Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wish Tesla made this easy thing to make navigation on autopilot better!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason I thought that forum has special thread for all owner suggestions how Tesla car can be better, but I did not find it, so I decided to post here. It can be moved by moderator to any place where it belongs of course.
Today I tried first time navigation on autopilot and while I noticed all pluses and minuses, I think all can agree with next idea: message asking confirmation to change lane has no chime sound, more it does not say left or right line it wants to go. It is inconvenient to look on a picture at first and then make a turn signal. I think that there should be two different sounds for left and right, so after short time I would easy know what it is about. I believe that can make navigation on autopilot so much easier.

Reactions: Electroman
Drive it more before you think about recommendations. I think that you may fib your opinion changes with experience.
Also, if the car is driving, you should have more time to scan gauges
I am not sure that my recommendation change. Sure I have more time to scan gauges, but it is not a goal. The goal is to make driving safer and more comfortable. Scanning gauges do not do that. I found myself scanning gauges to often instead of looking on a road. And this is no good. Simple sound notification would make driving so much easier.

No thanks. I rarely listen to music at home, but always blast music in my cars. I don't want a chime interrupting my music every few minutes considering I use mad max for nav on autopilot.

There is already a chime for nav on autopilot for the exit lane confirmation when you're coming up to it, if anything they made the right choice and already thought about this.

Maybe an option to turn on all lane change chimes will come down the pipe soon, but having it always on would drive me nuts.

No thanks. I rarely listen to music at home, but always blast music in my cars. I don't want a chime interrupting my music every few minutes considering I use mad max for nav on autopilot.

There is already a chime for nav on autopilot for the exit lane confirmation when you're coming up to it, if anything they made the right choice and already thought about this.

Maybe an option to turn on all lane change chimes will come down the pipe soon, but having it always on would drive me nuts.
most of the chimes can be turned off. So I rather to have a chime than constantly scanning the monitor. And making option to turn it off will make it perfect for everybody.

They have a chime already. My problem is that it regularly wants to change lanes unnecessarily (like 15 minutes or more from an exit). It seems to be a mapping error as it changes its mind later and is happy to go back to the previous (usually middle) lane for a while. I wouldn’t mind if it was just trying to keep you to the right when not passing, but it does it even in traffic when you are passing slower traffic on the right.

They have a chime already. My problem is that it regularly wants to change lanes unnecessarily (like 15 minutes or more from an exit). It seems to be a mapping error as it changes its mind later and is happy to go back to the previous (usually middle) lane for a while. I wouldn’t mind if it was just trying to keep you to the right when not passing, but it does it even in traffic when you are passing slower traffic on the right.
Never seen chime to confirm a lane change in settings. And I was talking not as much of a chime as of making diff sounds to confirm left and right lane change.

Drive it more before you think about recommendations. I think that you may fib your opinion changes with experience.
Also, if the car is driving, you should have more time to scan gauges
Scanning the gauges/display is a good option except for one major flaw. The display does not show cars far enough behind you to be able to make a safe decision. Move the car up on the display since I could less what is in front of me but rather I need to need what is beside me, in my blind spot and cars further behind. Cars only show up on the display when they can no longer be seen in the rear view mirror which is far to close to you to make much of a decision so I still always look out the windows before confirming. Why Tesla has taken so long to display cars further behind me is a mystery unless the cameras aren't capable,

Reactions: Msjulie
I wish there was a way to tell it you don't want to follow its recommendation. I never use Navigate on Autopilot for two reasons:
  1. I'm much better at determining if and when I should change lanes.
  2. It wants to move over for exits way too early, and then drastically slows down if you ignore the recommendation.

I love EAP but Navigate on Autopilot still needs a lot of work. For my driving style I have a hard time seeing it as ever being useful until at least level 4 (ie, I can turn it on and then zone out/work/read a book/etc).

I wish there was a way to tell it you don't want to follow its recommendation. I never use Navigate on Autopilot for two reasons:
  1. I'm much better at determining if and when I should change lanes.
  2. It wants to move over for exits way too early, and then drastically slows down if you ignore the recommendation.

I love EAP but Navigate on Autopilot still needs a lot of work. For my driving style I have a hard time seeing it as ever being useful until at least level 4 (ie, I can turn it on and then zone out/work/read a book/etc).

I don't like it either, but I use it anyway. It's a neural network, and we're beta testers. More information it can get the better it will be in the future.