Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want "inverse summon"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it's great to summon my car from its parking space to the door of the building, especially on a cold and wintery day. What I would also like, though, is the inverse: I want to be able to pull into a parking space, gesture to the car to "learn" that spot, then drive myself to the front door, get out, and have the car return to that parking space and park itself. Later, of course, I would summon the car, as usual, to the door when it's time to leave.

This would be especially useful when I'm carrying elderly family members who appreciate being dropped at the door. Sure, I could do that myself, as I do now, but it would be really nice if we could all get out of the car at the door and have the car park itself exactly where we want it to.

Yes, it's great to summon my car from its parking space to the door of the building, especially on a cold and wintery day. What I would also like, though, is the inverse: I want to be able to pull into a parking space, gesture to the car to "learn" that spot, then drive myself to the front door, get out, and have the car return to that parking space and park itself. Later, of course, I would summon the car, as usual, to the door when it's time to leave.

This would be especially useful when I'm carrying elderly family members who appreciate being dropped at the door. Sure, I could do that myself, as I do now, but it would be really nice if we could all get out of the car at the door and have the car park itself exactly where we want it to.
Maybe the feature could be called "AutoValet" ;)

I think that feature is definitely coming later. We saw it way back in the 2016 FSD demo. The old FSD website specifically mentioned it. And Elon may have hinted at it too when he said that something called "Smart Park" is coming. So it is coming. Smart Summon is just the first step. Once they get Smart Summon really reliable, Tesla can combine it with Smart Park, give the driver the option on the screen to "launch" Smart Park before they get out, and done. But Smart Summon has to be more reliable before they can take this next step.

Last edited:

Elon said Smart Park is coming in the next few months (who knows if the timeline is correct tho). You won't be able to pick a specific spot...but if you can then summon it to you after, who cares?

Reactions: APotatoGod
With the hope that the ‘learned’ space is still available?

Why not just drive to the door, have everybody get out, and send the car on it’s way to find any spot, within smart summon range. I believe this feature is already expected.

My suggestion would presumably be easier to implement because I'm willing to "teach" the car what spot to park in and watch it as it does so, just as I watch it when I summon it to me to make sure there are no undetected obstacles.

This described behavior could be a stepping stone to "smart park," where the car is trusted to just go find a space on its own.

Sheesh, I am meticulous about seeking out spots that reduce risk. I look for end spaces, spaces where others have left lots of margin, spaces where both sides are passenger doors, spaces next to sedans... no car of mine is parking itself unless it also projects a force field!!!

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Just to inject a little realism in the discussion, smart park better be super reliable or nobody is going to use. Smart Summon is one thing because you are supposed to keep line of sight and it only works within 200 ft. Getting out of your car and letting it go off and park is a different matter. And will I need to hold the "smart park" button on the app like we do with smart summon? If so, that will take some of the usefulness away if I have to stand there within line of sight and hold a button while the car self-parks. Also keep in mind that Elon's tweet mentioned that Smart Park would be "silly" at first. So I don't think we should expect it to be super amazing out of the gate. It might be a gasp... "parlor trick" at first.

But I do want Smart Park and I want it to be awesome. Just want to set expectations.

With the hope that the ‘learned’ space is still available?

Why not just drive to the door, have everybody get out, and send the car on it’s way to find any spot, within smart summon range. I believe this feature is already expected.

The only problem with this is that I like to park away from others to avoid door dings. Maybe the car will learn to park away from other cars??? I mean if you don’t have to walk to your car anymore why not have it park far away?

Reactions: Kmartyn
The only problem with this is that I like to park away from others to avoid door dings. Maybe the car will learn to park away from other cars??? I mean if you don’t have to walk to your car anymore why not have it park far away?
I hear that. I had two dings repaired a month ago. Out here in the desert, it gets windy. Sometimes folks lose control of their doors because the wind grabs them and...smash! I try not to park next to anyone.