Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want to change the default headlight position on/off.

smatthew

Jun 9, 2018
CA Bay Area
Not to be an a**, but why do you care if the lights turn on when you turn the car on?

Personally I love the fact that I don't have to worry about any of the settings in this car when driving. I basically never have to mess with the lights, wipers, climate, garage door opener when driving. The only thing I change on a regular basis is the radio station. The automation is one of my favorite things, and is one of the main things that I tell people about when they ask me what I like about my Tesla.
Exactly. Every car I've driven in the last 20 years has automatic headlights. On my 05 Chevy Silverado, I CANNOT permanently take it out of auto headlight mode. It functions exactly like a Tesla. I can tell it to turn the headlight on, or turn them off, but as soon as I turn the vehicle off it resets to auto mode. Perfection

And don't forget, everything about the car centers around AutoPilot. The car defaults to automatic lights because AutoPilot needs it. The wipers may seem like crud to some, but they provide perfect visibility to the AutoPilot cameras at the top of the windshield.

• Disagree
Reactions: Callawayc7

Msjulie

Jun 26, 2016
Monterey Bay Peninsula
Exactly.
And don't forget, everything about the car centers around AutoPilot. <snip> The wipers may seem like crud to some, but they provide perfect visibility to the AutoPilot cameras at the top of the windshield.

No argument on the premise but that suggests that if someone does not have autopilot, the wipers may indeed lack for human requirements and an alternative should be available.

Mostly they are ok for me, but they still suck big time in dusk/dawn situations where the rain is light and still have this odd tendency to go off in bright sun - guessing a bug or something splattered on the window. Queue dry wiper scrape sound - it's also always at highway speeds for some reason.

I know it would costs a few pennies more and a 3 is not an S but the S has a stalk to control wipers and still has auto pilot available. I'd pay for that upgrade :)

Sorry to OP for going back to wiper rant ;)

smatthew

Jun 9, 2018
CA Bay Area
No argument on the premise but that suggests that if someone does not have autopilot, the wipers may indeed lack for human requirements and an alternative should be available.

Mostly they are ok for me, but they still suck big time in dusk/dawn situations where the rain is light and still have this odd tendency to go off in bright sun - guessing a bug or something splattered on the window. Queue dry wiper scrape sound - it's also always at highway speeds for some reason.

I know it would costs a few pennies more and a 3 is not an S but the S has a stalk to control wipers and still has auto pilot available. I'd pay for that upgrade :)

Sorry to OP for going back to wiper rant ;)
Doesn't every car include basic autopilot?

camalaio

May 28, 2019
Vernon, BC, Canada
Not to be an a**, but why do you care if the lights turn on when you turn the car on?

Personally I love the fact that I don't have to worry about any of the settings in this car when driving. I basically never have to mess with the lights, wipers, climate, garage door opener when driving. The only thing I change on a regular basis is the radio station. The automation is one of my favorite things, and is one of the main things that I tell people about when they ask me what I like about my Tesla.

Here's a few reasonable places I constantly turn off the lights:
  • When I park and my wife goes in somewhere while I wait in the car. The darn lights don't need to be on, but they are, even though there's no indication that they are.
    • First-world problem: People wait in front of me thinking I'm about to pull out because my lights are on. Annoying and awkward for both parties.
    • Seems to require about 120W (very roughly)? Don't need to waste that, don't need the light.
  • As above, but parked waiting for a ferry or construction.
  • Drive-in theatres (yes, they still exist), with which the car has even more problems (it turns back on after 30 minutes if you don't touch the screen... why?)
  • I guess basically while parked, there's lots of reasons.
I liked the auto lights in my Honda, but I still could set them in any of Off/Auto/On myself, and keep that setting because it was a physical switch.

Doesn't every car include basic autopilot?

May have changed, but you can get a small discount if you ask to exclude AutoPilot. In hindsight I even wish I did this, personally (especially since I'm constantly reminded the beta systems are "not designed to operate" on the highways around me anyways). Saves a few bucks and standard cruise control is still available.

smatthew

Jun 9, 2018
CA Bay Area
Here's a few reasonable places I constantly turn off the lights:
  • When I park and my wife goes in somewhere while I wait in the car. The darn lights don't need to be on, but they are, even though there's no indication that they are.
    • First-world problem: People wait in front of me thinking I'm about to pull out because my lights are on. Annoying and awkward for both parties.
    • Seems to require about 120W (very roughly)? Don't need to waste that, don't need the light.
  • As above, but parked waiting for a ferry or construction.
  • Drive-in theatres (yes, they still exist), with which the car has even more problems (it turns back on after 30 minutes if you don't touch the screen... why?)
  • I guess basically while parked, there's lots of reasons.
I liked the auto lights in my Honda, but I still could set them in any of Off/Auto/On myself, and keep that setting because it was a physical switch.

May have changed, but you can get a small discount if you ask to exclude AutoPilot. In hindsight I even wish I did this, personally (especially since I'm constantly reminded the beta systems are "not designed to operate" on the highways around me anyways). Saves a few bucks and standard cruise control is still available.
If you're at a drive-in movie you should engage camp mode....... Exterior lights will not turn on if you enter/exit the car while in camp mode.

camalaio

May 28, 2019
Vernon, BC, Canada
If you're at a drive-in movie you should engage camp mode....... Exterior lights will not turn on if you enter/exit the car while in camp mode.

I haven't tried this yet, and Camp Mode didn't exist last time I went to a drive-in last year. The 30 minute timeout that turns lights back on is still bewildering behaviour, probably a mistake and not completely intentional.

smatthew

Jun 9, 2018
CA Bay Area
I haven't tried this yet, and Camp Mode didn't exist last time I went to a drive-in last year. The 30 minute timeout that turns lights back on is still bewildering behaviour, probably a mistake and not completely intentional.
It's that the awesome thing about these cars? Last year, no camp mode! Now there is! Seriously. What other car adds features AFTER you've bought it?

• Love
Reactions: Danny Brown

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
One solution to the headlight nanny would be to splice in some wires near the headlight plug, to some switches located in the console. That way, power to the headlights can be physically cut off, no matter what the computer wants to do.

• Disagree
Reactions: XLR82XS

smatthew

Jun 9, 2018
CA Bay Area
One solution to the headlight nanny would be to splice in some wires near the headlight plug, to some switches located in the console. That way, power to the headlights can be physically cut off, no matter what the computer wants to do.
Hilarious. I can only imagine a Tesla Model 3 with more switches than the space shuttle, and requires an instruction manual just as thick so drivers know what switch does what.

Danny Brown

Apr 13, 2019
Rocket City (Huntsville, AL)
The headlights on my new model Y default back to AUTO at the beginning of each drive (it is explained as normal function in the owner's manual). However, there are actually situations when drivers are forbidden to operate headlights at night (military bases, astronomy star parties), and need to be in full control of their headlights at all times. Therefore keeping the OFF setting as default is necessary for some drivers. I'm a newbie, and unable to find a mechanism to submit such feedback to Tesla engineers. How does one accomplish this?

If I remember correctly:
*OFF will still leave the Daytime Running Lights on a "Bright" setting.
*PARKING LIGHTS, however, will dim the DRL.

Parking Lights is your best bet for going through a military base check point.

• Informative
Reactions: Msjulie

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC