Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I will never buy 21" tires again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My TPMS kept going off and one of my rear staggered 21's was diagnoissed with a hairline crack. I had prepped a set of 19 stockers with PVD Black Chrome - so we pulled the 4 21's to be sent off to rehab (only $800 to repair all of them) and will run the 19's through the winter.

P85+ PVD 19 inch Wheels.jpg

My TPMS kept going off and one of my rear staggered 21's was diagnoissed with a hairline crack. I had prepped a set of 19 stockers with PVD Black Chrome - so we pulled the 4 21's to be sent off to rehab (only $800 to repair all of them) and will run the 19's through the winter.

View attachment 91709
Those look great in black chrome. I did my standard 19's in flat black. I get lots of comments from other Owners thinking they are a aftermarket wheel.

FWIW, here in Texas we're very pleased with the 21" wheel, and no damage thus far over about 40k of driving, give or take.

The only negatives are that Michelin tire availability is a joke (at least via aftermarket; Tesla Services may have the inside track on those?), and the extra cost, of course.

Positives are many: stopping, going, handling/cornering, are far, far better, an important consideration on such fast and powerful automobile. And, the most important--the MS looks far better in a 21" wheel . . . .

TSLA Pilot, are you running staggered or non-staggered 21"s? Mine are staggered, meaning that the only tire that fits is the PS2. For me in Texas, I had one tire replaced due to a sidewall bubble at 7K miles, and was told that there is a small bend in one other rim (which I can't feel when driving.) Talking to both my local Tesla Techs they stated to me that tire and rim damage in the 21" s is extremely common issue (at least down here.)

I have no way to verify this, but I'm curious if Tesla changed the alloy in the wheels at some point. A lot of the 21" problems I'm seeing were early VINs like mine. It seems like more recent owners aren't having as many issues. Of course, this could also be due to the number of miles driven.

I have no way to verify this, but I'm curious if Tesla changed the alloy in the wheels at some point. A lot of the 21" problems I'm seeing were early VINs like mine. It seems like more recent owners aren't having as many issues. Of course, this could also be due to the number of miles driven.

now that is both interesting and could be entirely consistent with Tesla's model of continuous improvement.
Can I suggest setting up a poll to log 21 inch failures by year (or even half year increment). Obviously the older cars will show more failures, but maybe it will show a sudden drop where there was a change.

There are two issues with the 21" wheels. First is the tires, the second is the rims. On the 21" being the tires are low profile, they are more prone to sidewall damage being there is less rubber between the road contact and the rim, and thereby easier for the tire to get damaged. They second with the rim, I believe that the 21" (correct me if I am wrong) are cast and not the stronger forged.

For myself, I took delivery last December. My car came with the staggered 21" with PS2s. In 7000 miles I have had one tire replaced due to a sidewall bubble, and one other wheel's rim damaged for no impact that I ever noticed.

TSLA Pilot, are you running staggered or non-staggered 21"s? Mine are staggered, meaning that the only tire that fits is the PS2. For me in Texas, I had one tire replaced due to a sidewall bubble at 7K miles, and was told that there is a small bend in one other rim (which I can't feel when driving.) Talking to both my local Tesla Techs they stated to me that tire and rim damage in the 21" s is extremely common issue (at least down here.)

Non-staggered 21" Tesla wheels.

Note that Dallas is filled with 5 or 6 inch "wheel buster" lane separators at many intersections. On our side of Hwy 360 we don't have that insanity to deal with so perhaps that may help explain the number of blown tires and bent wheels?

We've had the 21" wheels since our first MS in June of 2013 and are quite pleased. The issue with the 19" wheel and tire is the massive difference in available traction, as noted with some of our service loaners IMHO. (And our 70D until the wheels are replaced.)

Perhaps Tesla will upgrade and make the base wheel 20" for the Model X, and then bring that over to the MS? Sounds like it might be a better choice/compromise, and fill out the wheel well a bit better, especially on the SUV . . . .