Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wish I could tilt the screen!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New M3+ owner and I wish that you could tilt the screen so that it was easier to see and reach, particularly on RH drive vehicles while using left hand to use the screen! I tried contacting Tesla to see if something after market could be used without voiding warranty only to be told - that is just the way things are and if you put something on after market, you will void the warranty on the screen, not even using an authorised service centre would seem to help.

I'm surprised that this attitude is taken when so many have expressed how much better it is to be able to have the screen tilted slightly towards the driver! By having a screen that can be adjusted toward a driver when needed goes a long way towards usability.

Am I the only one that finds this annoying?

Indeed, this is something that should at least be option on our cars. Having it centered makes no sense for a solo driver.

But after market can fix this easily. I wouldn't buy anything from Hansshow, but there are multiple versions of this available from people like RPMTesla, Amazon, AbstractOcean.

For me personally, I'm not willing to just accept Tesla's shitty design decisions, and am fixing all the annoyances on my car. That bit about it voiding the warranty on the screen is part of their FUD about modifying anything on their shining gem of perfection. I'd expect the Aus consumer laws to be more favorable than here- but at least here in the US the Magnusson-Moss act says they cannot deny a warranty claim unless they can prove the after market device caused the problem. Mere existence of said device is not sufficient.

Regardless, you should do it. The screen is not that expensive even if you somehow have terrible luck and it goes belly up. It's really great, better actually than I expected, and has helped with the tweak in my neck from using the centered screen when charging.

IMG_1455.JPG

Indeed, this is something that should at least be option on our cars. Having it centered makes no sense for a solo driver.

But after market can fix this easily. I wouldn't buy anything from Hansshow, but there are multiple versions of this available from people like RPMTesla, Amazon, AbstractOcean.

For me personally, I'm not willing to just accept Tesla's shitty design decisions, and am fixing all the annoyances on my car. That bit about it voiding the warranty on the screen is part of their FUD about modifying anything on their shining gem of perfection. I'd expect the Aus consumer laws to be more favorable than here- but at least here in the US the Magnusson-Moss act says they cannot deny a warranty claim unless they can prove the after market device caused the problem. Mere existence of said device is not sufficient.

Regardless, you should do it. The screen is not that expensive even if you somehow have terrible luck and it goes belly up. It's really great, better actually than I expected, and has helped with the tweak in my neck from using the centered screen when charging.

View attachment 709989
which one did you go with - it looks good!

Pretty well all the Chinese manufacturers and AO have ripped off the original inventor and are made at lower quality.

His shop site is here:

Current exchange rate works out at AUD $375.90 (USD$275 + USD$30 shipping) delivered to Oz.

One of Matt Shumaker's (Tech Forum) recent Youtube vids:

I'm currently waiting on his slightly more expensive 'Atlas' edition which goes left/right and up/down for about $80 more (check his vids).

Reactions: Hairyman
Pretty well all the Chinese manufacturers and AO have ripped off the original inventor and are made at lower quality.

His shop site is here:

Current exchange rate works out at AUD $375.90 (USD$275 + USD$30 shipping) delivered to Oz.

I'm currently waiting on his slightly more expensive 'Atlas' edition which goes left/right and up/down for about $80 more (check his vids).
I've checked that one out already, but wasn't thrilled with the velcro boot look, but it is definitely a consideration given that he was the original designer. I'm also not really confident doing this mod myself so was hoping to find a place that could do it for me - the search begins :oops:

Reactions: OzVic
I've checked that one out already, but wasn't thrilled with the velcro boot look, but it is definitely a consideration given that he was the original designer. I'm also not really confident doing this mod myself so was hoping to find a place that could do it for me - the search begins :oops:
Apparently he's in the process of changing for a quality plastic cover. Will be a few dollars (cost price) once available if shipped with the old cover.

His shop site is here:

Yeah, I was planning to go with Matt's original setup, but even his non-Atlas original was 5 weeks out, and I didn't want to wait. I'm planning a 2000 mile drive, and want all this done beforehand. I decided that it wasn't important to me personally to have vertical tilt.

The Hansshow is a direct knock-off of Matt's original, but the one that I bought is an alternate design that is arguably a completely different design, because the metal rotation is not Matt's design, and has the plastic injection molded shroud, instead of the wrap.

The one I bought was on Amazon from Basenor:

There are other chinese knock-offs of the knock-offs, but I went with Basenor because they had an extra-off coupon, and I think Basenor will be around for awhile, instead of the YMGK, or PHKT or whatever sellers. There are Alibaba versions without the tools for example.

If you just want to buy and be done, RPMTesla and/or AbstractOcean are sure bets. They will actually provide after sale support if you need it.

Installing it is pretty easy. Even going painfully slow like I always do for installs it only took me an hour. Any audio car installer can do this in 15 minutes, sight unseen. Anyone who has a toolbox for home repairs can do this.

• Informative

View attachment 709989

Brisbane service told me that I had a fleet carma adapter voided the warranty for my whole vehicle and they arent obliged to do any warranty work on the car. LOL
I was literally speechless but Brisbane service centre has been incompetent so many times that nothing surprises me lol. they never mentioned it again lol.

View attachment 709989
What aftermarket wood trim is that? Hillsmade?

What aftermarket wood trim is that? Hillsmade?
That was actually the very first mod I made, because that black plastic was just not good. I think there must be at dozens of us that like the wood trim. Dozens!

The one I got was from RPMTesla, because they put in effort to make it exactly match the dashboard trim. It's about a year old now, and still looks great.

Model 3 & Y Center Console Wrap (Gen. 2) - Vinyl Wood

An update: I ended up buying a screen swivel from Tech Forum and had it installed by audio installers... it is great! I had a service problem with the screen (the thermostat fan was making a noise) and the Service techo's were great about having the swivel screen in after I explained that I needed it to reach the screen (short arms!). Very happy with having it in, it swivels left and right only but I love the position.

Brisbane service told me that I had a fleet carma adapter voided the warranty for my whole vehicle and they arent obliged to do any warranty work on the car. LOL
I was literally speechless but Brisbane service centre has been incompetent so many times that nothing surprises me lol. they never mentioned it again lol.
Next time they do tell them to put it in writing so you can forward to the ACCC. Should shut them up.

Reactions: Gayle S