Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

i was wondering....How many model 3 reservationists will...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm far down the list, but would definitely take the base model.

Most options are big mark-up for manufactures.

That said, I want all the normal options available on cars today, power windows, locks, cruise, etc.

I don't need PUP, Cold Weather package, High Amp Chargers, etc

Reactions: 0ptions
actually want the 1st gen of the model 3 with less possible options and no performance and no all wheel drive??I would guess not as many as will want to wait a year..

I'm not sure I'd want to wait a year, but I don't expect to have to. Elon indicated that they would be building AWD by the end of this year. And it's all "1st Gen", this is just the manufacturing roll out, not a new version of the Model 3.

If you define "base" as not having AWD or Performance upgrades then, yes, the initial cars will not have these options available. However, I don't think the first cars off the line will be the $35,000 base model either. While there will be few configurable options initially (only wheels and color), I suspect they will have the larger battery, glass roof (which is listed as an option in the "anti-sell" comparison chart) and leather or vegan upholstery rather than textile. As with AWD and Performance, those wanting the "stripper" may have to wait a while.

If you define "base" as not having AWD or Performance upgrades then, yes, the initial cars will not have these options available. However, I don't think the first cars off the line will be the $35,000 base model either. While there will be few configurable options initially (only wheels and color), I suspect they will have the larger battery, glass roof (which is listed as an option in the "anti-sell" comparison chart) and leather or vegan upholstery rather than textile. As with AWD and Performance, those wanting the "stripper" may have to wait a while.
I think you're wong. If they don't offer base models in the early deliveries, they will get crucified in the press...and they should.

I think you're wong. If they don't offer base models in the early deliveries, they will get crucified in the press...and they should.

I understand where this thought process comes from but I just don't agree. As long as they offer it and deliver at some point I think that's fair enough. Tesla is a business after all and they need the higher margin option profits sooner rather than later.

Probably not enough to really offset additional reservation holders that climb on board once things become more real.

I am one of the ones waiting for the better faster version, but I haven't reserved yet. I might when I have a chance to actually sit in it. I don't typically give interest free loans to people I buy stuff from.

My speculation is that the initial configurator will show standard, premium, performance and custom. There will just be a delay if you choose standard, custom or performance. I am assuming that the initial configuration will be very similar to the release candidates we've seen. They have alcantara, glass roofs, leather. I.e. basically a premium version. I believe the performance fully loaded version would've been the initial available configuration if they weren't scared that it might delay the production ramp. It is crucial that they maximize gross margins early.

Elon has also previously stated that they would produce highly option versions first.

• Informative
Reactions: ChadS and gavine
I'll wait for <3.5s 0-60.
I want the car to be fun.
No interest in dropping $40K for basic transportation.
$60K for a turbo slayer, is a lot more appealing.
Might be deferring my spot, but hopefully not to the point of loosing the full Tax Credit.

Reactions: 0ptions