Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wish the headrests were adjustable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrklaw

Mar 5, 2020
Berkshire
When driving the position is ok, but when trying to relax while parked they’re a pain in the butt.

the sets recline massively - almost flat which is great for a quick nap during a stop, combined with a nice view up through the glass roof and an ocean sounds Spotify playlist…perfect. Almost. I even have a ‘relax’ driver profile which reclines the seat fully.

but the headrest means I have to shuffle down in the seat to miss it, or I’m resting a lot of weight on the back of my head

When driving the position is ok, but when trying to relax while parked they’re a pain in the butt.

the sets recline massively - almost flat which is great for a quick nap during a stop, combined with a nice view up through the glass roof and an ocean sounds Spotify playlist…perfect. Almost. I even have a ‘relax’ driver profile which reclines the seat fully.

but the headrest means I have to shuffle down in the seat to miss it, or I’m resting a lot of weight on the back of my head
Yes, the headrests are a huge problem for Tesla. I went into a Tesla dealer, test drove a Model X (Model Y &3 have the same exact headrests), and told the Tesla salesperson I would not order the car because of the very annoying position of the headrests. She stated that 50% of the people that test drove the Model X told her they would not purchase it because of the forward position of the headrest. I then researched this and discovered the recommended safe distance between the back of your head and the headrest is 2 inches. Tesla positions its headrest to actually touch your head and does not provide those recommended 2 inches that all other manhufacturers provide. In addition, she further stated that a majority of her buyers who purchased the vehicle called after owning it a few days and complained about the headrest.

I would love if they adjusted for people who like to sit up more straight. I have to sit more upright because otherwise I get power back pain, but now with my 3 it causes neck pain. It appears the seats are designed to be in only one lean back position. Quite uncomfortable and saddens me to have such pain due to a car I otherwise really like. But I cannot continue driving with my head forced to tilt down, alternatively not lean against the seat or slide and tilt to the side of the headrest.

My back cannot take this oversight.

Thank me later

PBnvfP9.jpg

Feels amazing. One of the best mods added to my car. Can't believe I drove around 2 years without them.

There's also the safety factor considering people are modifying their headrests or leaning to the side of the rest, leading to a more dangerous situation. Also, some are not buying teslas for this reason alone.

Personally I lean to the side of the headrest and this is much less safe, otherwise my neck hurts. So, it would be great to have some adjustability. I will be modifying my headrest in some manner when I have the time to make it less painful.

I totally wish they were adjustable. for anyone with decent posture the head rests in the 3 push the neck into slight flexion/forward which after a few hours gets uncomfortable. for people who already have forward head carriage (bad posture) I can see this not being an issue. But annoying for the rest of us.

Again, they are not really headrests, they are head restraints, designed to prevent whiplash.
Yes, and that seems to be why this same complaint shows up on many other recent model car forums...

In theory, they could be adjustable so that every driver and passenger could put them barely behind their head. But most drivers and passengers do not adjust them optimally, so IIHS downrates whiplash protection if they can be put too far from the crash dummy's head. But that also means that drivers and passengers who put the seat back closer to vertical may find the head restraint pushing their head forward/down.

I cannot stand the way the headrest/restraint forces my head forward. The neck pillow still puts my back in a slouching position even though my head can tilt backward a bit. I tried to follow this video but clearly the M3 headrest removal process is different than the MX. Can someone chime in on how I can remove the headrst/restraint from the top of my seat so I can make necessary adjustments?

The head restraint can be turned around by taking the back of the seat off. Lots of videos showing how to do this and several threads in forums. Yes, it affects the supposed safety of the restraint but for those of us who‘s head is forced downward by the delivered position, this is a great help. And you still have a head restraint for the more egregious read-enders.

The head restraint can be turned around by taking the back of the seat off. Lots of videos showing how to do this and several threads in forums. Yes, it affects the supposed safety of the restraint but for those of us who‘s head is forced downward by the delivered position, this is a great help. And you still have a head restraint for the more egregious read-enders.
Exactly what I did... just pull it out and turn it around it hardly takes any time at all.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Agree fully, the headrest might be the worst part about the car. Way too much forward. If you want to drive in a more active and safe upright position, you simply can not because the headrest pushes your head forward in an unnatural position that your neck can't support for long. It is an ergonomic failure in my opinion. "Solution" is to adopt a flatter more relaxed seating position, then it gets to the point of being bareable. But then your shoulders loose contact with the seat. If you ever have to take avasive action, or drive in a sporty fashion, it will be hard to control the car since you will not be correctly supported by the backrest and your torso will go all over the place. So please Tesla, give us adjustable headrests !

Yeah you have to bend them to the correct position. Clamp one post at a time and you can just grab the headrest and bend it with your bare hands. Here is mine and you can see that I've already bent the far post about half as much as needed.

They do fit backwards but that was way too far back for me and they look weird when backwards. Bending twice as far as shown below is just about right.

1682214859303.png

Last edited: