Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want to sue Tesla..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@DarkKnight83

You have had two issues with the car so far.

1) Didn't charge when plugged in
2) GPS froze

Slow turnaround time for fixing damage caused by an accident happens everywhere, you cannot avoid that. Despite some issues, Tesla did offer to replace the door.

All Model X owners have gone through this issue in some form or another. I myself had to take the car in 7 times in 2 months. But after these issues were addressed, I haven't gone in for anything else apart from service. That is close to 25 months and 58,000 miles.

I ask you to be a little patient and trust the car. Your issues are very very minor software issues that will be fixed.

The FSD Visualization preview stopped working

I had this same thing happen.

In my case all I had to do was to flip it off, and then flip it back on. Why it suddenly stopped working I don't know. It was working fine until I did an update, and then turned off the Traffic Light detection/stopping. I only noticed it wasn't working when some pedestrians were walking in front of my car, and the new pedestrian animation wasn't showing them.

I've also had my fair share of Software glitches, but they've always been solvable doing a reboot. Now keep in mind that the Model S/X have two computers where they are done differently. I really wish the SW GUI simply had a "reboot everything" function to make life easier for owners. Sometimes its so bizarre that all you have to do to fix some problems is exit the car completely, and then get back in.

The most worrisome aspect of your issues to me was the charger. It would really piss me off if I was left stranded somewhere because the charge port wasn't working. Especially if it suddenly started working on a different day without any explanation as to what caused the issue.

With any vehicle that gets regular SW updates I would expected glitches to occur occasionally. That's just the nature of updates. Even really solid companies run into unforeseen glitches due to SW updates. If you want a super stable vehicle that never has SW glitches then I don't think any kind of Tesla is the right car for you. For me the SW updates are one of the coolest things about owning the vehicle.

As to FSD it's a pile of crap until it stops being a pile of crap. I don't know if that will ever happen. So I'd have really low expectations with that one. I have no doubt that Tesla will get sued a bunch of times due to FSD, but I won't sue them. I was never one of the people that expected to ever achieve FSD, but I did think it would better than it is.

My .02$, picked up my 2016 on 3/29/20, there were a few minor issues, mobile service came out twice. The experience was awesome. Kindness goes a long way too. If someone is rude to customer service, guess what, back of the line, thats just how that works, be it something cheap or a $100k car.
Does u kindness fix ur car if ur stranded in middle of a vacation with ur wife and infant?

Stop victim blaming. Irrespective of what they ll only provide the service they have. No way they are gonna rectify their mistakes and improve with ur kindness. If u think u can, please provide examples.

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric
All Model X owners have gone through this issue in some form or another. I myself had to take the car in 7 times in 2 months. But after these issues were addressed, I haven't gone in for anything else apart from service. That is close to 25 months and 58,000 miles.
Just because u took the crap, I shouldnt have to.
Both incidents happened when I was out with my family and the whole experience went south.

I ask you to be a little patient and trust the car. Your issues are very very minor software issues that will be fixed.
That’s what I am taking about. But both ruined my weekend with my family. This could be easily avoided if they had a virtual support team on the weekends and fix frequently occurring problems remotely. That’s what I am asking for. But they don’t, even if it is an easy thing. The way the service people talk is irritating. Though I told my concern, all they say is the same thing again and again. I want them to change the process. This is doable. That’s why I call it willfull negligence.

• Disagree
Reactions: CreamSoduh
Reading through the post.

Each time you register an appointment with Tesla, you would have been required to state your problem. Tesla would provide an estimate (even if it is warranty repair) that you need to authorize and when all is done, you will get a completed statement of work receipt.

The receipt should have addressed all of your original concerns.

I used the Sunnvale SC as well so this has been the protocol in-place for a long time. This mitigates any discrepancies between what you thought they were doing versus what was done. And there is a paper trail.

If you feel like the paper trail support a lawsuit, then that is the way it should go...

So if I’m reading this right, you had 3 “issues”:

1) Charging port issue which was resolved. This is a fair complaint but was fixed promptly.
2) FSD display stopped showing traffic cones. It’s beta software. No impact to driving whatsoever.
3) You smashed the car into something.

Everything else - whistling, door bent etc - are all because of #3. It’s not a warranty issue, it’s not a factory issue, it’s not a quality issue except for the driver’s inability to avoid hitting something. Unfortunately, accidents happen - but that sure doesn’t make the damage a quality control problem!

The only “real” issue I see here was solved within a day.

Sorry to say, I think a lawsuit wouldn’t go your way.

