Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"I Want Tesla to take the lead"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off wanted to thank everyone here for the plethora of information! For all the mixed reviews I have read about going with Tesla Solar, having a super active community like this one is definitely a mark in their favor.

I just purchased my first house earlier this year and am looking into getting solar installed thanks to a combo of the crazy heat this year and PGE's insane rates for electricity. Looking at the Tesla Solar website I noticed a new option appear on the signup page that I hadn't noticed before saying "I want Tesla to take the lead":

teslalead.png

Does anyone know what this is referring to, or any suggestions on whether I should check the box or not? I'm constantly hearing that you need to actively manage your Tesla solar install, so I'm not sure it's a good idea to check. But I would also like to get the install done as quickly as possible to hopefully still qualify for the 26% tax credit (I know I'm cutting it close). I can't find any deeper info anywhere regarding what this option actually entails, so hopefully someone here has an idea - or maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Its just BS. 2 months back on this day I placed my order and its nowhere. I learned that I have to constantly prod my advisor to do anything to move forward. Its a frustrating experience.
Did you have this option and check this box? I had not heard of this box before, and it sounds like it is an attempt to avoid exactly these issues.

It sounds like if you check this box, you would have minimal interaction with Tesla - I assume you still need to assign the contract and any interconnection agreements, but they would more or less tell you what you are getting production-wise, apply for permits, and show up one day to install (hopefully they at least notify you when it is coming.) I would be pretty reluctant to choose this option, however, because a number of users have posted proposed layouts from Tesla that are far from optimal and have had to go through iterations to get the best design. So, unless it is really obvious where the panels would go (like only one roof plane available) I think I would still want a chance to review the design.

The only other thought on this option is it might be a way to get an install in 2020 where the full process would drag to 2021.

It sounds like if you check this box, you would have minimal interaction with Tesla - I assume you still need to assign the contract and any interconnection agreements, but they would more or less tell you what you are getting production-wise, apply for permits, and show up one day to install (hopefully they at least notify you when it is coming.) I would be pretty reluctant to choose this option, however, because a number of users have posted proposed layouts from Tesla that are far from optimal and have had to go through iterations to get the best design. So, unless it is really obvious where the panels would go (like only one roof plane available) I think I would still want a chance to review the design.

The only other thought on this option is it might be a way to get an install in 2020 where the full process would drag to 2021.

This pretty much mirrors my thought process, which is why I've been waffling on whether to check it or not. The difference in 22% vs 26% tax credit for me would only be about $500, so I'm leaning towards gambling that amount on having better control and input during the design phase.

I’ve never seen that before either, but my concern with it is that it seems like you are giving Tesla permission to choose where to put your solar panels. Normally they will provide you a panel layout map to approve. I feel like there is some risk here as we have seen some less than optimal panel layouts from Tesla that people have been able to get Tesla to change. But we have also seen some good panel layouts too.

I guess my thought would be that if you’re looking at a smaller system and you have an open roof with few or no vents on the planes that are facing in optimal directions then it’s probably minimal risk to check that box.

If you’re looking at a larger system and/or you have a complicated roof then you might want more control to try to make sure Tesla can squeeze in as many panels as possible in the optimal positions.

Reactions: jboy210
The diff between 22% and 26% tax credit is not that much. I would get the system you feel comfortable with from a cost and production guarantee standpoint. I also think getting anything with Powerwalls this year is unlikely.

Now, whether you decide what that configuration is or let Tesla do it is up to you.

FWIW, my guess is Tesla added this option because buyers can over analyze this and get into analysis paralysis and never move forward. And also getting wed to panels in a specific configuration even if the net difference in production over a year is minimal.

Like others mention, to me, that box basically says "I dont care what you put on my roof, just hurry up and do it" which means to me that it looks like you are pre approving anything they do.

There is absolutely zero chance in "heck" I would ever check such a box, and cant even conceptualize why anyone else would either. Anyone considering checking this box should ask themselves "If I was re doing my kitchen, would I let a contractor give me a price for "Kitchen remodel" that gives them carte blanche to remodel my kitchen however THEY want, with whatever products they pick, just so I can get it done in 9 weeks vs 12 weeks"?

That should be a hard pass for anyone who managed to find their way to this message board (implying a desire to learn about the product).

Anyone considering checking this box should ask themselves "If I was re doing my kitchen, would I let a contractor give me a price for "Kitchen remodel" that gives them carte blanche to remodel my kitchen however THEY want, with whatever products they pick, just so I can get it done in 9 weeks vs 12 weeks"?

