Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want to import a 2021 Tesla Model 3 purchased in France to the United States

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to import a 2021 Tesla Model 3 that I purchased in France to the United States. Has anyone any experience converting a European Tesla to US standards? Are there any issues with the conversion or with using the car in the US afterward? Please let me know your experience.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
...France to the United States...
It might be too much trouble unless Tesla Service Center is willing to do the conversion for you (for a price of course).

I am not sure whether they would be interested in the conversion challenge at any price.

You need US navigation, cellular sim, 120/240 VAC US changing system, US Supercharger system, CCS1 (France is CCS2)...

Reactions: cwerdna
Upvote 0
It might be too much trouble unless Tesla Service Center is willing to do the conversion for you (for a price of course).

I am not sure whether they would be interested in the conversion challenge at any price.

You need US navigation, cellular sim, 120/240 VAC US changing system, US Supercharger system, CCS1 (France is CCS2)...
Isn't there also a 25 year rule?
https://www.cashforcars.com/blog/usa-25-year-import-rule-cars-that-turn-25-in-2020/

The Tesla wouldn't have to meet EPA standards, but not sure if a Euro market Tesla would meet all federal vehicle standards.

Upvote 0

Actually the only two issues here is the sim and the charging port - neither of which are compliance related, and both should be component replacement.

The rest of it is all localization software. Navigating the conversion and compliance would be interesting, and I suspect easier than most other vehicles - and cheaper, but probably still more of an expense than trading.

Upvote 0
Actually the only two issues here is the sim and the charging port - neither of which are compliance related, and both should be component replacement.

The rest of it is all localization software. Navigating the conversion and compliance would be interesting, and I suspect easier than most other vehicles - and cheaper, but probably still more of an expense than trading.

You might think so (that it would be easier to navigate), but other people who have taken teslas outside of their "sold to" territory report otherwise. Updating the SIM card does not enable any of the navigation features etc, tesla doesnt replace charge ports if thats needed, etc.

So, Nothing that requires a connection works properly (pretty sure that includes AP / FSD etc). Tesla will not help to fix it either, at least per other reports here.

Upvote 0
There may be other hardware differences that matter for regulatory compliance. Some examples:
  • Some non-US taillamps had the middle bar split between an amber turn signal and red brake lamp, but each section may be too small to meet US regulations. (This is shown in
    )
  • Convex driver's side mirrors may not meet US regulations.
  • License plate attachment differs due to different size license plates. For older radar-equipped cars, be sure that any different size front license plate does not block the radar.

Upvote 0
All of that is relatively easily and cheaply fixable.

In any case, the biggest issue will the bureaucracy involved. Not impossible, but certainly a pain in the ass. NHTSA's website has some info Importing a Vehicle | NHTSA
You would have to define what you mean by "relatively easily and cheaply fixable". From your link, non conforming vehicles not on the list (and not subject to 25 year exemption) would need to have the vehicle conformed by a registered importer. Note the comment above you is not meant to be comprehensive list, it's just some examples (there may be far more other issues). Even after this is done, as others mentioned, you still have to deal with other issues not related to certification.

I think OP is asking for people with direct experience with importing one.

Upvote 0
You would have to define what you mean by "relatively easily and cheaply fixable". From your link, non conforming vehicles not on the list (and not subject to 25 year exemption) would need to have the vehicle conformed by a registered importer. Note the comment above you is not meant to be comprehensive list, it's just some examples (there may be far more other issues). Even after this is done, as others mentioned, you still have to deal with other issues not related to certification.

I think OP is asking for people with direct experience with importing one.
I meant the actual hardware components are cheap / fixable. Mirrors, lights, license plate attachments are very minor compared to what most cars need to be imported. As far as I’m aware, Tesla doesn’t really make any changes to the crash structure, interior trim etc world wide.

I agree the red tape is the bigger issue. I think it’d be doable if you can get an importer to play ball, but then even after it is successfully imported, converting the power connectors, converting 3 phase to single phase, and getting a US sim / nav will be difficult at best.

Upvote 0
I have imported cars both directions. Its not as big of a deal as most would think.
Roll on Roll off (RORO) is not that bad $500-$1500. There is no EPA stuff and if the car was
made in the US should be rather simple. I would find an importer and ask what it would cost.
It used to run about $2000-$3000. The DOT documents are rather simple, they just take pics
of the window marks, seatbelts etc.

Time to ship is about 4-5 weeks depending how you get in the line.
DOT documents can take months.

No idea how much to do the few mods needed.
Its a rather fun process, just about the cost.

Upvote 0
One would assume that the OP really likes the car, so much so, that they would consider spending the time and money (and incurring the potential headaches) it takes to import it here.

@NeveJAS Perhaps this list could be a start for you to investigate the matter:

Note the Business Interests field. You should probably concentrate on those having "2" (Modify vehicles imported from other countries) and "3" (Modify passenger cars) indicated.

Upvote 0
I have imported cars both directions. Its not as big of a deal as most would think.
Roll on Roll off (RORO) is not that bad $500-$1500. There is no EPA stuff and if the car was
made in the US should be rather simple. I would find an importer and ask what it would cost.
It used to run about $2000-$3000. The DOT documents are rather simple, they just take pics
of the window marks, seatbelts etc.

Time to ship is about 4-5 weeks depending how you get in the line.
DOT documents can take months.

No idea how much to do the few mods needed.
Its a rather fun process, just about the cost.

Cheers on your first sober post!

😜

Upvote 0