Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

i was wondering....How many model 3 reservationists will...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have a rather demanding definition of "fun."
Demanding technically for the components to provide that acceleration? I don't think we know yet, but at this point it seems like a production cost or product positioning thing rather than a technical hurdle.

Tesla certainly doesn't have the competition currently and could afford to wait a while to introduce significant performance features. After all, what would a performance Model 3 buyer purchase instead, if <3.5s was NOT available? A model S? Lol!

At a certain point, range and acceleration would cut into Model S sales. So there will be artificial limitations. Within a few years, the bar will be raised by the industry for that price point.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher and Lunarx
The chance to reclaim $12,000 of my hard earned treasure from Uncle Sugar and the state of Colorado is enough for me to take what's given at launch. That should cover the AP and FSD upgrades and maybe have enough left over for Colorados exploitive, anti-car tag fees. I want a big battery and white seats but it looks like that may not be available. In any case...IT DRIVES ITSELF!!!

Reactions: mknoebel and Lunarx
You have a rather demanding definition of "fun."
Kind of true, because I also want track capability, but can settle for a real fun street car.
3.5s would be needed to beat my last cars and the new $70K ICE competitors.

Hugely impressed w/ the 4.3s RWD S75.
But the size & weight detracts too much from the fun.
Figuring a Performance 3 (@ mid 3s) should be the sweet spot.

Last edited:
actually want the 1st gen of the model 3 with less possible options and no performance and no all wheel drive??I would guess not as many as will want to wait a year..

You do realize that if people are deferring their build date, that's just going to push Tesla to move on to building what people want, right?

If 300,000 reservation holders defer their way out of RWD, Tesla isn't going to just keep building RWD and keep 300,000 people waiting.

Reactions: F_T_K and 03DSG
I'm a day one line stander (like 8-9th in line - cant remember anymore) and i intend to get whatever trim car will get me the car first. I don't plan on keeping this car forever like others here and have no problem getting a higher spec'd version in 2-3 years when i want to replace it. That or look at the model y when that is released. We'll also be needing to replace my wife's car in a few years, so the Y would work out well for her in that regard.

Reactions: AlanSqB
I would like to wait for dual motors, but it all depends on the expected delivery vs. tax credits. I might just end up going with whatever is available at the time but I think being a non owner in CO (line stander) that AWD likely won't delay my order much, if at all. Ideally I am waiting for the large batter and dual motors - non performance.

You do realize that if people are deferring their build date, that's just going to push Tesla to move on to building what people want, right?

If 300,000 reservation holders defer their way out of RWD, Tesla isn't going to just keep building RWD and keep 300,000 people waiting.

I'm sure there are others looking to buy a RWD that aren't part of the 300,000.

Reactions: electracity
I don't need ... Cold Weather package ...

Are you sure about that? I live in Houston and am getting the Cold Weather Package as I often take road trips to visit family in Wisconsin. One memorable trip I was driving through Iowa (your state per your Location) to visit family in central Wisconsin (I take 35 up, then 90 over) and the left lane and right shoulder were frequently full of snow higher than my S2000, so it was like driving through a topless tunnel, and when they weren't full of snow the wind was blowing so hard around the door frame that my legs were freezing. I eventually had to take my jacket off and wrap it around my legs.

My understanding is with EVs in northern climes you really want the CWP for the heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc as there's very little excess heat to use for the cabin like there is with an ICE.

Last edited:
I'm a day one line stander (like 8-9th in line - cant remember anymore) and i intend to get whatever trim car will get me the car first. I don't plan on keeping this car forever like others here and have no problem getting a higher spec'd version in 2-3 years when i want to replace it. That or look at the model y when that is released. We'll also be needing to replace my wife's car in a few years, so the Y would work out well for her in that regard.
This is exactly why I Just put in my second reservation. I think there is a chance that the line could continue to grow after the release on July 28. Also, I think it very possible to sell a one or two your old model 3 for very nearly what was paid for it.

My understanding is with EVs in northern climes you really want the CWP for the heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc as there's very little excess heat to use for the cabin like there is with an ICE.

Heated steering wheel and seats in our Leaf are great when just the adults are in the car. They use far less power than cabin air. However, neither of those things help out the kids in the carseats. We still need to heat the cabin air and sacrifice some range.

• Informative
Reactions: SpiceWare
I should be far up on the list, however if I really knew that it wouldn't make any difference in that I want the Dual Motor - all buttons checked....I wouldn't have waited out in the rain - second in line in Chicago Grand.

Others in Chicago will have their Model 3's long before I will. No car and nothing special for waiting in the rain. Oh well....such is life.