Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I was skeptical...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess Tesla's reluctance to provide owners with logs adds an air of suspicion. I think more openness might help them.
I think that's over-simplifying it. I'm sure there are a lot of people that would like to harm Tesla (eg. Koch brothers) and Tesla legal team is mostly responsible for these decisions.

Then there is potential issue that requesting logs is not a scaleable solution. As they have more and more requests for logs, they need to hire more and more staff to handle the requests, review the logs, sanitize them and write a report.

Anyway, they need to find a balance between sharing too little and sharing too much.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Needing to hide and sanitize logs makes them IMO look bad and suspect. I mean, they could just make a policy to reveal them on crashes automatically without any sanitizing...
I doubt the raw logs are very useful to most humans, so some explanation would be required by Tesla. Furthermore, not sure if competitors can discern any useful competitive information from the logs, but that may also be a concern.

Reactions: habanero69
I doubt the raw logs are very useful to most humans, so some explanation would be required by Tesla. Furthermore, not sure if competitors can discern any useful competitive information from the logs, but that may also be a concern.

Be that as it may, it also means Tesla looks suspicious. E.g. stonewalling @BinWing makes them look like they have something to hide...

I guess I won't hold my breath on receiving the logs. If unintended acceleration is real, I'm hoping Tesla will resolve the issue and compensate the owners who cars were damaged because of it. I won't be joining any class action lawsuit if it is real. I want Tesla to succeed, I love my car and actually purchased 4 year extended warranty yesterday. LOL

Reactions: beths11
I can activate both TACC and AS from basically a stop, but can only activate TACC at 18+ mph with AP1.

I have no idea what you mean here - the sentence appears to contradict itself?

2 pulls of the stalk (TACC+AS) works from basically a stop, 1 pull (TACC) does not work until 18+ mph, unless a car is in view, then it does work.

However, there seems to be more to it than that.

Today I tried using the AP stalk as if it were a turn signal while rolling to a stop, the car started to accelerate on it's own to a set speed of 18mph. I was in a left turn lane with a car in the opposite left turn lane across from me.

I quickly overrode the command since I was aware of what I was doing, but I can see where this condition would be unexpected and unwanted to a driver who mistakes the AP stalk for the turn signal

of all the sudden acceleration stories. When I read those drivers account, I always blamed it on drivers error (stepping on accelerator pedal and not the brake pedal or pulling on the cc stalk and not the signal stalk.

I had a sudden acceleration incident today, but luckily I reacted quick enough before hitting the car parked in front of me. I was driving my son to school this morning and was pulling up to park behind a car on the street. I slowly pulled forward, turning the wheel right to hug the curve and then left to straighten out the wheel. And as I let my foot off the accelerator, the car lunged forward, but I slammed on the brake before the car was able to move any further. Luckily the car in front of me was another 5 ft away.

I can concretely say that I did not press the accelerator or did my left hand touch the cc stalk when the car lunged forward. The incident left me spooked a bit, hopefully it won't happen again. I didn't call tesla to have the logs pulled because I was busy this morning. Maybe I'll call later to have the logs pulled and see what they say. You guys can interpret this how you want, I just wanted to share my account.
I'm sorry you had a scare, but have you tried to recreate the issue? AP1?

FWIW, Back in 1992 I've actually been a victim of a real stuck accelerator pedal issue in my old 1984 Ford Ranger where the rusty pedal actually got stuck to the floor. I was trying to pass a slow moving truck towing a boat, so I "floored" the accelerator. Pressing down on the clutch made the engine rev up to an incredible speed. Luckily stomping the accelerator hard enough for 5-10 seconds, released it. A little WD40 prevented it from happening again.

In 1984, when I was learning to drive, upon gently accelerating from stop after a green light, the spring of the accelerator pedal of our 1976 VW Beetle broke off and the accelerator stuck to the floor. Pushed brake and clutch and turned motor off in time luckily to avoid car in front of me. So these things did happen indeed. I suppose there must, today, still be a spring (or perhaps more than one spring) in the accelerator pedal, but I'm 100% confident there are also sensors in there which wouldn't let that happen in a 2017 car.

In my S, I have accidentally either left TACC on or engaged TACC without realizing it. There is no audible alert like AutoSteer. If I am behind a car and not needing to touch the brake, then take a right turn at a light for example, as soon as the car in front disappears from TACC, the car will accelerate to TACC speed. This happens in the middle of the turn and can be scary if you don't know what's going on. When you brake and disengage TACC, you won't hear an audible alert either, so there's no way to know if TACC was enabled. Maybe the logs will show it.

of all the sudden acceleration stories. When I read those drivers account, I always blamed it on drivers error (stepping on accelerator pedal and not the brake pedal or pulling on the cc stalk and not the signal stalk.

I had a sudden acceleration incident today, but luckily I reacted quick enough before hitting the car parked in front of me. I was driving my son to school this morning and was pulling up to park behind a car on the street. I slowly pulled forward, turning the wheel right to hug the curve and then left to straighten out the wheel. And as I let my foot off the accelerator, the car lunged forward, but I slammed on the brake before the car was able to move any further. Luckily the car in front of me was another 5 ft away.

I can concretely say that I did not press the accelerator or did my left hand touch the cc stalk when the car lunged forward. The incident left me spooked a bit, hopefully it won't happen again. I didn't call tesla to have the logs pulled because I was busy this morning. Maybe I'll call later to have the logs pulled and see what they say. You guys can interpret this how you want, I just wanted to share my account.

Your foot was physically touching the accelerator at the time of the lunge?

