Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wanted to avoid posting this - windshield issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no such thing as not having a fix. Tesla did not make the glass they are not supposed to fix this, they need to get a supplier in germany or italy to do a proper glass. Like I said, i was in a Uber the other day on a Jeep Compass that had very bad ghosting. Its just crap glass. Its a matter of having someone do a proper glass. Period
What an arrogant comment...

In recent news the "super duper" engineers of Germany have been faking emission of their diesel engines.... maybe they can figure out a way to fake a "high quality" windshield as well!

Some windshields have the ghosting issue, most don't. Just as it is/was with Tesla refining the manufacture process of the Model S and X, the windshield manufacturer in Peru will refine the manufacture process of the windshield so that 99.9+% of the windshields are without the defect.
Peru is full of great engineers that are more then capable of getting this done.

What an arrogant comment...

In recent news the "super duper" engineers of Germany have been faking emission of their diesel engines.... maybe they can figure out a way to fake a "high quality" windshield as well!

Some windshields have the ghosting issue, most don't. Just as it is/was with Tesla refining the manufacture process of the Model S and X, the windshield manufacturer in Peru will refine the manufacture process of the windshield so that 99.9+% of the windshields are without the defect.
Peru is full of great engineers that are more then capable of getting this done.

Zero arrogance. Its like buying a mechanical watch. The swiss go it down, you wont buy one for 10 grand made in portugal now would you? This is glass. Glass is being made for hundreds of years, you have companys like weiss etc. Making a huge glass like that is really hard. Hire the experts is what im saying that is all.

Hire the experts is what im saying that is all.

I thought that way too, but then I realized that Tesla wasn't an auto expert, just a startup, in the auto industry. So why should they not try the same with their suppliers?

We have had no problem dumping $100K on a car that was not being made by a company that existed for hundreds of years. Why should you feel different about the company's philosophy with sourcing from and encouraging other newbies, with their outside the box thinking.

I thought that way too, but then I realized that Tesla wasn't an auto expert, just a startup, in the auto industry. So why should they not try the same with their suppliers?

We have had no problem dumping $100K on a car that was not being made by a company that existed for hundreds of years. Why should you feel different about the company's philosophy with sourcing from and encouraging other newbies, with their outside the box thinking.

i get this believe me. I also understand that they probably went with them for many good reasons but, The windshield is EXTREMELY important to safety. You dont experiment with this. You dont venture out to a new place for a fun cool new feature! and dont get me wrong, i LOVE the windshield during the day. I want Tesla to tell me, Electricity the supplier told us to wait 3 years and we will get you a perfect windshield, then i would say fine! I love the car so much during the day i will avoid driving at night. Cool. But to tell me after weeks , to tell me "we dont know, some people have it others dont, we will let u know when we find a solution" is super uncool.

• Helpful
Reactions: mmd

Adding that maybe none of *the* windshield makers would even attempt to make the X windshield, or maybe the 1 or 2 who said they'd do it were going to charge exorbitant amonts of money, or, or, or. Always super easy to criticize a decision when you have no idea the details.

I want Tesla to tell me, Electricity the supplier told us to wait 3 years and we will get you a perfect windshield, then i would say fine! I love the car so much during the day i will avoid driving at night. Cool. But to tell me after weeks , to tell me "we dont know, some people have it others dont, we will let u know when we find a solution" is super uncool.

Yeah, not buying that even a little. Makes no sense for someone to think it would be cool if given a 3 year time frame vs it being uncool to be given a truthful current answer.

Tesla wasn't an auto expert and they have been given huge slack because of that... Have you ever owned a Roadster? I have and can tell you, they are AWESOME! BUT... Full of issues that a mature automaker just wouldn't have (go to Roadster forums and explore if you need examples)... I'm now driving a Model S and although I, again, love it and think it is awesome, but go sit in a Mercedes S class sedan at a Mercedes showroom... The attention to details is exquisite and demonstrable of what a $70-150K sedan looks like from a mature automaker...

I don't say these things to knock TESLA, I LOVE the vehicles and would choose them 100% of the time over anything else on the road presently!!! (that's why I drive one) But I do say this to bring light to the concept that electricity alluded to: In industries there are experts and there are startups... The experts are the ones where we expect a nearly perfect product and would never accept anything less, the startups are the ones we forgive for mistakes as long as we believe what they are doing is innovative... If you want something that has already been done and you want it done right... Go to the EXPERTS!!!

Having said this, I think what they really need to do is find the company responsible for the windshields in the Jetson's family hauler, they seem to know what they are doing in the world of "large curved windscreens"...

22a6bb3543a28cd162bceb3c6937b684.jpg

Adding that maybe none of *the* windshield makers would even attempt to make the X windshield, or maybe the 1 or 2 who said they'd do it were going to charge exorbitant amonts of money, or, or, or. Always super easy to criticize a decision when you have no idea the details.

Just maybe those experienced windshield makers knew there could be serious ghosting or other quality issues and didn't want to do it or needed exorbitant amounts of money to deal with a low yield of quality production.

Maybe that guy Hubris, who Tesla blamed some issues on, decided not to listen and go with the company that was willing to do it rather than listen to the feedback from the market.

