Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wimped out today, took the Prius

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
My first real time to surrender to the fact that the Prius was the superior tool for the job.

The Facts:
306 mile round trip with about 6-7 hours at the destination
Interstate almost the whole way
No, and I mean absolutely none, public charging in the destination city (Jefferson City, MO--yes, the state capital !)
Morning temps 7F, afternoon up to 23F

I've done the trip before and was successful with a 2 hour charge at an RV park on the way back, but in warmer weather and only a 2-3 hour turn around time. I estimated at least 3 hours and up to 4 hours charge stop would be necessary due to the cold and that would mean I didn't get home until 10pm.

I just couldn't do it. There are no public or private chargers listed along the route of travel on any of the major EV charger apps.

The Prius did great, got me back in plenty of time for dinner with the family.

Need some Superchargers in MO in a major way!

I would have done the same thing. And even in California will continue to do so here and there. This year I can now drive north to Oregon, where in 2013 I took an ICE. But Yosemite still requires an ICE. I don't have the patience or tolerance for hunting out RV parks...

This year I can now drive north to Oregon, where in 2013 I took an ICE. But Yosemite still requires an ICE.

Even with the new SC scheduled for sometime this year in the Manteca area it is unlikely that an 85 will be able to drive from there to Yosemite valley and back without some additional charging along the way. You will need to find a destination along that route that will let you charge.

Even with the new SC scheduled for sometime this year in the Manteca area it is unlikely that an 85 will be able to drive from there to Yosemite valley and back without some additional charging along the way. You will need to find a destination along that route that will let you charge.

Are there no charging stations at all in Yosemite Valley? Even if there aren't, I would think that with the drive mostly downhill from the Valley to Manteca, minimal if any charging would be required to get back to Manteca (assuming that someone isn't tooling around Yosemite instead of walking/hiking/skiing).

evtripplanner.com shows a round trip Manteca to Yosemite and back as 243 rated miles (with a 1.15 speed rating).

Even a little charge while there (110 wall outlet?) would make it a very doable trip.

For some who feel the current range is adequate here is a good example that demonstrates why the future (3-5 years out) needs to include a battery option that is in the 350-450 mile range.
There are just going to be too many people who live off the main interstate system or whose destination is in the boonies. And until I get my Model E my Prius V is a reasonable alternative.

I would love it if Tesla partnered with (whoever - national, state, etc) park administration to set up 100% off-electric-grid solar + battery-backed superchargers (or whatever EVSE is appropriate) in the boonies in major parks.
(car-reachable boonies are not very boonie-ish in my mind anyways ... it's not like you're climbing a mountain and run into a supercharger at the summit).