Adaptive Cruise Control story or "How our car acquired the name Christine".

We were traveling from UCSB to Solvang as a family. Just humming down the highway at 75 mph on ACC. Took the exit towards Solvang, and ended up stuck behind a tourist going 25 mph. We are not in a hurry, so we just follow along. As we get closer to Solvang, the car in front suddenly does a quick right into a parking lot...

WHEEEE!!! The car lunges forward at near full power. Like it had a mind of it's own. I hit the brake and it behaved. Guess I forgot to turn the adaptive down from the 75 mph I had it set at. My victims were not too pleased with me, and thought I was trying to scare them. I told them "it wasn't me, it was the car!". Hence the name Christine, the name of the homicidal self-aware car from the Stephen King novel.

Adaptive Cruise Control story or "How our car acquired the name Christine".

We were traveling from UCSB to Solvang as a family. Just humming down the highway at 75 mph on ACC. Took the exit towards Solvang, and ended up stuck behind a tourist going 25 mph. We are not in a hurry, so we just follow along. As we get closer to Solvang, the car in front suddenly does a quick right into a parking lot...

WHEEEE!!! The car lunges forward at near full power. Like it had a mind of it's own. I hit the brake and it behaved. Guess I forgot to turn the adaptive down from the 75 mph I had it set at. My victims were not too pleased with me, and thought I was trying to scare them. I told them "it wasn't me, it was the car!". Hence the name Christine, the name of the homicidal self-aware car from the Stephen King novel.

I will never admit something similar happened to me.

I got a glare out of it. I like your name better. ;)

I immediately thought about how some could blame the car instead of operator error of an amazing system performing as it should.

Last edited:
Reactions: McRat
Yeah, I don't buy it. It's possible this happened... BUT if something like this happened and I had my kid in the car, I would refuse to drive the car anymore. It's like having a dog that bites.... once and I won't trust it again.

Most people who mistakenly accelerate are "confident" they didn't press the accelerator. Not questioning OP's integrity, just pointing out human nature.

(I feel like I should sign off as 'Jeff' since he's the one who normally posts these replies)

I'm just late to the party... :) Yeah, I don't buy it either. So much FUD here these days it's borderline ridiculous...

The only other plausible explanation for this, other than the obvious (and most likely) one where the OP hit the wrong peddle, was that regen was slowing the car down and hit a pothole or something that temporarily disabled regen so the car "feels" like it lunged forward where actually the breaking power applied by the regen force went away due to being temporarily disabled...

Any else here ever notice a trend with things...??? :) It's so hilarious when these trends come up... First AP supposedly tried to kill someone and then we got a flood of "me to" threads which were all as bogus as the first. There have been a few others since, but now the trend clearly is bogus unintended acceleration claims... Wonder where we'll go from here? :)...

Jeff

In 1984, when I was learning to drive, upon gently accelerating from stop after a green light, the spring of the accelerator pedal of our 1976 VW Beetle broke off and the accelerator stuck to the floor. Pushed brake and clutch and turned motor off in time luckily to avoid car in front of me. So these things did happen indeed. I suppose there must, today, still be a spring (or perhaps more than one spring) in the accelerator pedal, but I'm 100% confident there are also sensors in there which wouldn't let that happen in a 2017 car.

You would be right... :)

Jeff

I am just stating my wish list.
1. . I paid for the car and AP or what not. So I should have a right on my own car's data. I should also get a software from manufacturer that allows me or an independent shop to inspect and analyze the data.
Your only option for this at this time is to root your car.
And then figure out where are the logs and how to read them.

2. The software should be open sourced or qualified to make sure there is nothing that hides the car's mistakes.
That does not help you in any way.
THE CAR does not hide anything, but once somebody pulls the raw logs they can do whatever with them.
Logs could be erased from the car once pulled (I certainly had my share of log disappearance incidents from my own car, coinciding to AP problems)

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
If sudden acceleration is real and Tesla knows about it I would wager they will never admit it. They'll try furiously to solve it but will never publicly acknowledge it unless forced to. My guess is we will never know if it is real or not because if real they probably will in fact fix it.
Your guess has no historical basis. Tesla has always preemptively recalled vehicles for even minor issues. For example,
  • 3rd row latches were recalled even though none failed in the wild. Their US testing never failed, but they did see 1 failure in European testing, so they redesigned the latch and recalled all vehicles.
  • Parking Brake recall that is currently ongoing
  • NEMA 14-30 Adapter recall
That's just the few I remember off the top of my head. There is no logical reason to hide such flaws today. The truth inevitable gets out and then has a life of it's own. If you voluntarily perform the recall, then the company has control over the story and can do a better PR job.

Your guess has no historical basis. Tesla has always preemptively recalled vehicles for even minor issues. For example,
  • 3rd row latches were recalled even though none failed in the wild. Their US testing never failed, but they did see 1 failure in European testing, so they redesigned the latch and recalled all vehicles.
  • Parking Brake recall that is currently ongoing
  • NEMA 14-30 Adapter recall
That's just the few I remember off the top of my head. There is no logical reason to hide such flaws today. The truth inevitable gets out and then has a life of it's own. If you voluntarily perform the recall, then the company has control over the story and can do a better PR job.

I have no idea what Tesla would do, but a sudden acceleration flaw would be a potential company killer for a company like Tesla, even if eventually fixed (seeing how much it hurt Audi and Toyota in the U.S., much larger and stabler companies). It could be argued a company might have more incentive to "chance it", than in the other instances.

Comparisons to minor issue recalls might not be relevant.