I’m not sure it’s quite the same as your kitchen remodel example. Even without checking the box you get very little choice in a tesla solar install. No matter what you get the panels Tesla wants and the inverters tesla wants. About the only choice you do have is panel placement and as I said above, with a small system and an easy roof I’m not sure I’d be too concerned about letting tesla pick the panel placement.

I’m not sure it’s quite the same as your kitchen remodel example. Even without checking the box you get very little choice in a tesla solar install. No matter what you get the panels Tesla wants and the inverters tesla wants. About the only choice you do have is panel placement and as I said above, with a small system and an easy roof I’m not sure I’d be too concerned about letting tesla pick the panel placement.

To me, that would just be the difference between a small condo kitchen and a larger kitchen remodel. You can push tesla to provide optimizers if they didnt put them in the quote, you can ask them to move panels around or max out your roof, you can say where you would like the equipment installed (what wall, inside vs outside), you can request hidden conduit or not (with an additional cost)...

There are things a person might ask for, but yes it is dependent on size of install, etc.

Yes I had that option when I ordered exactly 2 months back on July 28. Like I said it means nothing.
That does seem poor if people checking the box are still having to push the work forward. It also is a case where Tesla needs to make status information more available to customers.

I would agree, and if forced to choose, would choose solar over a kitchen for a "blind" install. But I still would not prefer it in either case.

But, for the average customer who doesn't come to these boards, the concept (though it sounds like maybe not the execution) probably makes sense, at least from Tesla's perspective. They are trying to save money and speed installs by reducing options and decision points that take human interaction. Since they introduced the size options, they may well have found that many customers (again, not on these boards) are just picking a system size and then saying "yes" to whatever drawing Tesla sends back. So, now they are just moving that option up front.

But, even if that part actually works, we all know that there are a lot of other factors involved, including getting contracts signed, arranging payments/financing, pulling permits, getting utility agreements signed, etc. So it still won't necessarily be quick, and that means Tesla needs to do a better job of keeping customers updated on status. The current status information Tesla provides is not sufficient even when you do have a dedicated advisor you can (hopefully) get in touch with, and I think it would be even more crucial where the customer is not involved in the project decisions.

I think the biggest problem is just reducing all of this decision making to a single checkbox with minimal explanation. We're all speculating on what it actually means - ideally it should be crystal clear. If it really does place 100% of the decision making on Tesla's side - that is...concerning. Although I concede that anyone coming to these boards (myself included) are likely not the type of people looking to give up that much autonomy.

So again wanted to thank everyone for the great discussion! I went ahead and placed my order - and left that box unchecked.

For what its worth, for the guy who didn't know who his project advisor was, I got a text from my advisor immediately after ordering along with what looks like a direct line to contact him. Fingers crossed the rest of the order goes smoothly! I will have to document the process in a new thread once things move along further.

I may be totally wrong on this, but it seems like most of the complaints about Tesla bad service are not in California or at least northern California. Perhaps locaton makes a big difference on who the Advisor is?
Phoenix area install here. My advisor's phone number on my account is for Palo Alto, CA. She was reasonably responsive through email for most of my project until inspections. Then someone locally basically took over to schedule and coordinate the inspection process through text. All that remains is getting PTO, but that number seems to be the generic text notification number.

No way would I click that box. Perhaps if they came out with a drone for a full high-resolution 3D mapped flyover before they proposed a design, but not a chance under their current process of looking at fuzzy Google maps satellite images.

Curious about this option as I don't get it with my address, plugged in an address in San Jose as well as Monterey and that option is not available either. Plugged in an address in Central Valley and and another one in Central Coast sleepy town then the option is available, seems like it is location specific and seemingly not in big urban area, not sure if it is true or why. Also I come to think that responsiveness of project advisor is like doctor bedside manner, it does not change the fact, the backend process still matters regardless what your advisor tells you.

Curious about this option as I don't get it with my address, plugged in an address in San Jose as well as Monterey and that option is not available either. Plugged in an address in Central Valley and and another one in Central Coast sleepy town then the option is available, seems like it is location specific and seemingly not in big urban area, not sure if it is true or why

It’s really strange - I’ve been playing around with the Tesla solar page for about a month while I waited for my refinance to close and it wasn’t there. Then right when I’m ready to pull the trigger it shows up for me. Maybe just some fancy AI stuff going on that analyzes how efficiently they can install on certain markets given whatever parameters (local permitting, recent orders, etc)?

Somebody should tweet Elon...