Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Want To Hire Someone to De-Noise my Model S Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon, don't take this personally, but I would think that after a full seven years of Model S production your team would have the ability to prevent creaks, rattles, and other unwanted noises, no?
I don't think they are capable of building a rattle free Model S, you'd expect the first few years of production to be a bit noisy as it was a brand new car but 7 years on the interior clips and fitments should have been 100% sorted by now. I tend to think they probably haven't changed the process or tried to cure it one bit.
I also think it is shocking that Tesla cars costing as much as they do have more rattles and problems than a cheap A to B car from Asia.

I don't think they are capable of building a rattle free Model S, you'd expect the first few years of production to be a bit noisy as it was a brand new car but 7 years on the interior clips and fitments should have been 100% sorted by now. I tend to think they probably haven't changed the process or tried to cure it one bit.
I also think it is shocking that Tesla cars costing as much as they do have more rattles and problems than a cheap A to B car from Asia.

Exactly!

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Well, in a free market you CAN indeed purchase a slower, smaller, EV with far less range, for about twice the money, and for which all sales help subsidize the sales of some of the most polluting vehicles on the planet--have at it.

Your the person that has to look at evil in the mirror every day, but surely you'll come up with some excuse to validate such remarkably poor choices.

It is interesting that your experience (assuming you have actually owned a Tesla, for real?) is in such stark contrast to the many hundreds of thousands of other Tesla owners' experiences, to include us who have owned some seven Model S's so far, some used, most new:

Tesla Model 3 = Most Loved Car In USA — New Consumer Reports Owner Survey | CleanTechnica

And, prior to the Model 3, the Model S held the top ranking . . . .
From your very link: "...Naturally, there are potential issues with surveys like this. For example, if owners put a lot of money and emotion into a car, they may be more inclined to say they’re satisfied with it."

This very site is a perfect example of that, constant attacks of people complaining about valid and well-known quality and customer service issues, by people just like yourself who's only response is "then sell it". Remember, it was Musk that stated they would close SCs and lay off staff, then had to do an about face. Now there is word that owners are not to even speak with people at SCs, simply drop off the keys and wait. What's ironic is that you keep harping on Benz, who I just told you are now moving to 100% EVs, and yet you have no problem with Musk powering all of his rockets with dirty emissions:

Falcon Heavy: SpaceX stages an amazing launch – but what about the environmental impact?

Remember, it was Musk that stated they would close SCs and lay off staff, then had to do an about face. Now there is word that owners are not to even speak with people at SCs, simply drop off the keys and wait.
I think he was talking about closing showrooms and having people only order online without siting in the vehicle or test driving it. It wasn’t about service centers.

I have an extremely annoying creak coming from my driver sunvisor area. My local SC has attempted to fix it 4 times and a ranger once. The best they've done is to fix it for a week or two before it returns. Initially they didn't hesitate to fix rattles at all but the past couple times the estimate they send shows a charge for rattle diagnosis but the actual invoices I've received don't have any charge. My car is less than 1 year old.

The creak got much louder once it got cold. It's extremely annoying. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like anyone knows any professionals who can fix these issues. I'd pay t have this creak fixed, I even told the SC if they want to charge me for the rattle fix then they must guarantee they'll fix it.

• Love
Reactions: llirk and DCEV
There are many windows of time where Tesla did build the majority of their Model S's very noise free.. Most of the 2018 builds only suffered from the gushing/wind noise at 55pmh+ which never really had a fix. My June of 2018 build has no interior creeks or cracks, I have had a few loaners and all the 2019 loaners I've driven had a bunch of noises from the dash and some I couldnt even tell.

Back in 2018, I was talking to many who took delivery around my time and even after and there were no issues with noises then. What happened Tesla? I thought you would have it down by now!

Unfortunately, within the past year, Tesla changed their warranty wording to specifically take them off the hook from having to deal with noises, vibrations, creaks, rattles, etc. Instead of building their cars with more care, they basically told the customers they don't care. I even offered to privately hire the Tesla mechanic who removed all the noises from my previous Model S, but was told that Tesla forbids their mechanics from working on the outside. Anyway, here is the wording from the Feb 2019 Tesla Model S Warranty...
View attachment 476122

Normal noises. Rattles due to loose panels etc are not "normal" noises.

Found out two related items to this from a Tesla Tech who went on a ride with me during my service appointment last week regarding noises and a service bulletin:

I told him my back door interior panel was rattling. He pushed on the top and "popped" it back in. It turns out that if you use the windows to open/close your doors, they can exert pressure on the panel and pop it off at the top. Sure enough, it fixed it. I checked the other 3, and the passenger's side front door had the same problem. A firm push at the top popped it back in, so I'd suggest everyone check that first.

The service bulletin was in regard to a shimmy in the front when you accelerate. Turns out it's mostly Model X's that have the problem, and he said you'll know since it'll rattle your fillings out.

Hope this helps!

