Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I weighed my MS today....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What scale did you go to for your weights? I am in Virginia and I can (assuming it is near NoVA) swing by and get my early VIN S85 built in Dec 2012 weighed.

Mine is #3225

I do have aftermarket wheels that are roughly ~7lbs lighter then the stock 19s

You can go to whichever is easier, one is north of DC and one is just north of Richmond. Where I was I went to the Richmond one. If you Google CAT scale you should find their website with the locations. If you go to the Richmond one (Ruther Glen) there are two Flying J's at that exit, you want to go north on 207 (making a left off the south exit ramp) and then it will be your first left again. I went inside first to hit up the clerk to tell them I would be weighing my car, and if you want to avoid them being nosey about why you are weighing your car, you can tell them it is for a "military move". Either way they don't care as long as you pay :)

I would appreciate it since you have a perfect car it seems to compare.

In another thread, we're talking about cells with 10% more energy/cell. If Tesla already had those and if they put less cells in the battery case (but still giving same range) ... that would easily account for weight reduction.

#rumormillhardatworkconnectingthedots

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone with a recent VIN want to crack open their battery case and count 'em?

:)

Look at you joining in on the speculation! I contest this thought process only because they have said that the weight has not been any one thing but a bunch of things over time... I think they mentioned things like the seats as an example... You will have to relisten to the conference call for the specific quote... I would think that dropping out 10% of the cells (that would be almost a whole segment of the pack) which would be pretty significant.

So based on the manual here is the original weighting of the car:
20140819_170019.jpg

What is interesting is that weight listed here is well below the weight listed on the website... but there is a 223lb difference listed here between the 60 and 85.

So... what is the 4647.3 weight that is listed on the website? Did they update the manual to show the new weighting... or the weight that they say my car should be specifically based on the configuration? I mean I could see a ~10lb discrepancy based on having the mobile connector in the car along with some other miscellaneous items...

So I guess something anyone else can verify for me is to check the manual in your car specifically to see what it lists the weights as... preferably someone with either a dramatically different build configuration to mine or a dramatically different build date from mine... or both... If we get the same weighting then that helps narrow it down a bit.

I thought I'd go wild for a moment. The coincidence is just too much for my conspiracy-theory mind. Mind you, I don't actually believe it. But if everyone is going to speculate, thought I'd throw in a contender.

:)

Woah woah I think you have gone too far... Conspiracies!? Better cool down with that crazy talk :p

I am of a mind that the differences in the packs A B D... Are more a change in the pack build themselves and the associated electronics vs the batteries contained inside. Because they moved from A to B to D REALLY fast... So fast I think we skipped C (or I haven't heard of anyone with a C pack. And now, to the best of my knowledge we have been on D for quite some time... Why they two (three?) Revision jump and then nothing for well over a year now...

So it makes a bit more sense to me that they knew they would be rolling out the faster superchargers and had to allow the packs to have the electronics to handle it... The batteries themselves still have room to go faster on the chargers... So I think it is the electronics that are the issue.

Keeping in mind that the batteries themselves have nothing by way of thermal or self management it is the pack and the computers on the pack that does all of that.

But, I could be wrong... Maybe some people are secretly running the next gen batteries ;)

So based on the manual here is the original weighting of the car:
View attachment 56992

What is interesting is that weight listed here is well below the weight listed on the website... but there is a 223lb difference listed here between the 60 and 85.

So... what is the 4647.3 weight that is listed on the website? Did they update the manual to show the new weighting... or the weight that they say my car should be specifically based on the configuration? I mean I could see a ~10lb discrepancy based on having the mobile connector in the car along with some other miscellaneous items...

So I guess something anyone else can verify for me is to check the manual in your car specifically to see what it lists the weights as... preferably someone with either a dramatically different build configuration to mine or a dramatically different build date from mine... or both... If we get the same weighting then that helps narrow it down a bit.

