Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I was skeptical...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish this wasn't referred to as a 'user error'. The correct terminology is 'use error', which doesn't assign blame. A use error can be the result of a user error, an error in the design that makes it difficult for some users to do the right thing, or an implementation error.

I suspect (because maybe I know someone who has done it -ahem-) that when coming off AP by taking control of the wheel, people forget that they have not yet released TACC. And when the traffic ahead clears by virtue of turning or cars getting out of the way, the vehicle accelerates just as designed. And yes, the blue circle around the max speed is illuminated, so the user has been told ... but most of us are used to seeing the word 'cruise' somewhere near the speedometer, confirming that cruise is enabled.

This does not mean the implementation is wrong. I'm now able to spot that blue circle and know that TACC is operating. I don't want to see that change - so the idea of user configurable settings as to the rate of acceleration is a great one. Perhaps when taking the wheel back from AP, TACC should also be disabled. That way, IF I wanted TACC to continue, I'd have to enable it again. Which would be no big deal and ensure that I was well aware that I was still driving with TACC on.

Exceptionally well worded as usual. :)

Jeff

Reactions: cdub
@bonnie Good points. Audi, by the way, spoke of mode confusion in the Plugin magazine interview that has been circulating here as well.

Audi's self driving prototype actually lights up the whole dash in a green line when the car is driving.

7zCDa1k.jpg

And subsequent to quoting and replying to post #50 on this thread there seem to be lots of others with this issue. I like the idea of disabling the cruise control when auto steer is disabled at city speeds for an interim solution.

Perhaps when taking the wheel back from AP, TACC should also be disabled. That way, IF I wanted TACC to continue, I'd have to enable it again. Which would be no big deal and ensure that I was well aware that I was still driving with TACC on.

I have had the same issue and mentioned this on another recent thread. The car works as intended here but it would be useful if Tesla could eventually provide a software fix for this situation (since it is consistent, reproducible and associated with specific conditions - i.e. slow speed right hand turns with car in front making the turn and disappearing from your TACC line of sight - and thus something you could program as a condition to turn off the cruise until the steering wheel is straightened). They will have to fix this for fully autonomous driving at some point or there will be accidents.
Sorry I've not followed the thread closely, but is your TACC set speed far above the speed you are going when the target car exits?

After reading the OP, my first concern would be a faulty cruise/autopilot switch.

Other questions to help: Was the Summon setting on? Could the vehicle have added a "self parking" movement? These are questions that hopefully the logs will show the software engineers what other software code may be suspect.

I was bothered with my first Model X drives when I accidentally used the CC stalk for turn indication and the vehicle would speed up and instantly activate cruise control in a parking lot! Why Tesla turns on the cruise with an up/down change speed control is beyond my comprehension. IMHO, the cruise should only be activated with a pull on the lever.

If you read the guy's post that I responded to, it was meant to be a joke. I guess I should have put LOL at the end of my response.

btw, I've always wanted to ask you this, did you name your sn after the drug voltaren?
I suppose it's Impossible to get tone and inflection out of text. Gives me more confidence... though still disagree with anxietyranger's conspiracy.

As for my sn, yes and no. Back in the day I bought a used Dragon Warrior game for NES. The prior owner named the main character Voltaren which I later learned was a drug when the drug company sued me because I owned voltaren.com. So, yes, I learned the hard way that it was a drug.:(

Summons was not on. I didn't describe it in my original post, but the car felt as if I slammed on the accelerator or when the car is trying to reach a higher speed like when tacc is activated. The reason for the confidence in my assessment of unintended acceleration is that I was able to slam on the brakes when the car lunged forward (my foot was already off the accelerator and that gave me time to step on the brakes). If I had actually stepped on the accelerator and the car accelerated forward, I wouldn't have had time to step on the brakes like in those other cases where other x drivers crashed into objects.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger