with the proceeds we will have effectively paid for your X and set supercruise back a few years. Tesla will benefit. From now on, we need to quit communicating on the forum. Shhhhhhhhh

• Funny x 2
  10. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

Wife has an x
    I have a 3
    Just aquired my brothers 2016 tacoma trd 4x4 double cab (after he got a 3)
    Perfect three vehicles to have.

11. MGMDaware

MGMDaware Falcor

I have a truck and an X. My wife maybe drives 3k miles/yr (works from home and we live in city), so she just uses the truck when needed. Honestly, if she decided she wanted a new/different car, I would probably keep the truck and get her something smaller. It's just so nice to have a car that I can make those lowes/home depot/garden center runs. Granted, you can get a cover for the back of the X and utilize the SUV space, but I need a workhorse!

12. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

if you put a downpayment on ur truck, the trade in value should still be more than the value of the car with that few miles on it. Otherwise just pay the difference, trade in the truck and buy the X. when you order it'll take 3 months to get anyways.

13. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I am going to give the truck some time as I really love having the space and utility of it and will wait to see what the Y offers and for the X used pool to get bigger as well.

Much appreciated!

14. P100DHG.

P100DHG. Member

What truck did you buy? We have a Model X and Model S and a 2018 GMC 3500 SRW Denali with a 4” lift.

I love them all but my truck is favorite. Shhh don’t tell my Teslas ;).