TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

i was wondering....How many model 3 reservationists will...

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by alehbaba, Jul 20, 2017.

1. alehbaba

alehbaba Member

actually want the 1st gen of the model 3 with less possible options and no performance and no all wheel drive??I would guess not as many as will want to wait a year..

2. azred

azred Member

Well, if you are far down the waiting list, perhaps you are guilty of wishful thinking. Obviously there is no way to answer your question.

3. kev1n

kev1n Member

why not? im sure the base model will fit a lot of peoples necessity and budget

most will be buying for commute and are in CA, no need for performance/AWD

• Like x 2
  4. alehbaba

alehbaba Member

yes thats true....CA buyers are easy to please..they just want the newest thing first..:p

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. smalltownguy

smalltownguy Member

I'm far down the list, but would definitely take the base model.

Most options are big mark-up for manufactures.

That said, I want all the normal options available on cars today, power windows, locks, cruise, etc.

I don't need PUP, Cold Weather package, High Amp Chargers, etc

• Like x 1
  6. 206er

206er Member

it's been like almost 14 months since I placed a deposit for a $35k, sight unseen Tesla - I want my car yesterday. base battery, black paint, rwd is just fine.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

Membership has its benefits.

Anyway, the big battery is the only dealbreaker for me. Anything else is icing on the cake, so I'll probably be happy with the first option offerings.

8. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

i ordered on day one and all i want is white on white to go with me to Hawaii in retirement

• Like x 3
  9. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I'm not sure I'd want to wait a year, but I don't expect to have to. Elon indicated that they would be building AWD by the end of this year. And it's all "1st Gen", this is just the manufacturing roll out, not a new version of the Model 3.

10. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

If you define "base" as not having AWD or Performance upgrades then, yes, the initial cars will not have these options available. However, I don't think the first cars off the line will be the $35,000 base model either. While there will be few configurable options initially (only wheels and color), I suspect they will have the larger battery, glass roof (which is listed as an option in the "anti-sell" comparison chart) and leather or vegan upholstery rather than textile. As with AWD and Performance, those wanting the "stripper" may have to wait a while.

• Like x 3
  11. azred

azred Member

I think you're wong. If they don't offer base models in the early deliveries, they will get crucified in the press...and they should.

• Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 1
  12. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

I understand where this thought process comes from but I just don't agree. As long as they offer it and deliver at some point I think that's fair enough. Tesla is a business after all and they need the higher margin option profits sooner rather than later.

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 1
  13. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Probably not enough to really offset additional reservation holders that climb on board once things become more real.

I am one of the ones waiting for the better faster version, but I haven't reserved yet. I might when I have a chance to actually sit in it. I don't typically give interest free loans to people I buy stuff from.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

So you saved ~ $50 in interest and gave up the chance to save up to $7,500 in tax credits.

I hope you are happy with your decision.

• Like x 10
    • Funny x 9
    • Helpful x 1
  15. kbM3

kbM3 Member

My speculation is that the initial configurator will show standard, premium, performance and custom. There will just be a delay if you choose standard, custom or performance. I am assuming that the initial configuration will be very similar to the release candidates we've seen. They have alcantara, glass roofs, leather. I.e. basically a premium version. I believe the performance fully loaded version would've been the initial available configuration if they weren't scared that it might delay the production ramp. It is crucial that they maximize gross margins early.

Elon has also previously stated that they would produce highly option versions first.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

well, my wife is ordering so it will just come down to range v cost. if it were me it would be max bat + p

17. Lunarx

Lunarx Member

I'll wait for <3.5s 0-60.
    I want the car to be fun.
    No interest in dropping $40K for basic transportation.
    $60K for a turbo slayer, is a lot more appealing.
    Might be deferring my spot, but hopefully not to the point of loosing the full Tax Credit.

• Like x 1
  18. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

I don't want performance or all wheel drive.
    Probably the two options I care least about.

19. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

If I do go through with the purchase, I think the only option I would get is metallic paint. This would be a second car with the Model X for long distance driving and such.

20. James Anders

James Anders Member

If I wait for the Performance Dual Wheel Drive version then the tax break might be reduced or gone.

• Like x 1