Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want my Mommy....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know. That's how I found it. But it's still interesting to see if any "normal" owners have given it whirl.

"normal" driver here. why spend all that money and not use what you paid for? sheesh don't be such a baby. i've done a bunch of Ludicrous+ launches. i used the PowerTools app to monitor the HP output and 0-60 times.

you don't need track training, haha. the car is perfectly stable at 60mph. it only takes a couple seconds, and it's perfectly safe. as long as you make sure there's no danger of anyone pulling out in front of you, there's zero risk.

If and when they do, they may be shortening the length of time they get full power out of their cars. Tesla is watching, and limiting...

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

"Tesla is" or "Tesla may be"?

Given that we're about to make a pack of lawyers (even) richer could various model version owners take some measurements of counter values vs power output? Maybe plot a graph or something? Share their findings?

"Tesla is" or "Tesla may be"?

Given that we're about to make a pack of lawyers (even) richer could various model version owners take some measurements of counter values vs power output? Maybe plot a graph or something? Share their findings?

Tesla has already admitted they did this to @Tech_Guy's car, assumig his reports are accurate.

His P90DL has lost 100 horse power. It is only a few months old.

The counters are also quite well documented by now - a lot of activities seem to increment them, not just launch mode:

One week ago today, I learned this bombshell. I have 5,000 miles and I drive totally normal. No launch mode. Some spirited merges. Occasional demo to prospective Tesla curious folks:

Service advisor just gave me credible info.

3 counters

One for Launches/WOT over 1500 amps. (I have 92 and have never used launch mode)

One for rolling mashes that are hard but under 1500 amps (mine is 134)

One for "mixture" (mine is 311.6)

They are protecting wire bonds.

625 is hard cut for Launches.

Rolling mashes counts towards mixture. Cut is 3068 for Mixture limit.

what a bunch of whiny babies. i'd love to see you take dyno results at 30,000 miles or whatever back to BMW and try to get a refund.

There's a big difference between ordinary wear and tear resulting in lower power output and the manufacturer removing power artificially, to protect their own interests (lower warranty repair costs.)

But this isn't the thread in which to have this discussion. Plenty of discussion going on in the thread I linked to.

There's a big difference between ordinary wear and tear resulting in lower power output and the manufacturer removing power artificially, to protect their own interests (lower warranty repair costs.)

But this isn't the thread in which to have this discussion. Plenty of discussion going on in the thread I linked to.

you guys are the ones who seem to want to make EVERY thread about your pet issue.

"normal" driver here. why spend all that money and not use what you paid for? sheesh don't be such a baby. i've done a bunch of Ludicrous+ launches. i used the PowerTools app to monitor the HP output and 0-60 times.

you don't need track training, haha. the car is perfectly stable at 60mph. it only takes a couple seconds, and it's perfectly safe. as long as you make sure there's no danger of anyone pulling out in front of you, there's zero risk.

Personally, I am currently leaning on not giving it a whirl when I get the P100D update. I am actually leaning on running it in Sport mode for most of the time. I admit, I am worried about loosing horse power by using the regular Ludicrous mode, let alone the Ludicrous+. I also worry Tesla might use Ludicrous+ as a reason to withhold even more warranty services and advance counters even faster in normal use.

I would not be worried about normal wear and tear. Or even the chance of something breaking. Those are gradual and in many cases maintenance regime can make them better at a cost. And they can usually be fixed. Having a maintenance cost would be OK. But the info currently is: counters watching the car can seriously cut into its performance (and its value) and apparently do so permanently, and in all modes, with no fix. That does give me pause.

I agree the counter topic can continue in its own thread: Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits Just saying why I would spend all that money and not use it. I am afraid of it being taken away abruptly.

So, yes, in Tesla parlance, I guess I want my Mommy.

Last edited:
I've tried it. Haven't been able to do a full launch yet, but I've enabled L+ on my car 2 or 3 times now. Once the weather clears up and I have a chance to go for a ride I will have to test it more thoroughly. I really wish all you guys complaining about counters and trying to blow everything out of proportion compared to the actual facts we have (virtually none) would stick to your designated 100+ page thread where you can complain and whine as much as you want. Leave the rest of us alone.