Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want to let my friend drive but not affect my safety score. How?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Opting out and back in will reset your score thought right? At least it used to.

Before I got in a long time I tried for months. There was always something that liked the score.

So eventually I just ignored it until days before the 💯 rollout. Then I would reset the car if the drive didn’t seem good. I would rack up miles in the middle of the night. Then when the next 💯 rollout hit I got in with 99.57. Been running beta ever since.

Getting into beta has been really hard for people for quite some time now though.

Personally I'd opt out before the friend drives, and then opt back in after the friends drive.

Friends > beta

Plus you probably won't get into the beta program anytime soon. It's going to be torture trying to keep that score for months.
After 2 months driving my Plaid like a Prius, I’m not sacrificing my 99 score for any friend.

Beta > Friends

Does not work anymore after few updates ago.
Sorry to hear about that, since it is really the only fix for FCW. After my spouse would come home after a safe, normal, drive I'd take the car out and "fix" the hard braking by driving a loop around our neighborhood and repeatedly accelerating to 30mph and letting regen bring the car to nearly a stop (yeh, I got some strange looks). "hard turn" fix was tricky and involved driving in a tight circle in large parking lot (talk about strange looks...) It was misery for 2 weeks, and more than once spouse threatened to ruin my score so we could go back to enjoying the car.

Reactions: nvx1977
Most people miss what the safety score is for and its relationship to FSD beta.
It is part of the Tesla Insurance program, so they don't care who's driving, they care about how the car is driven in total.
Most importantly is when your car gets the FSD beta it is available to anyone who drives the car.

As a side note. Tesla Insurance bases it pricing on the safety score, so a friend driving your car who treats it like a racecar will boost what you pay next month :D

Id like to let my friend drive my car. But he's a terrible driver.

How does one let someone else drive but not affect your safety score?
Your best bet is to do it on a day when you don't need to drive anywhere, and only let your friend drive a few miles. Because SS is calculated by mileage-weighting each day's score, you'll do minimal damage with only a few miles on a given day.