I'm confused why there would be a nearly 200 lbs. weight distribution weight change based on whether you have 19" vs. 21" in front to back. For 19" wheels there is an almost 800 lbs. difference front to back, while the difference for 21" wheels is only around 400.

I'm confused why there would be a nearly 200 lbs. weight distribution weight change based on whether you have 19" vs. 21" in front to back. For 19" wheels there is an almost 800 lbs. difference front to back, while the difference for 21" wheels is only around 400.

That is Gross Weight... As in maximum load capacity... The most weight you can stick on that Axel is different because of various changes when you change the wheel size. I don't know enough about cars to explain what those changes are, but that doesn't mean that the balance of the core car itself changes in a significant way. My guess? Tire clearance. The 21's are a bigger tire and therefore the suspension in the rear will sag too low if you overweight the car... That threshold changes when you have more clearance because of the smaller tire... Basically you can then stick more stuff in the trunk safely with 19s vs 21s...

P85, Manufactured 12/12 All options (21", Pano, twin chargers, leather seats, premium audio, tech package, rear-facing seats). Measured on CAT certified scale:

* Includes UMC & tire repair kit *only*

Steer Axle: 2200 lbs
Drive Axle: 2580 lbs

Gross Weight: 4780 lbs

P85, Manufactured 12/12 All options (21", Pano, twin chargers, leather seats, premium audio, tech package, rear-facing seats). Measured on CAT certified scale:

* Includes UMC & tire repair kit *only*

Steer Axle: 2200 lbs
Drive Axle: 2580 lbs

Gross Weight: 4780 lbs

4780 vs 4640... hrmmmm How much extra do you think the wheels and rear seats add to the weight, because that is probably the only significant difference here between the two cars. And do you have the titanium plate installed?

Thank you very much for doing this!

4780 vs 4640... hrmmmm How much extra do you think the wheels and rear seats add to the weight, because that is probably the only significant difference here between the two cars. And do you have the titanium plate installed?

Thank you very much for doing this!
Sure, although I had to deal with my incredulous better half making fun of me navigating though the busiest truck stop I've ever seen. ;)

I do have the titanium plate.

I would guess the rear seats themselves are only 20-30 pounds, but we know the car's cage is built differently for the seats, so I assume there's some additional weight there as well.

I'm surprised not to find published weights for the wheels. Interesting that our steer axle weights are the same.

BTW, CAT scales have a +/- 20 pound tolerance at the 2,500 to 10,000 pound range.

Last edited:
Sure, although I had to deal with my incredulous better half making fun of me navigating though the busiest truck stop I've ever seen. ;)

I do have the titanium plate.

I would guess the rear seats themselves are only 20-30 pounds, but we know the car's cage is built differently for the seats, so I assume there's some additional weight there as well.

I'm surprised not to find published weights for the wheels. Interesting that our steer axle weights are the same.

BTW, CAT scales have a +/- 20 pound tolerance at the 2,500 to 10,000 pound range.

Yeah, I was hoping to find the weight on the website (at least since you can order it separate you should have a shipping weight right?) for both the wheels and the second charger... but neither are posted...

See I went to the truck stop by myself... which was a good thing since I had to fight I95 traffic in both directions :D What did you tell the store for the reason you were measuring your model S? haha!

So even if the seats (plus the bumper) is 30 pounds, that would still be about a 100 pound difference between the two cars... So depending on the wheel weight difference we are looking at ~100 pounds difference right now.

@Muzzman - great minds think alike. Without knowing this thread existed I weighed mine on 18 Aug and posted the results over at TMF. Here's there repost:

VIN 02298
Dec 2012 build
P85
Air suspension
Solid Roof
21" wheels
Tech Package
Fog lamps
Nappa Leather
Single charger
Parcel shelf
Mats
Trunk well cover
Underbody shield
No Ultimate audio
No 3rd row seats
No spoiler
After market PPF and window film.

Excluding driver and all the crap I had in there, the measured weight was 4676 ± 20 lbs. So as close to the spec weight as makes no difference.