Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wish MY had soft close doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never owned a Tesla before and upon cursory review of the forum, it seems this issue is not specific to MY but does anyone else notice closing the doors requires a bit of force? Each time I close the door, I mentally prepare to hear shattered glass.

for those that have had your vehicle for some time now, does the door “break in” and become easier to close?

Search results suggest there are after market kits for soft closing, has anyone on this forum used such a thing on a prior Tesla?

Reactions: bob00 and 73Bruin
I have never owned a Tesla before and upon cursory review of the forum, it seems this issue is not specific to MY but does anyone else notice closing the doors requires a bit of force? Each time I close the door, I mentally prepare to hear shattered glass.

for those that have had your vehicle for some time now, does the door “break in” and become easier to close?

Search results suggest there are after market kits for soft closing, has anyone on this forum used such a thing on a prior Tesla?

It's likely that your strikers are not aligned with the latches on your doors. You shouldn't hear anything that sounds like metal on metal when closing the doors.

I scheduled a mobile service appointment just in case. The door is slightly misaligned and that was really one of the few minor issues I noticed when I took delivery yesterday.

8C96844D-52C9-493C-A338-C7A983DDA987.jpeg
5088D7CF-2076-4576-AA82-D4ACB757B522.jpeg

I scheduled a mobile service appointment just in case. The door is slightly misaligned and that was really one of the few minor issues I noticed when I took delivery yesterday.

View attachment 590257 View attachment 590258

If you're lucky, the improperly positioned striker is also what's causing your front door to sit a bit higher than the rear door when closed. It's possible that he/she can simply adjust the striker down and out and your alignment and hard closing issues will be resolved. Good luck!

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I am sure companies like Hansshow are working on the soft-close door kit as they already have it for the M3. As the Y production ramps up in China to cover the European market and thus making the car more main-stream, there will be tons more modification kits (frunk closure systems and suspension upgrades, etc) available.

Sorry for the bump a few months later, but I figured this way people in this thread who were interested get notified. Tesla Offer is going to start shipping their soft close door kits (and also auto present door handle kits) for the MY in March. I have 2 on pre-order. I also have 2 of their power frunk kits already installed on MY's (my wife and I both have one) and they are really nice kits.

Reactions: JAM3S
Sorry for the bump a few months later, but I figured this way people in this thread who were interested get notified. Tesla Offer is going to start shipping their soft close door kits (and also auto present door handle kits) for the MY in March. I have 2 on pre-order. I also have 2 of their power frunk kits already installed on MY's (my wife and I both have one) and they are really nice kits.
Will be great to see these installed. I really miss this from my BMW X5. Such a great solution with kids.

Yikes! Sept 20 to Feb. 25, that's a helluva gap...

It didn't take long for my VIN 88xxx, 12/26/2020 delivered MY door seals to relax a bit, and all four doors close normally now.

I suspect that's why this thread went dark...normal break-in for the door seals.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
experience with soft close doors.
If you are getting it solely for yourself? Fine. But my experience with prior cars wth them? Passengers NEVER remember or know, and end up shutting them the normal way. Or, you end up getting annoyed by having to remind them/tell them to soft close. 50% of the time they STILL shut it all the way manually.

experience with soft close doors.
If you are getting it solely for yourself? Fine. But my experience with prior cars wth them? Passengers NEVER remember or know, and end up shutting them the normal way. Or, you end up getting annoyed by having to remind them/tell them to soft close. 50% of the time they STILL shut it all the way manually.

On what vehicle? On my 2018 X5 the doors just worked no matter if someone slammed them or pushed it almost closed and it finished the job.

On what vehicle? On my 2018 X5 the doors just worked no matter if someone slammed them or pushed it almost closed and it finished the job.
7 series BMW.

Yes they work regardless, but for me, it irked the HECK out of me when people shut (or slammed since the doors were heavy) the doors vs pulling gently, and letting the soft close mechanism softly..close..automatically.

Reactions: JAM3S
@Lounanne Did your front & rear (driver side?) door‘s not being flush get corrected? Would love to hear the steps you went through even if issue was not resolved.
I had the door included in my service ticket to address other minor issues that were identified during delivery but agreed with both mobile service and the SC that it was not worth trying to fix; the door has fixed itself to an extent with use so it is hardly noticeable now.