Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wish the Model 3 had the new Model S steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How to turn on turn signals, switch driving gears, turn on Autopilot and Autosteer?[/QUOTE}

There are icons around the scroll wheels for those functions. You can see them circled in red in the picture I posted. Unsure if they are flat "buttons" you touch or if you use the scroll wheel to activate the features.

Personally, I love the look but need to drive it before I'm fully on-board. Not saying this is the way all steering wheels will go in the future, but keep in mind this is something they are offering on a production car, so am guessing all the folks that tried the wheel liked it better than the traditional wheel or they wouldn't have changed it.

Yeah, just like they tested the new M3 UI and everyone loved it, otherwise they wouldn't have changed it!

There are icons around the scroll wheels for those functions. You can see them circled in red in the picture I posted. Unsure if they are flat "buttons" you touch or if you use the scroll wheel to activate the features.

Thanks. I didn't notice until I could zoom in the picture for the icons:

09 o'clock position: Left turn
10 o'clock position: Right turn
11 o'clock position: Headlight
13 o'clock position: Horn
14 o'clock position: Wipers
15 o'clock position: Microphone

So instead of pushing on the center of the steering wheel, maybe I could push on the 13 o'clock position for the Horn. Or maybe I'll just leisurely scroll the scrolling wheel until the correct icon lights up then push on that scrolling wheel.

Sounds like too many steps just to become a whistleblower!

Last edited:
Personally, I love the look but need to drive it before I'm fully on-board. Not saying this is the way all steering wheels will go in the future, but keep in mind this is something they are offering on a production car, so am guessing all the folks that tried the wheel liked it better than the traditional wheel or they wouldn't have changed it.

Or the people who didn't like it were scared to speak up… or simply ignored…

Simple, make it a performance option, so people who wannabe-F1 drivers can do so; while the rest can have their traditional wheel.

I see why they did it, so that the traditional instrument cluster isn't blocked by the top of the wheel, which I like, but I'd have to try it to see if I liked it.