Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I was offered a damaged Model S without telling me about it

Hey,

Last week I was looking for a good deal on an inventory Model 3 AWD and was contacted by a Tesla sales person who then send me a link for a nice midnight silver, silver rims, black & white interior Model 3 from end of 2018 with 6600$ off. It was listed as new and only has 62 miles on it. The only explanation given was that it was a cancelled order. I assumed it was probably used as a showroom car afterwards and the price sounded good for this.

I placed the order since I expected that car to go fast and started filling out all the paperwork, with the delivery expected next week. Yesterday I contacted the store where the car currently is located and they told me that car had damage but couldn’t tell me exactly what was wrong with it. I drove to the store since it’s only 30 minutes away from my place to check it out myself.

I very much had the impression that in the meantime the super nice sales representative had a word with his manager. When I came in, suddenly the story was very different. It had damage but that had been repaired and the price would be a super great deal. I shouldn’t worry too much about it. Everything would be fine. They still couldn’t tell me what the damage was.

If I hadn’t called them, I may or may not have been disclosed on the issue during delivery when asked to sign a damage disclosure. But I can’t help but feel like Tesla is trying to trick me in to buying a car that might have been in a serious accident.

Did something like this happen to someone else?

—Michael
I had a similar situation. I purchased a model S plaid and was told there needed to be a repair with the trunk but it was nothing major. I even asked for assurance there isn't any sort of accident or issues with title or carfax report. Was told "no not at all it's a new car that just needed an adjustment from the factory" Four months later I ran a carfax which shows an accident before I even took delivery. They are trying to claim I signed a damage disclosure so they are covered. Yet no such disclosure can be provided with my signature...

Reactions: morbidz

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC