Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I was skeptical...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no idea what Tesla would do, but a sudden acceleration flaw would be a potential company killer for a company like Tesla, even if eventually fixed (seeing how much it hurt Audi and Toyota in the U.S., much larger and stabler companies). It could be argued a company might have more incentive to "chance it", than in the other instances.

Comparisons to minor issue recalls might not be relevant.
I could argue that Tesla trying to hide a serious flaw would be a definite company-killer (at this stage of Tesla's life) when it finally gets out.

Reactions: slipnslider
I could argue that Tesla trying to hide a serious flaw would be a definite company-killer (at this stage of Tesla's life) when it finally gets out.

Of course. But companies do darnest things, hoping to get away with it. @Canuck can educate us. :) Or Volkswagen.

Mind you, not saying Tesla has any kind of sudden acceleration issue. Though the usability issue with the cruise control seems plausible to me.

Reactions: rpez021
Well, no logs from Tesla to share. Anybody got success in getting any type of logs from Tesla?

No logs to share, as in, Tesla said they can't pull data?

I can't imagine they would have said they won't pull data.

Your incident is quite unsettling, especially considering you've got young kids- surely the SC can at the least run a full diagnostic or re-install the latest software/firmware updates...

Adaptive Cruise Control story or "How our car acquired the name Christine".

We were traveling from UCSB to Solvang as a family. Just humming down the highway at 75 mph on ACC. Took the exit towards Solvang, and ended up stuck behind a tourist going 25 mph. We are not in a hurry, so we just follow along. As we get closer to Solvang, the car in front suddenly does a quick right into a parking lot...

WHEEEE!!! The car lunges forward at near full power. Like it had a mind of it's own. I hit the brake and it behaved. Guess I forgot to turn the adaptive down from the 75 mph I had it set at. My victims were not too pleased with me, and thought I was trying to scare them. I told them "it wasn't me, it was the car!". Hence the name Christine, the name of the homicidal self-aware car from the Stephen King novel.
A simple solution to ALOT of this would be to simply code that ALL AUTOMATIC ACCELERATION IS DONE AT A MODERATE OR EVEN GRANNY PACE.

Heck... There should be a "granny" mode in addition to Ludicrous. No offense to grandmothers.

The local ranger just contacted me, he was contacted by tesla and he has the logs. He's going to interpret it for me. So I will report back. The local rangers here in New Orleans have been pretty phenomenal. I got nothing but praise for them.
I've got to admit, every time I see and read one of your posts, I still get this image of a baby sitting on a booster seat, driving his Model X around town.

Looking forward to what you find out from the ranger,

A simple solution to ALOT of this would be to simply code that ALL AUTOMATIC ACCELERATION IS DONE AT A MODERATE OR EVEN GRANNY PACE.

Heck... There should be a "granny" mode in addition to Ludicrous. No offense to grandmothers.
I couldn't agree more. I've thought this many times when a car gets out of my way and the car suddenly lunges forward. Most people don't drive like that unless they're in some kind of hurry or are exasperated. All automatic accelerations should be gradual. You're not always looking to go on 'Launch Mode' in normal driving. Probably asking for the moon here, but it would be nice to have an adjustment for 'resuming speed' situations, just like you have an adjustment for following length. Then everyone could pick what they're comfortable with.

I couldn't agree more. I've thought this many times when a car gets out of my way and the car suddenly lunges forward. Most people don't drive like that unless they're in some kind of hurry or are exasperated. All automatic accelerations should be gradual. You're not always looking to go on 'Launch Mode' in normal driving. Probably asking for the moon here, but it would be nice to have an adjustment for 'resuming speed' situations, just like you have an adjustment for following length. Then everyone could pick what they're comfortable with.

Spot on.

This thread turned from remotely possible to downright conspiratorial.

Fred did a good piece on it:

Several Tesla owners claim Model X accelerated/crashed on its own but everything points to user error

I've read that article months ago and that caused me to conclude that model x owners who claimed unintended acceleration were always at fault, until it happened to me last week.

Like I said originally, interpret it how you want. Just curious about your assertion that this is conspiratorial?

Reactions: rpez021 and Matias
I've read that article months ago and that caused me to conclude that model x owners who claimed unintended acceleration were always at fault, until it happened to me last week.

Like I said originally, interpret it how you want. Just curious about your assertion that this is conspiratorial?

Only it didn't happen to you last week, it didn't happen to you at all. You were at fault, just like the others...

Jeff

• Disagree
Reactions: rpez021
I wish this wasn't referred to as a 'user error'. The correct terminology is 'use error', which doesn't assign blame. A use error can be the result of a user error, an error in the design that makes it difficult for some users to do the right thing, or an implementation error.

I suspect (because maybe I know someone who has done it -ahem-) that when coming off AP by taking control of the wheel, people forget that they have not yet released TACC. And when the traffic ahead clears by virtue of turning or cars getting out of the way, the vehicle accelerates just as designed. And yes, the blue circle around the max speed is illuminated, so the user has been told ... but most of us are used to seeing the word 'cruise' somewhere near the speedometer, confirming that cruise is enabled.

This does not mean the implementation is wrong. I'm now able to spot that blue circle and know that TACC is operating. I don't want to see that change - so the idea of user configurable settings as to the rate of acceleration is a great one. Perhaps when taking the wheel back from AP, TACC should also be disabled. That way, IF I wanted TACC to continue, I'd have to enable it again. Which would be no big deal and ensure that I was well aware that I was still driving with TACC on.

In my S, I have accidentally either left TACC on or engaged TACC without realizing it. There is no audible alert like AutoSteer. If I am behind a car and not needing to touch the brake, then take a right turn at a light for example, as soon as the car in front disappears from TACC, the car will accelerate to TACC speed. This happens in the middle of the turn and can be scary if you don't know what's going on. When you brake and disengage TACC, you won't hear an audible alert either, so there's no way to know if TACC was enabled. Maybe the logs will show it.

I have had the same issue and mentioned this on another recent thread. The car works as intended here but it would be useful if Tesla could eventually provide a software fix for this situation (since it is consistent, reproducible and associated with specific conditions - i.e. slow speed right hand turns with car in front making the turn and disappearing from your TACC line of sight - and thus something you could program as a condition to turn off the cruise until the steering wheel is straightened). They will have to fix this for fully autonomous driving at some point or there will be accidents.