Just maybe those experienced windshield makers knew there could be serious ghosting or other quality issues and didn't want to do it or needed exorbitant amounts of money to deal with a low yield of quality production.

Maybe that guy Hubris, who Tesla blamed some issues on, decided not to listen and go with the company that was willing to do it rather than listen to the feedback from the market.

Maybe. Maybe not. But thanks for reinforcing my point. Maybe now the op can be cool with the, 'we don't currently know or have a solution to your problem, but when we do we'll let you know'. Maybe it'll take 3 years for the Peruvians to figure it out. :)

Reactions: electricity
@Chickenlittle, this is a real problem that varies in intensity from windshield to windshield. Too many people have reported this issue, for it to be dismissed. In some vehicles, it literally feels like the sky is falling.
Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and giving a way to pursue this issue. "It literally feels like the sky is falling"...
- is my line
- is too crazy to pursue

I have the same problem with double vision at night. If enough of us report the problem to NHTSA, (since this is a safety issue) Tesla might fix it real fast.

Why have people not reported a safety issue to the NHTSA that the company allegedly has no response to?
Are people waiting for it to not be a safety issue, for a response, or for a safety issue to actually occur?

If this were GM or Toyota, I expect that people would report an unresolved safety issue.

Better safety strengthens, not weakens, the company and the brand.

Why have people not reported a safety issue to the NHTSA that the company allegedly has no response to?
Are people waiting for it to not be a safety issue, for a response, or for a safety issue to actually occur?

If this were GM or Toyota, I expect that people would report an unresolved safety issue.

Better safety strengthens, not weakens, the company and the brand.

Oh please shut up nobody is calling the nhtsa, Tesla will solve this im just frustrated on the communication.

• Disagree
Reactions: KZKZ and NikeWings
I have the same problem with double vision at night. If enough of us report the problem to NHTSA, (since this is a safety issue) Tesla might fix it real fast.
I appreciate that you consider this a safety issue. I hope that you appreciate that not everyone is in agreement with you. This issue has existed with other manufacturers for years, and NHTSA doesn't appear to have been involved.

Thats not to say that Tesla isn't treating this issue seriously. I'm sure they're investigating this right now with their supplier. But until they have a root cause and a solution, I can't imagine them updating anyone with a statement such as "we don't have anything for you yet".

Maybe. Maybe not. But thanks for reinforcing my point. Maybe now the op can be cool with the, 'we don't currently know or have a solution to your problem, but when we do we'll let you know'. Maybe it'll take 3 years for the Peruvians to figure it out. :)

I just want Tesla to tell me, "the Peruvians are on it, they estimate 5 years to learn how to make glass but they are on it" that is all im asking for. I will still think the model x is the best car on the planet and wait. Im serious. My issue right now is that Indont know if they are working on it or they take this problem seriously since not many of us are complaining.

Last edited:
Test drove the X in Scottsdale. What a great car.

I was "looking" for the issue when I started the drive. I didn't see it during the middle of the day when I was on my drive. (Side note, the glass actually did a wonderful job keeping my shaded during the Phoenix sun---excellent surprise)

Anyway, the car was great. Drive was great.
At this point, I forgot about ghosting and stopped looking for it.

When we pulled back into the parking garage where it was dark, I could immediately see the other cars headlights appearing in duplicates. I had forgotten to look for it, but the issue was so bad that it just jumped out at me.

I hope they can fix it!! Car was awesome

Reactions: electricity
In all seriousness though.. I highly doubt that if they went to one of the glass makers that make glass for Porsche or Ferrari, they would turn a bad product like this one. Nothing against Peru, its just that i never heard of them as glass makers.

This is not unique to Tesla - Toyota's have the same issue. Would you prefer glass w/o "ghosting" and UV/heat rejection?

"Just got brought a used 2013 Prius and was scoring the internet for a solution. I have this same problem. Called Toyota local dealer they said they have had no complaints...Why are prius users so scared to make complaints?"

"I bought a Toyota Rav4 2015. I experience similar issue the moment I took the vehicle out of the dealership.. when I reached home, I immediately texted the sales guy about this issue but he asked me to check again.. I checked the very next day and told him the same, I brought the vehicle to the service for the evaluation but they claim that they are unable to duplicate the issue what I'm experiencing.. it's annoying and depressed on this. it's a brand new vehicle not even drive 110mi."

Last edited:
I had posted I think in the original ghosting thread...

But to me this is an individual issue. We're making it a big deal here because of the car price and our expectations from Tesla. As people have mentioned, other cars have this issue. I think looking for it makes it worse.

Not that I'm trying to downplay the issue at all - my X has it and it only started bothering me after I read about it - cannot unsee. I've pointed it out to many passengers, all who notice it after I've pointed it out, but would not have seen it otherwise. One of my "car guy" friends says he sees this on a lot of cars (and he drives high end cars).

As for a solution, I offer up front windshield tinting. I got mine tinted with 75% Photosync and it has significantly reduced the double vision thing. The double imaging is still present, but the ghost is markedly reduced. I don't know whether this is specific to Photosync, or whether any light tint might serve to reduce the ghosting. I got the tint not for the glare, but to reduce heat transmission through the windshield.