Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wish Autosteer kept me a little more to the right of center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my Model 3 and was trying out Autopilot this afternoon. If an 18 wheeler is coming towards me on a 2 lane road, I naturally veer slightly to the right. I found Autosteer kept me a little closer to the center of the road than I was comfortable with. I guess that's one way to make sure I keep my hands gripping the wheel.

Just got my Model 3 and was trying out Autopilot this afternoon. If an 18 wheeler is coming towards me on a 2 lane road, I naturally veer slightly to the right. I found Autosteer kept me a little closer to the center of the road than I was comfortable with. I guess that's one way to make sure I keep my hands gripping the wheel.
Its funny, most posts seem to say that the car stays too far to the right of the lane.

I had the same breaking issue when I hit a large shadow under bridge, scared the crap out of me. I drive that way everyday and its only happened the one time. I also agree, it tends to be closer to the center line than I'd like. I'd rather be closer on the right hand side.

Just got the car two days ago and from my initial driving AP tends to drive a little too close for comfort to the left divider in the carpool lane. Like it shows the grey lines because the divider is close by to the left of the car. And for regular driving if there is a car next to me who’s a little too close to me it doesn’t seem to mind or adjust for it, though in normal driving I would.
Not complaining, just noticing as I learn what it can/can’t/does/doesn’t do.
Overall autopilot is amazing. It changes the game of driving.

Another vote for Autopilot using the cameras, sensors, and map data to determine the appropriate position in a lane. If a semi is on my left, or if a vehicle on my left is driving close to the center line, AP should stay right of center. If a semi is on my right, or if a vehicle on my right is driving close to the center line, stay left of center.

Last edited:
The car's position in the lane seems accurate on the IC display. Even when AP is failing to make a turn, the display shows it crossing the lane line. You can check where you are in the lane by looking at the display, just to double check your impressions.

The ultrasonics have at times shifted the car away from trucks in an adjacent lane, but unless the closing speed is very slow it's usually a little late at best.

This would be a nice subtlety to add, but I'm OK with center of the lane.

definitely is too close to the left side. I was driving down a road with brand new road markings on brand new blacktop. It had a double yellow centre line complete with yellow studs (they really really want to stop people crossing that line!). AP consistently had the car rumbling over those center line studs even though there was plenty of room on the rhs.