Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wish the Model 3 had the new Model S steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
So the Model S refresh is getting the steering wheel yoke. There is also no stalk. You can control turning signal, lights, AP etc from the yoke.

I wish the Model 3 had this!

EsxXjKHVEAAFaHQ

Personally, having driven a few cars like this, these U wheels (and similar) are HORRIBLE to actually drive with. Sure, they turn up on those sleek "concept cars" and look all futuristic and exciting, but they dont work at all well unless you are an F1 or track driver.

Agreed. It wouldn't be fun as a daily driver, especially backing out/in parking spots, etc

I'd have to see how it feels first, but from an aesthetic POV, it seems to make more sense in the S, since it doesn't obscure the forward display.

Of course, if they want to build a Model 3 Plaid+, I'd be okay with it, lol.

Reactions: Ron_M3
Personally, having driven a few cars like this, these U wheels (and similar) are HORRIBLE to actually drive with. Sure, they turn up on those sleek "concept cars" and look all futuristic and exciting, but they dont work at all well unless you are an F1 or track driver.

All new Model S owners are about to become F1 track drivers

Don't like it.
I also do not like other details i see in the photos -- the Model 3 style electric door handles, lack of a glove box, and greater reliance on the screen for adjustments that are done today on Model S/X with steering wheel buttons or physical buttons on the seats and doors.
I did not hear the presentation. But if the photos are accurate, this is exactly what I feared....

Last edited:
Have to see it in use first for judgement, but initial reaction is a vast majority of people would be much better off with a regular steering wheel.

Also if those buttons are those touch sensitive buttons like a lot of cars use today, those tend to be the worst kind (not only no physical feedback, but also very little or no visual feedback of activation).