Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want to buy a used Tesla, how do I make sure it has the self driving hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cvos

Apr 30, 2015
Ca la
I am in the market for a used Tesla, but I want the self driving hardware and radar for when true self driving is available. How do I make sure the car I buy has these features and this advanced capability?

Thank you

While checking the build date will help filter your searches, the most obvious information would be revealed in a test drive before purchasing. You'll be able to see through the features, and via the car behavior if it truly has autopilot.

If built after September 2014, it has it. In September 2014, probably best to ask for the Monrooney sticker to see if "Tech Package with Autopilot" is listed. Before September 2014, it won't have it.
It's possible for a car built in September 2014 to have the autopilot hardware without having "Tech Package with Autopilot" listed, because that package didn't exist until after the October announcement of the dual-motor configuration. To echo what morbot said, the way to check is to go to the Controls screen and make sure that there is a Driver Assistance tab under Settings, with (at least) Speed Assist, Lane Departure Warning, and Forward Collision Warning features.

Your questions may be answered by looking in the following WiKi... ---> Model S options by year - a running history - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

I actually have that book marked. But since I can't physically see the vehicles, I have to rely on the descriptions. The VIN's don't help much. Of course one can always contact the Store that has the car your interested in for all the details.

I'm also trying to understand the significance of the last letter displayed on the battery packs. I keep reading about A, B, C, D and now E batteries. What does that mean (are the later batteries better) and has Tesla changed battery packs mid year? Again knowing the build date might help.

Thanks

I actually have that book marked. But since I can't physically see the vehicles, I have to rely on the descriptions. The VIN's don't help much. Of course one can always contact the Store that has the car your interested in for all the details.

I'm also trying to understand the significance of the last letter displayed on the battery packs. I keep reading about A, B, C, D and now E batteries. What does that mean (are the later batteries better) and has Tesla changed battery packs mid year? Again knowing the build date might help.

Thanks

The letter suffix on the main drive battery pack indicated the version of the pack as you would suspect. However, Tesla has been pretty tight lipped regarding the version to version changes and to my knowledge there is little real data regarding the pack differences and modifications. Many here suspect and have shown solder connections in early packs have been changed to plug type connections.
Others feel that the contacts have undergone improvements. I think the current pack is an E. Someone who was doing a tour of the TM plant saw some packs marked with an F, but as of this time, there is no evidence that the F pack exists.

Lastly, it is MHO that the certified pre-owned area does need to list more details about the autos listed there so that you and others looking for CPO cars can make meaningful comparisons and desicions.

Good luck with your quest. Glad you bookmarked the WiKi.

I am only about 6 months away from ordering my first S... time is going by SLOWLY.... as you can imagine.

The last letter represents the revision of that specific part number. The reason people worry so much about that particular revision is that the revision "A" 85 kWh pack could only supercharge at a maximum of 90 kW (compared to 120 kW on "B" and later packs), meaning that supercharging took a few minutes longer. Early car buyers felt frustrated that the battery pack was updated shortly after their car shipped. The remainder of the differences between revisions are largely unknown.

What complicates the matter is that revisions are different among packs - for example, the latest revision of the 85D pack is "B", while there are reports of "F" revisions for the RWD packs (as Art noted), and E is the latest ship of P85D packs.

It's possible for a car built in September 2014 to have the autopilot hardware without having "Tech Package with Autopilot" listed, because that package didn't exist until after the October announcement of the dual-motor configuration. To echo what morbot said, the way to check is to go to the Controls screen and make sure that there is a Driver Assistance tab under Settings, with (at least) Speed Assist, Lane Departure Warning, and Forward Collision Warning features.

Can't you also look at the cruise control stalk to see if it has the TACC markings?

I am in the market for a used Tesla, but I want the self driving hardware and radar for when true self driving is available. How do I make sure the car I buy has these features and this advanced capability?

If you can see pictures of the vehicle, you can look for the radar module in the front grill.

The user looking for confirmation of folding mirrors will have a harder time of it. The window module on the driver's-side door is different (three buttons along the top row instead of two), but otherwise visually identical. Worse, rollout was spread over several months with cars both with and without shipping simultaneously, so there's no hard cutoff date. It started in the low 20k VINs (mine is 25k and was among the first week or two of deliveries with them), so if it's lower than that it definitely doesn't have them.

Tesla's CPO site makes both the above difficult.

Can't you also look at the cruise control stalk to see if it has the TACC markings?
Not sure; I seem to recall that the CC stalk placement got changed slightly ahead of when the autopilot hardware started being included, so it might be that some cars have a CC stalk with the markings but can never use it for TACC.

There's an easier way, though: look for the front-facing radar in the center of the front grille, below the nose cone. If that's there, you have autopilot hardware. and if it isn't, you don't. Here's a picture from elsewhere on the internet:
e6afFwF.jpg

What others have said is pretty much true but it's theoretically possible for the car to have the hardware, to have the tech package, and not have autopilot. It's doubtful, but if you do get a car like that, you'd have to pay a $500 upgrade fee. As strange as it seems, for those who bought the car before the announcement, Tesla wanted an extra $500 to enable the ability to get autopilot related software updates, except for people who ordered fog lamps. Tesla didn't actually upgrade the tech package for those customers who paid, but merely enabled the ability to get the software upgrades.

You won't be able to tell by the sticker. You won't be able to tell by the VIN. There are VINs higher than mine that lack autopilot. You could go by the date that production of the vehicle started, but in order to find that out you'd have to ask the previous owner. In that case, you might as well ask if it has autopilot.

Seeing if it has the hardware is fairly easy, as has been described. Seeing if it's been implemented, aside from testing the features, you could try looking for Controls > Settings > Driver Assistance > Overtake Acceleration and see if that setting exists.

Mine has the autopilot hardware, the radar square box is a give away sign also there are extra sensors (small circles) on the sides towards the back. There is also a front facing camera on the rear view mirror. I took delivery on Sept 30th the first week the hardware was made. Check for the radar and extra sensors. It's easy to spot. Any car now with the new hardware should be at 6.2 level so the emergency brake option , speed assist etc will be listed if you have the front facing radar.

What is the VIN number prior to which no cars have the autopilot hardware? And what is the VIN number after which all cars have the autopilot hardware?

Or if we don't have that information, what is the last vin known to not have the hardware? And what's the earliest VIN number known to have the hardware.?

You can physically see the front mounted radar in the lower grill, the camera in the windshield (in the area of the mirror), and the extra parking sensors on the side corners of the bumpers. Pre-auto pilot cars will also have the older style shifter and turn signal levers.

What is the VIN number prior to which no cars have the autopilot hardware? And what is the VIN number after which all cars have the autopilot hardware?

Or if we don't have that information, what is the last vin known to not have the hardware? And what's the earliest VIN number known to have the hardware.?

I would be very careful with the vin numbers, I thought they were assigned in blocks. As many have said, it is easy to spot on the car itself.