Seems like the X has lesser issues than when it first came out in 2015/16?, and since I took delivery in late 2018. For anyone who care to search and look back to my 2018-2019 posts, you will see that I barely had my car with me because it sat in the Tesla shop for months to fix the issues it came with from the factory. In the end, they did a crappy job.

I learned to live with the aesthetic imperfections, but the biggest issue I still have is that there is something not right with my battery pack as I consistently get low mileage despite being an extremely conservative driver.

Despite all this, I love my MX and there is nothing out there that comes close (well, maybe the Y due to newer tech if you are in the market for an SUV). Tesla SC used to be great, sadly it's deteriorated rapidly to what it is today and was to be expected with a massive increase in sales post M3 release. Still, I wouldn't sue them though unless you received a total lemon and they did not offer to do anything about it.

So if I’m reading this right, you had 3 “issues”:

1) Charging port issue which was resolved. This is a fair complaint but was fixed promptly.
2) FSD display stopped showing traffic cones. It’s beta software. No impact to driving whatsoever.
3) You smashed the car into something.

Everything else - whistling, door bent etc - are all because of #3. It’s not a warranty issue, it’s not a factory issue, it’s not a quality issue except for the driver’s inability to avoid hitting something. Unfortunately, accidents happen - but that sure doesn’t make the damage a quality control problem!

The only “real” issue I see here was solved within a day.

Sorry to say, I think a lawsuit wouldn’t go your way.

Both incidents happened on a weekend and ruined my weekend with my family. This clearly states that I can't plan a vacation with this car. I don't care if they fix it on a Monday or not. These are technically possible to fix it over internet immediately on a weekend. Every other company does this for a long time. This is called willful negligence. That is a cause for suing.

Poor service for damaged car is covered by lemon law. Just for uneducated people like you to know.

I paid $10000 for the FSD. If a drivable car with 4 wheels is all that they promise, they should be charging a premium for that, a $20000 car will do that job. Its not even about what the FSD does. It wouldn't even run. That's not called beta. U don't understand many things about software engineering, I guess. The last 10%, monitoring, alerts, CSR tools are what differentiates shiny objects from production ready features. Any moron can do shiny objects. Since I have a lot of exposure, I don't fall for shiny objects. Read this I was laid off from Uber — Here’s what I learned

High premium for a non production ready car is fraud, not innovation. I am software engineer and I know all these issues could be easily fixed by a CSR over internet.

When ever I release a feature, I work with CSR to understand what calls they get. I come up with what CSR would need to resolve issues that comes with my feature and provide those tools to them, train them, setup monitoring and alerting. Only then I release my product. The mere fact that only thing their customer support team has is to ask customers to restart the car, is a JOKE. A 16 year old company that pays their CEO $700 million SHOULD have a way better CSR team and tools. I CAN'T sacrifice my vacation with my family to beta test they car and fund Elon Musks million dollar mansions and flings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please take this for what it’s worth.

It’s much easier said than done when it comes to lawsuit.
I know for a fact since I am in the middle of it.

Having said that, I think the thing to do is to consult an attorney, if you feel strongly about your situation, and see what he/she thinks.

Good luck.

Non cult member here...

"These are technically possible to fix it over internet immediately on a weekend. Every other company does this for a long time."
- What other car company can fix your car over the internet (period), much less on a weekend?
- Because it's technically possible doesn't mean they have too - they have their chosen business model for a reason, and while I agree it's possible and would be nice, it's their choice and our only vote is via purchase or not - for me it didn't dissuade me from a purchase.

My wife's BMW x5 has been waiting for a seat part replacement for 4 months and counting, dealer is 3 blocks away and have horrible service in every instance we've been there - to the point my wife said she'd never get a BMW again (she's had 3 previously). Also, they did do an OTA update (and bricked a lot of the car, it's a 2020 so OTA is in infancy, not listed as beta though) so all companies have challenges.

From my count you lost one weekend with the family (charging issue) - get over it, stuff happens...there's 52 weekends a year, we all lose a few for a variety or reasons....I cut my memorial Day trip short due to weather...have had a 6 month old Toyota Sequoia eat the transmission going over the grapevine in LA, etc....

Elon's income has nothing to do with this - did you historically blame bill g when windows had a bug or crashed or you got crappy support from MS?

I get your upset and that sucks, but personally I wouldn't be near as upset as you, nor would I consider a lawsuit...but you do you and sue away, it's your right! Also, regardless of outcome, sell the car, your obviously not happy with it...I'd stay away from BMW, I'd hate to see your reaction if you went through what my wife did for her first few months of ownership. I've never had an issue with Audi (owned 2), maybe go look at a nice q7, ours was flawless for the 3 years we had it!

Good luck, be cool, life is too short!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.