There are many windows of time where Tesla did build the majority of their Model S's very noise free.. Most of the 2018 builds only suffered from the gushing/wind noise at 55pmh+ which never really had a fix. My June of 2018 build has no interior creeks or cracks, I have had a few loaners and all the 2019 loaners I've driven had a bunch of noises from the dash and some I couldnt even tell.

Back in 2018, I was talking to many who took delivery around my time and even after and there were no issues with noises then. What happened Tesla? I thought you would have it down by now!

I recently drove two 2018 75Ds. They were both horrible. Rattles from glass roof, center console, seats, vents.

Found out two related items to this from a Tesla Tech who went on a ride with me during my service appointment last week regarding noises and a service bulletin:

I told him my back door interior panel was rattling. He pushed on the top and "popped" it back in. It turns out that if you use the windows to open/close your doors, they can exert pressure on the panel and pop it off at the top. Sure enough, it fixed it. I checked the other 3, and the passenger's side front door had the same problem. A firm push at the top popped it back in, so I'd suggest everyone check that first.

The service bulletin was in regard to a shimmy in the front when you accelerate. Turns out it's mostly Model X's that have the problem, and he said you'll know since it'll rattle your fillings out.

Hope this helps!

If your clips are loose then those panels can likely just start popping out whenever you shut the door hard. After I had my door handle serviced my driver door panel would pop out a little whenever I closed it hard. Tesla replaced the clips which hold the panel to the door to fix the issue. Watch to see if they pop out again, if they do you'll need to ask for new clips.

My September 2018 car creaks pretty bad unfortunately. Going in for the 6th repair attempt next month.

If your clips are loose then those panels can likely just start popping out whenever you shut the door hard. After I had my door handle serviced my driver door panel would pop out a little whenever I closed it hard. Tesla replaced the clips which hold the panel to the door to fix the issue. Watch to see if they pop out again, if they do you'll need to ask for new clips.

Thanks. Yeah, they replaced the door handle, and checked the others, so all 4 were off. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks again!!!

Or if they don't put a clip back in correctly as happened on my last visit. I popped the panel off and put the clip back in properly.

I have an extremely annoying creak coming from my driver sunvisor area. My local SC has attempted to fix it 4 times and a ranger once. The best they've done is to fix it for a week or two before it returns. Initially they didn't hesitate to fix rattles at all but the past couple times the estimate they send shows a charge for rattle diagnosis but the actual invoices I've received don't have any charge. My car is less than 1 year old.

The creak got much louder once it got cold. It's extremely annoying. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like anyone knows any professionals who can fix these issues. I'd pay t have this creak fixed, I even told the SC if they want to charge me for the rattle fix then they must guarantee they'll fix it.

I have the exact same issue. 10/18 build, less than 5000k miles on it and it is louder now that it’s colder. Please keep us posted if they ever solve this creak!

I have the exact same issue. 10/18 build, less than 5000k miles on it and it is louder now that it’s colder. Please keep us posted if they ever solve this creak!

Interesting that our cars were built very close to each other too (9/18 build on mine). Very similar build too, including sunroof.
Honestly after this attempt if it's not fixed I'm going to send them a lemon law buyback letter. I'm not totally sure something like this would qualify as it's supposed to decrease resale value for it to qualify, but I know I would've definitely not purchased this car if I knew it had an unfixable creak and would've waited for another unit. Either way, hopefully it will make them take the issue more seriously. Better yet hopefully this next attempt just fixes it, I'm leaving the car at the SC for a week while I'm on vacation and hope to have a quiet car when I get back.

Forgot to update this. Got my car back a little over a week ago. They've 99% fixed the creak I was complaining about, although now I'm hearing some in other places. Not sure if they're new or if they're just now audible because the louder one is gone. They said that the headliner was contacting the windshield and they adjusted it. So far it's held, but there are still other creaks. Still deciding if I can live with them or not.

I would be most concerned about how it is handled in reality rather than the wording.

Trust me, as owners of some six or seven MS's since 2013, things HAVE changed at the SC . . . .

The reason they've changed the wording is that Tesla's build quality isn't up to snuff and they're shipping too much "stuff" that isn't up to par.

ELON: A BRAND NEW TESLA SHOULD NOT RATTLE! (Especially on a car that's been in production since 2012 for Pete's sake!)

I wonder if anyone has the warranty wording on this issue from BMW, MBZ, or Audi handy?

MB is putting our planet at-risk? Ever hear of a place called China? How about India? How about the factories Musk is constructing to make....lithium batteries? Looks like you'll be giving up that Tesla pronto, along with your iPhone, A/C and whatever it is you pilot, since it is actually YOU who puts our planet at-risk.....

Yep, moving to an off-grid yurt tomorrow . . . not.

Here's a tip: rather than suggest the extremely unlikely, if not impossible to accomplish, why not REALLY move the needle in your personal life instead, and encourage others to do the same? It's really simple:

1. Get a massive amount of solar panels on your roof.
2. Buy EV's only (preferably from Tesla as other brands just use them to sell more gas-guzzlers).
3. Stop eating animal flesh (see below).

See--all the benefits of a modern life, and NO off-gird yurt!

COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

Reactions: Knightowl