Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wish the Model 3 had the new Model S steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I didn't notice until I could zoom in the picture for the icons:

09 o'clock position: Left turn
10 o'clock position: Right turn
11 o'clock position: Headlight
13 o'clock position: Horn
14 o'clock position: Wipers
15 o'clock position: Microphone

So instead of pushing on the center of the steering wheel, maybe I could push on the 13 o'clock position for the Horn. Or maybe I'll just leisurely scroll the scrolling wheel until the correct icon lights up then push on that scrolling wheel.

Sounds like too many steps just to become a whistleblower!

From Elektrek, they are force touch buttons on the yoke:

"The steering wheel is equipped with the same scrolls already found on the Model 3 and Model Y wheel, but it now features new force touch buttons for the turn signals, high beams, honk, Autopilot, windshield control, and voice commands:"

And there is a force touch button at the base of the center console for P, N and D but that Tesla wants the car's AI do it automatically at some point:

"Electrek obtained internal Tesla documents that shows the automaker plans to use Autopilot and AI to know which drive mode to activate.

Tesla writes in the document:

“The vehicle uses its Autopilot sensors to intelligently and automatically determine intended drive modes and select them. For example, if the front of Model S/X is facing a garage wall, it will detect this and automatically shift to Reverse once the driver presses the brake pedal. This eliminates one more step for the drivers of the world’s most intelligent production cars.”

That’s quite a change in the way to operate a car, but Tesla is making sure that people are not too confused about it by adding force touch controls for “Park, Reverse, Neutral, and Drive’ drive modes at the base of the phone charger on the center console."

Tesla's new steering wheel comes with Autopilot sensor-based drive modes, force touch buttons, and more - Electrek

• Informative
Reactions: Tam and KenC
Because of airbags the proper place to hold the wheel is 9 and 3 anyhow... (10 and 2 increases the chances of injury.)
True but....... just try and wrap your hands around the S/X wheel at 9/3.o_O WELL that doesn't work either.:eek:

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 6.17.22 AM.png

True but....... just try and wrap your hands around the S/X wheel at 9/3.o_O WELL that doesn't work either.:eek:

Works perfectly at 9/3 with your left thumb positioned over the indicators.

Electrek article is interesting.
So in general automated D/R detection, but also manual buttons just under the wireless charger - basically where a classic stick would be.

Works perfectly at 9/3 with your left thumb positioned over the indicators....

10/2 where are you????? Tight turns all the way to full lock will be a puzzle.

Going back to my original post. The 10/2 was more of a pun and the latter point was the more applicable. Also no one drives around locked in a 10/2 or 9/3 position (sans turns). We all use different hand positions at different times and different situations.

Just one more oddity/complaint is using the turn signals. Love the clean no stalk look.....BUT seems looking down and "finding" a point on the pad to turn on the signals while you need to pay attention to the dynamics of the upcoming turn is WAY more more convoluted/time consuming than the instinctual up/down flick we all do in milliseconds without any real thought or need to locate.

I am willing to pay €1000 to have this in my M3, so cool! This is a lot, because I'm not willing to pay a single € for any other add-on features , real or wishful thinking :D Would me amazing to have all the controls in the wheel and give the cabin an even more minimalistic look and feel.

My only critique of the steering control is that I think it would look cooler if they eliminated the bottom portion of it as well (just like the top). Personally, I think this is better than a traditional wheel. I always found it funny that the wheel has to spin around and around to get the wheels turned to where you want them for sharp turns. Then the wheels spins back the other way to straighten out. Software here will prevent you from over-steering at high speeds. Parking should be as easy as just turning the yoke all the way to the left or right. No spinning seems better to me.

Good luck trying to find the turn signal while your turning the steering wheel.

Cool for FSD, but this seems like a horrible idea for a human driving the car.

I could see this being a thing IF FSD really did work like tesla hopes - in reality we still seem far from that - even with the re-write not all edge case scenarios will be handled and in a panic good luck grabbing that steering wheel and quickly making a left or right turn - we do this usually without looking at the steering wheel. In a sense I'm most bothered by the lack of a turn signal stalk.

Thankfully it looks like there's a chance this doesn't make it into the production vehicle.

Why Tesla’s impractical butterfly steering wheel probably won’t make it into production

While it's puzzling to me that Tesla would advertise this so close to delivery with a steering wheel that may not be legal, I sincerely hope this is true and that's not the production version.

Another article that gets the concept all wrong, just like TheDrive's article. It's not going to rotate like a standard steering wheel does. Just like airplane yokes don't rotate all the way around like a steering wheel. Throw that old thinking out. You're not going hand over hand with this thing. You're not palming it around like a steering wheel. You'll probably only turn 90 deg in each direction (if even that) and it will adjust the actual wheels proportionally based on speed. Also, I want to point this out at the bottom of the article: "SHIFT is brought to you by Polestar. It’s time to accelerate the shift to sustainable mobility. That is why Polestar combines electric driving with cutting-edge design and thrilling performance." So... yeah, no lack of bias there.

Thanks. I didn't notice until I could zoom in the picture for the icons:

09 o'clock position: Left turn
10 o'clock position: Right turn
11 o'clock position: Headlight
13 o'clock position: Horn
14 o'clock position: Wipers
15 o'clock position: Microphone

So instead of pushing on the center of the steering wheel, maybe I could push on the 13 o'clock position for the Horn. Or maybe I'll just leisurely scroll the scrolling wheel until the correct icon lights up then push on that scrolling wheel.

Sounds like too many steps just to become a whistleblower!

So we will either see a raft of incorrect actuations, like failing to turn on a turn signal and blowing the horn instead -- or more likely, people will just give up on trying to use turn signals. Ridiculous to have to remove your hand from the wheel to actuate the turn signals, which today you can actuate with a flick of a finger while keeping your hand where it belongs. And I can imagine a lot of inadvertent actuation of wipers, on dry glass, causing more scratches....un-freakin'-believable.

Reactions: danarcha
So we will either see a raft of incorrect actuations, like failing to turn on a turn signal and blowing the horn instead -- or more likely, people will just give up on trying to use turn signals. Ridiculous to have to remove your hand from the wheel to actuate the turn signals, which today you can actuate with a flick of a finger while keeping your hand where it belongs. And I can imagine a lot of inadvertent actuation of wipers, on dry glass, causing more scratches....un-freakin'-believable.

Doubtful this yoke will rotate more than 90 degrees in either direction (if even that), so why can't you just keep your hands on the wheel and hit the buttons with your thumb?

• Helpful
Reactions: moa999
Another article that gets the concept all wrong, just like TheDrive's article. It's not going to rotate like a standard steering wheel does. Just like airplane yokes don't rotate all the way around like a steering wheel. Throw that old thinking out. You're not going hand over hand with this thing. You're not palming it around like a steering wheel. You'll probably only turn 90 deg in each direction (if even that) and it will adjust the actual wheels proportionally based on speed. Also, I want to point this out at the bottom of the article: "SHIFT is brought to you by Polestar. It’s time to accelerate the shift to sustainable mobility. That is why Polestar combines electric driving with cutting-edge design and thrilling performance." So... yeah, no lack of bias there.

I understand the concept, but is that actually legal? Is the limiting factor the shape of the steering wheel, the size of the wheel, or something else?

Either way, I think having a non standard shape and sensitivity for a steering wheel is not a good UI/UX practice. Every other car in the world has a fine view of the instrument cluster with a round wheel. This offers less flexibility for places to put your hands, increased sensitivity for things like parking and low speed driving. That might be fine, but making your drivers have to mentally retrain themselves for one car is crazy. It's a solution looking for a problem.

Additionally, it's unnecessary divisive and seems like a classic time where an engineer was able to overrule the marketing department. No one would have complained if the car came with a standard wheel with the some enhanced physical controls. However there are absolutely people that won't buy the car because they don't like the wheel. Even if it turns out that the new yoke provides a better experience than a traditional wheel, some traditionalists will never want to switch to a car with that sort of unconventional setup. There is only downside here no matter how good the technical aspects of the solution are.